Tim Bradstreet

The One-Off issue.

Flinch #1 - found it.. will be uploaded in my post above in a matter of minutes.

There are quite a few of the one-off artists who I would not mind seeing back.

Lloyd, Adlard, Bermejo, Jock, Talbot.

People will always choose their faves, so I'll nod for Carla Speed McNeill and Christian De Metter http://www.lambiek.net/de-metter_christian.htm

And I have an affection for specific stories being done in specific styles, so Fraser Irving (Lovecraftian Constantine), David Hitchcock (Victorian Constantine) and Chynna Clugston Major (punky Constantine).

There's a couple of friends of mine who'd be good in the role:

Roger Mason http://elvander-arts.members.easyspace.com...oger_mason.html

Sam Hart http://www.samhart.hpg.ig.com.br/comics09.htm

I really hope that Tim'll forward the link to this thread to bigshots at Vertigo...

I was going to mention Carla Speed but her work doesn't really seem to translate well to WFH, or maybe it's just working from other people's scripts - her stint on Q&C was far from her strongest work though I quite liked her efforts on Frank Ironwine.

Yeah, Frank Ironwine had a nice mood'n'feel that would suit a good Hellblazer story...

Oh yeah...Danijel Zezelj is my #1 choice for a Hellblazer one off.

Yeah, Rogan, I thought Phil Hester and Andre Parks did some good work on Green Arrow.

All excellent suggestions, though let's try not to bash (however innocently) anyone's suggestions.

Let's keep it direct and to the point.

I probably won't forward the link to the editor for the simple fact that they hate it when they get suggestions from fans. Well, not all, but even when most do take a suggestion from something a fan mentioned they don't like to admit it. Hell, some won't even take suggestions from their own artists and writers! Rather than test those waters I will put together a list of artists and contacts from the cream of the crop of our topic and preface that list with my feelings about this subject. Like I said before, there are no promises. This is just a hope list of talent that I would like to bring to the book. I want to make my point to Vankin but keep this his baby. He's the editor, that's his territory and I want to respect that. My only agenda is raising the quality of a series that deserves to be seen and appreciated by more.

I hate it when I hear stuff like "I don't read comics about magic. Magic just doesn't do it for me.", and crap like that. Hellblazer is a book that deals with magic to be sure, but there is so much more to it. People say shit like that because they haven't been inspired to pick it up. In many cases they only know of the title through it's reputation or from the one issue they read.

In my experience, most people will like anything that is outstanding, regardless of genre.

The "magic" comment above actually came from the lips of a die-hard Sandman fan. So you see why I think the comment is not only hypocritical but a lame excuse. I hear that kind of stuff all the time though.

Ok, so my point here is, Hellblazer could be more accessible to other fans if we injected a dose of top talent (known or not so). How many comics out there today in America can boast a 17 year run? Not a lot, the reason is because as series' continue, they can languish. I'm not saying that is happening with Hellblazer, far from it. It seems the book has always lured the top writers, and in some cases, artists. The main thing here is to prevent it from languishing. Let's face it, sales aren't what they used to be. Yes, we LOVE our comic that IS NOT the flavor of the month but that doesn't mean that it can't stand out more in an industry where the very best stuff is so hard to find. I want Hellblazer to stand up and say . . . "'Scuse me folks? I'm standing right fucking here!"

Thanks for the links Rogan and Ade, very helpful, even with the fookin popups.

And also, Ro . . . . I think I might be coerced into changing my name too if it was Enes :biggrin:

Can't wait to hear more of your suggestions everyone.

- TB

okay, i won't bash Mr. Hester anymore.

Heck, i'll even post a sample of his recent work...

l8vnumriser0005.jpg

Hmmm, Alex Maleev, Ryan Sook, Tommy Lee Edwards, Carla Speed McNeil and Duncan Fegredo are all pretty high up on my list. I don't think we should be pidgeon holing Fegredo as a "humourous" artist though, I'd love to see him do something grimy.

I'd also like to see, Steve Yeowell, Paul Chadwick, John Totleben, Alan Davies, Hitchy, Darick Robertson, Gene Colan and Michael Gaydos.

I think we should leave it to James and/or Ade to bother with compiling all the mentioned artists in a single list, then we'd sort it out, get a smaller group, post their artwork, and finally narrow it down to 5-6 names, with at least 15 "reserves"... :)

i'm a bit optimistic, ain't i?

maybe even Jim Lee (who I think could do something very fitting and stylish

Damned straight. I'm not familiar with his superhero work, but he did a lovely story starring Lucien for DC's 9/11 book and a stunning blood-soaked pinup of Lono for the 100 Bullets anniversary issue, "Mr. Branch and the Family Tree" (Foregone Conclusion, I think). On a similar note, Eduardo Risso would be choice, but he'll probably be difficult to get hold of.

Actually, for anyone who has that 100 Bullets issue - who did that lush all-blue picture of Cole Burns? Does he do sequential stuff too? Pencil him in for sure.

I'd like to see Frank Quitley take a stab at it, since the Constantine in his Life in Wartime covers looks superb. I understand he has troubles with monthly schedules, though, so I guess he couldn't do a full-on multi issue arc.

Whoever said John J Muth - I was going to suggest him as well but I don't know if he does any pencil/ink work. I figure getting 21 pages of painted art out of someone within a couple of months might be tricky.

I'd definitely be in favour of a David Lloyd issue or two provided he's allowed to do it in that pseudo-monochromatic style that he's used before, but I can't see it happening in the modern market.

God, this took longer than expected. The contenders so far, in order of appearance:

Philip Bond

Phil Jiminez

Tim Seelig

Mike Mignola

Ted Naifeh

Duncan Fegredo

Tony Harris

Corrado Roi

Sean Philips

Jae Lee

Jim Lee

Ryan Sook

Colleen Doran

Kyle Hotz

David Mack

Alex Maleev

Mark Silvestri

Ted McKeever

Daniel Zezelj

Jamie Hernandez

Paul Pope

Tommy Lee Edwards

Charles Vess

John Bolton

Scott Hampton

John J. Muth

Dean Ormston

Peter Gross

Scott Hampton

Enki Bilal

Glenn Fabry

Ryan Sook

Phil Hester

Charlie Adlard

Bryan Talbot

Fraser Irving

David Hitchcock

Chyna Clugston Major

Carla Speed

Steve Yeowell

Paul Chadwick

John Totleben

Alan Davies

Hitchy (?)

Darick Robertson

Gene Colan

Michael Gaydos

Gene Ha

Eduardo Risso

And I'll add Richard Case.

Wishing you hadn't bothered now, Tim?

Wishing you hadn't bothered now, Tim?

Not at all James ;)

So let's keep 'em coming.

I'd like to give this a bit of time on the boards so everyone can weigh in.

I've reconsidered my approach to Jon Vankin with this a bit.

Seeing the names in a list (thank you James) inspires me to think, why not let the fans speak?

Once we have a larger portion of options I'd like to take a vote here at Straight To Hell and narrow the submission list to ten names. Those ten along with a few of my recommendations will go in the final email to editorial.

One thing to keep in mind. Any "painter", meaning the artist really only does painted projects and not black and white would be exempt from the list. The reason is because of the page rates. There is no painted rate for interior Hellblazer pages, we don't have the budget. That's one of the reasons Doug Gregory did black and white and not painted way back in "Bred In The Bone".

So unless the artist also has a black and white style they are most likely out. Unfortunate but alas. . . Nothing can be done about that.

- TB

Well I'd second that, but I figured that it went without saying

Tim, maybe you could revise that list based on what you know of the artists - whether or not they would be prepared to do monthly work rather than specials, or if they only do painted work.

Yeah, i'd presume names like Bolton and Vess are probably unavailable/painters only, so there's no point in getting them into the top 10 voting polls, is there?

One person I forgot off my list was Ethan Van Sciver.

As much as he loves those superhero books, his horror work in days gone by was splendid. And he already works for DC :-)

Once we have a larger portion of options I'd like to take a vote here at Straight To Hell and narrow the submission list to ten names. Those ten along with a few of my recommendations will go in the final email to editorial.

The polls on these boards only allow for a maximum of twenty options, so you might have to do them in "heats", where we pick our favourite artist out of five or ten options, and the winner or winners move on to the next round.

It might just be easier to throw the list at Vankin and give him Chinese burns till he starts ringing them all up though.