Trace

September 2006--- Best & Worst

Best: Not sure yet.

Worst: If it isn't Civil War #4, then there are some fuck-awful comics out there which I'm glad not to be reading.

I honestly have no idea. didn't read a lot of comics this month. oh wait, Flight Vol.3, probably. much better than vol.1 and 2.

well i read civil war 4 in the comic store in 5 minutes. lots of fighting but it bored the hell out of me. the explanation for Thor's return was pretty weak too. im sure the series overall will be ok, but so far its meh. way better than Crisis tho.

im sure the series overall will be ok

Really? On the evidence of the first four (of seven, so it's already over halfway through) issues, I can't see where this confidence is coming from. The art has been nice enough, I suppose (although the latest issue was noticeably inconsistent), but the plotting has been pretty poor throughout.

I enjoyed Infinite Crisis rather more, although I wouldn't necessarily say it was much better. Flawed, inaccessible and violent as it was, though, it at least had a sense of spectacle and over-the-top FUN which has been sorely lacking from Civil War to date.

i guess the marvel characters resonate a little more with me. DC continuity is way over my head most of the time so i guess thats why didnt get half of the Crisis story. i thought the action was pretty well coordinated in the first 3 issues, so i guess my (semi) interest in the book comes from my need for mindless stooperhero action. im mostly into vertigo and wildstorm so a good entertaining yet mindless read is what im looking for in Civil War. but then again the book isnt completely over so you cant say for sure it will suck. but yea, the latest issue was by far the weakest; art and story wise.

or i could just say im supporting an Atlantic Canadian artist so ill read the book even if the story ends up blowing complete chunks.

Can I nominate Wetowrks #1? Carey rocked my world on Helklblazer, I absolutely loved the Nergal arcs, and Lucifer ranks on my all time favorites list, so I figured this for a no brainer. I had no clue what was going on and the macho (even Red was macho) characters did nothing for me. Anyone else jumping head first into the new Wildstorm line?

I signed up for Wildcats, Authority, and Midnighter too, but they aren't in yet.

Anyone else jumping head first into the new Wildstorm line?

I signed up for Wildcats, Authority, and Midnighter too, but they aren't in yet.

I'm in for Wildcats, Authority, Deathblow and Midnighter. I picked up Wetworks but giving it a brief skim through -it doesn't look so good.

When is WildCATs #1 coming out?

It was supposed to be released in Sept. we have one more week of Sept., and it's not listed for next week as of yet.

I've read the solicitations for October, and Authority #1 is scheduled for the last week of Oct, but there's no mention of WildCATs being delayed into Oct.

yea i thumbed through Wetworks #1 and it didnt look so good. i dunno...maybe its Portacio's art but i just couldnt see myself getting into it. its ok KM, Carey's new creator owned Vertigo project is due soon. it will redeem him im sure.

and Wildcats#1....DA FUG?! i thought it was this week? what happened?

I don't really have any nominations for best comic yet, though I did like Hellblazer #224 a lot.

I have none for worst because I haven't seen anything that begs to be considered for the honor as Hellblazer #223 did in August.

Guest spiderlegs

Best: HellBlazer 224

Worst: Marvel

I don't pick up any Marvel titles even in passing when I'm At the shop. I don't even download any of them--they're totally off my radar.

I know what you're talking about. I just LOOKED at a cover and I got an infection in my right ear. Stay away from those Mighty Marvel Titles, True Believers!

Mike Carey is writing his magnum opus for Marvel right now*. Show some respect!

*Take your pick....X-Men or Ultimate Fantastic Four.

Ed Brubaker's D.D. is good.

Peter David's X-Factor you all should be reading.

umm...What else? What else?

Neil Gaiman is writing a book that is so underwhelming (Eternals) that you need to read it just to see how little passion Gaiman has left for comics....

You're reading a book that makes no sense (MK) while bashing (through claiming that Marvel is worthless) one of my favourite titles each month in David's X-Factor!

You awful, awful man!

Actually the whole comic landscape is pretty bleak right now.

When you add up all the companies, I'm buying a lot of comics, but if I look at each company individually and how many of their comics are actually worth my time, the industry is looking pretty barren with spots of pure pleasure hidden away amongst the desert sands.

Guest spiderlegs
Mike Carey is writing his magnum opus for Marvel right now*. Show some respect!

Well, now see, I wouldn't have known that unless I heard it here. I used to love Dare Devil but the movie killed any love I had for that character. Was there ever a Marvel/DC Batman/Dare Devil crossover? I always thought that would be cool, if done right.

Poor Carey, saddled with artists who couldn't draw a paper bag, much less their way out of one. Portacio and Bachalo? What did Carey do in a past life to piss off the comic gods so?

Best: Astonishing X-Men

Worst: Wetworks

Honorable mention: X-Factor, Hellblazer

Dishonorable mention: anything to do with Civil War

Well, now see, I wouldn't have known that unless I heard it here. I used to love Dare Devil but the movie killed any love I had for that character. Was there ever a Marvel/DC Batman/Dare Devil crossover? I always thought that would be cool, if done right.

Yes, and it was horrible. Avoid it like the plague. I had it for a while and suddenly lost it. I could care less whoever stole it.