JohnMcMahon

Worldstorm

It seems that the first issues of Authority and WildCATs both deal directly with WorldStorm.

I didn't mind with Authority, as it was pretty well outlined what happened with the Authority, even if I'm not sure how it happened.

Although I am confused why it says "The WorldStorm Starts Now!" on the cover of both #1 issues. It seems to me that this is happening in the aftermath of the WorldStorm....?

I was thinking the same thing. "Why is the Carrier at the bottom of the sea? What happened to the Authority?"

But what if this is meant to be the first appearance of the Carrier before the Authority made it home?

No that won't do. There was talk in the issue about the Pope versus Muslims speech so it must indicate that this story takes place recently.

Unless....the WorldStorm was like the Crisis and reset the entire WildStorm Universe?

DING DING DING! We have a winner Johnny.

After Captain Atom: Armageddon. The Wildstorm universe was rebooted. I forget the character, but they hit the reset button after Captain Atom kicked all their asses.

So....Holy shit! We're back to early-90s Image comics again!

Rob Liefield is the hottest artist around.

Spawn is the top selling comic in the world.

People think Todd McFarlane is as great a writer as Neil Gaiman.

Oh god....Damn you, Capt Atom! Damn you to hell!

It's been rebooted, just alot of the events are going to be deal with current stuff and this is Morrison so he's going to some weird wild stuff going on.

The solicits for the next issue says that the team gets brutally murdered on LIVE TV, even tho they are trying to be a covert ops type of team.

That's more like it.

Wildcats #1 is pure 90s with just maybe a slight hint of knowing Morrison irony thrown in to even things out. The only downside is the (unexplained) Spartan/Voodoo shagging-under-darklight scene - had I not read about it on Newsarama, I'd have assummed it was a terrible colouring error. That aside though, big ballsy suphero antics ahoy - the second last page is a thing of silly beauty. For all its old-school feel, there're hints that things might take something of a turn.

The Authority #1 was....different...but in a way I think it had to be as the concept as a whole felt played out years ago. Still, I couldn't really argue against the opinion that not-having the title characters appear in the first issue of a bi-monthly series isn't really on. Having said that, the Navy guys trying to make sense of the bodies left behind in the aftermath of an Authority-style fight is one of my fav comic bits in ages.

Just finished Wildcats #1 and I quite liked it. Big colorful characters kick the shit out of stuff and that's pretty much all I'm after in this title. In Grant we trust.

Downloaded Wildcats 1 and had no idea what the hell was going on. I'll give Authority 1 a spin when it turns up on DCP.

Yay!

Wildcats #2 is now slated to appear some time in MARCH 2007, so I'm done with the 'monthly' title.

That'll be scans and maybe the eventual trade for me, way to fuck up you baby's relaunch Jim.

Atleast there is still The Authority. Did they say why it was delayed for that long?

Wow!

I hope it's the artist's fault (most likely it is) and not Morrison's, or I'm going to be scared that Morrison is taking the Warren Ellis route.

(namely, taking on too many titles)

As long as Authority is fine, I don't care. That's the only WildStorm book I'm interested in.

Nope, it's Lee's. He's been known for having a habbit of being late..Often times really late. I know that Allstar batman and Robin is delayed for awhile. But thats due to both Frank Miller and Jim Lee's fault.

Piss poor. Why don't you do us all a favor and release a nice 10 issue TPB? If I could be sure I would get that sort of thing I wouldn't be getting the floppies.

Atleast there is still The Authority. Did they say why it was delayed for that long?

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere recently that Gene Ha is working on the third issue right now, given that it ships bi-monthly and he's only on for the opening four issues, I'd expect the opening arc at least to ship on time.

Jim Lee's said that the delays on All-Star Batman are down to him, in terms of outside interests I seem to recall something about him working with Sony on the DCU online game. Having said that, Grant's writing a fuckload of comics at the moment so it wouldn't surprise me if both he and Lee were responsible for the delays.

It's frustrating cause I really enjoyed the first issue but I'm always looking for a reason to move to trades on a title and this is too good a one to pass up.

I know that Allstar batman and Robin is delayed for awhile.

A while? With issue #5 having just been re-scheduled (again) for January 2007, it'll have shipped a grand total of ONE issue this year. To be fair, that'd annoy me a lot more if I was actually interested in reading it, but still...fuck off, comics.

Christ, did it really start in 2005?

Honestly, I'm not demanding some kind of studio system be installed in the comic industry, but there's something badly wrong when editors lack power or balls to the extent that a bimonthly series should end up becoming an annual one...

Guest spiderlegs
The Authority #1 was....different...but in a way I think it had to be as the concept as a whole felt played out years ago. Still, I couldn't really argue against the opinion that not-having the title characters appear in the first issue of a bi-monthly series isn't really on. Having said that, the Navy guys trying to make sense of the bodies left behind in the aftermath of an Authority-style fight is one of my fav comic bits in ages.

I was wondering about that myself. Sure was risky, which I approve usually, but I was still like "who the fuck is this?" with the characters they DID introduce. I had no idea where I was being led until the last few pages. Do I need to read Worldstorm too? Really? That's going to turn me off of this until the trade... *grumbles*

I was really underwhelmed by WildCATS.

I've read most of the previous volumes and a decent chunk of the WSU.

All the concepts that Morrison spoke about in interviews literally fall out of Spartan's mouth.

It's the film equivalent of having an actor talk to the camera explaining the film's points.

Personally WildC.A.T.S:Vol 3 was utterly superb, but if the WSU has been rebooted, all that is lost.

Best thing Moore ever did on WildC.A.T.S was to end the daemonite war.

Are we back before that stage now?

Fuck.

Wow, in this issue Grifter recovers from his single issue bout of alchoholism :rolleyes: .

WildCATS:Vol 3 had Grifter in a wheelchair throughout.

It added oodles of characterization to him.

The art and panneling was quite lazy by Jim Lee's standards too.

I'll buy that there's some 90's irony happening here, but so far, all this feels like is a step backwards.

The Authority is another story alltogether.

Gene Ha's storytelling was superb.

It's the type of decompression I love, far more assured than Ellis' work.

I would have been quite chuffed if this had come out during the Eye of the Wildstorm era.

Deathblow #1 was pretty fab, was surprised to see old Wildstorm mainstay Ivana Baiul as Azzarello doesn't strike me as the type of guy who'd bother using established characters if he doesn't have to. Anyway, Cray's still alive and the artist draws a mean fucking grunt so I have very high hopes for this - the full circle nature of the story was grim, in a good way. I even liked the nod to Cray's old red facepaint, nice touch that.

Wetworks #2 was...better...I think. The action set-piece at the end was nicely put together but I'm still at something of a loss as to what's meant to be happening. An extra-dimensional vampire, with none of the usual weaknesses, is running around and being chased by Dane's new crew...I think. The vampire seems to be working with some unknown faction.

i have a lot of faith because it is grant morrison and unlike the rest of us he uses way more than 10% of his brain,but authority issue one has me rather nervous.it seems like an awfull lot of set up,maybe even too much.i'm going to buy issue two because i want to see gm write the authority,not because i actually care about what happens to whoever the hell we're meeting in the first issue.

another thing is that the first issue of morrison on a title usually really sucks me in.think of his first issue of new x-men,doom patrol,his recent batman start-they all grabbed me.this one,i dunno.