JohnMcMahon

Worldstorm

Well Deathblow seems to be coming out in a timely manner, but yeah if either The Authority or Wildcats are traded before the end of 2008, I'll be very surprised indeed.

Guest spiderlegs

I'm thinking Wildstorm may be on its way out. Almsot every move they've made has been to the disdain of most of the 27 people who still read the comics under its banner. Just a year or so ago, I thought it was really cool, but now, it's not cool really.

To be fair, if you hire a bunch of people who are known for being regularly late with scripts or art then what do you expect? They're just reaping what they sow.

Okay, so they didn't have much choice with Jim Lee, but was it really a good idea to get Morrison on two series at the same time?

I'm thinking Wildstorm may be on its way out. Almsot every move they've made has been to the disdain of most of the 27 people who still read the comics under its banner. Just a year or so ago, I thought it was really cool, but now, it's not cool really.

Yeah for a while there it was like Vertigo on ACID.

Guest spiderlegs
I wouldn't go quite that far, the plans for the relaunch were most excellent, it's just a shame that they never panned out.

John, need I say it..?

"The best laid plans..."

The world has an endless supply of great ideas that just never quite took off. One must look only at my music career to see a perfect example of this concept.

Wildstorm was my pick for top publisher of last year, thanks to Ex Machina, Red Menace and Desolation Jones. I've been aware of the "Wildstorm is in trouble" whispers, but didn't give them much thought — after all, this is the industry that made Rob Liefeld rich & famous.

Anyone remember the BRILL strip that ran in Eagle about the chaps who'd be sucked into real videogames of the day and had to compete against other players for...er...some reason that's completely escaped me ?

:blush: [Raises hand]

Speaking of retro goodness, I just got the complete Grant Morrison Dare from Revolver etc. :happy:

Guest spiderlegs

Well, I'm going to pick up Midnighter #7. Two years ago, we were kicking around existing titles that we'd like to see Darick Robertson draw and one of the consensus picks was the AUTHORITY (which seemed to become plausible with the move to WILDSTORM last year).

MIDNIGHTER #7

Written by Brian K. Vaughan

Art by Darick Robertson & Karl Story

Cover by Chris Sprouse & Story

Writer Brian K. Vaughan (Ex Machina, Pride of BagHdad), and guest artist Darick Robertson (TRANSMETROPOLITAN) deliver an all-out action issue examining the Midnighter’s abilities from a unique perspective. He’s the man who can anticipate any move to the nth degree — now we get an idea of what that means.

On sale May 2 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US

MDNTR_Cv7_solicit.jpg

And, starting on issue #5, Darick will be the artist on the new AUTHORITY title with new writer Chris Gage. And an issue of WETWORKS.

Hell motherfucking YEAH!

Oh. I thought Midnighter was only a mini. And after 5 issues Grant Morrison will be replaced on Authority?

Don't worry, that still gives you a good many years' worth of Morrison-penned Authority to enjoy.

Christos seems to be the new rising star over at Wildstorm.

They should put Grant's run on hold till it's all done and have Gage/Robertson takeover from #3 - hey, there's precedent for that on this particular title anyway.

Darrick on Wetworks could be rocking.

Oh and I'm pretty sure Gage on The Authority hasn't officially been announced yet.

Honeymoon's over.

The Authority is a tired concept and I won't continue to read it when somebody I never heard of starts writing it. I thought GM would bring a great deal to this book but so far there's not much too it we haven't already seen.

I'm still down with Midnighter and Deathblow, at least for now.

[/crabby]

Guest spiderlegs
Oh and I'm pretty sure Gage on The Authority hasn't officially been announced yet.

Oh...uh...oh...sssshhhhh!

I've never read anything by Gage,and I do not think that this is the ideal title for Robertson,but at this point,anyone who can put out a few issues and try and keep this title alive is plenty welcome.

Morrison writing this seemed too good to be true,I should've known.

Guest spiderlegs
Midnighter #7 was presented using a different sort of storytelling device (not going to spoil it). It's been done before, but it works really well to tell Vaughn's one shot tale of Midnighter vs. a chick and her borg-esque henchmen. Darick's artwork is cool and Karl Story's inking is awesome. You can tell a difference in the way Midnighter #7 and any issue of The Boys is inked (Darick inks his own work in Boys). Darick said Karl Story is one of the best.

Anybody think this threatened outbreak of Milliganism at Wildstorm looks interesting?

If Milligan was as good or as weird as he used to be ten or twelve years ago, then yes. As he is these days it could go either way.

I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt as it's an ongoing Milligan thing that doesn't involve any X men.

What else does he have except The Programme? That's all I've heard about (which sounds a lot like The One).

What's the deal with comic creators focusing on the Cold War so much? It seems like that'd be a bit dated as a theme in 2007.

What else does he have except The Programme? That's all I've heard about (which sounds a lot like The One).

What's the deal with comic creators focusing on the Cold War so much? It seems like that'd be a bit dated as a theme in 2007.

I'm thinking of the Programme.

There seems to be a wave of nostalgia for the cold war at present as some people (notably most of the current GOP) are finding it hard to cope with the ways global realpolitik has changed since the collapse of the Soviet Union and China's refusal to play the big bad wolf for Bush.

There's also a very obviously tie in with the current fuss about the possibility of "rogue nations" acquiring nuclear weaponry.