Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Tom Willecome

I'm beginning to think I'm being followed...

... by Keanu Reeves.

Figuratively speaking, of course.

As some of you might be aware, I'm a very big James Ellroy fan so you'll forgive me if I get a little spooked out by this news.

Keanu fans can rest assured though, as this film is an original screenplay by the great man so I therefore have no frame of reference with which to make any comments on Mr Reeves' suitablility, or lack thereof, for the role.

Keanu Reeves, James Ellroy and Spike Lee?

Now THAT'S thinking outside the box!

Who exactly are James Elroy and Spike Lee? I've never heard of them...I wonder if anyone in Holland knows 'm. Can someone catch me up on them?

can't wait to see James Elroy messageboards overcome with Keanu-fans... ;)

do you think there's a part for Shia in there somewhere? :p

Now your avatar reminds me of that old chap from Boondock Saints, who keeps shouting profanities... :D

Who exactly are James Elroy and Spike Lee?

I can't speak for James Ellroy, but you're not missing anything with Spike Lee.

ah, a pretty boy-toy male prostitute that ran into the wrong punter?

How would they take care of the pretty part, with plastic surgery or CGI?

Tom, thanks for the Ellroy info. I had never heard of the guy before, though I've heard of LA Confidential. I'm thinking about looking for a couple of his books now.

I didn't mean to totally rip on Spike Lee. I've liked every film of his I've seen (She's Gotta Have It, Jungle Fever, Do the Right Thing, Malcolm X), but I've read that he has anti-Semitic portrayals of Jews in one movie, he isn't totally cool about gay people, and he's kinda sexist, so I'm not saying everybody should love his movies either. But he's made many movies over the past 2 decades, and some of them are IMO well worth seeing.

I thought 25th Hour was his best film in a while. Do the Right Thing was quite the classic too. But yeah he really is very hit and miss. Some of his movies, like Bamboozled, are just messy, hit-you-in-the-face polemics.

Never heard this anti-Semitic thing before, btw. Which movie is it associated with?

According to one review there were anti-Semitic character portrayals in Lee's movie about the jazz musician. That was a movie I never saw, so I can't comment from direct experience there.

I don't get this thing about Lee's movies being "hit and miss." Is that recent? The movies I've seen by him were all earlier ones, and all were pretty good. Maybe his more recent ones are often not that good? (She Hate Me sounds like a real piece of crap, but I have a strong antipathy toward media portrayals of fake lesbians intended to tittilate men.)