Andy Diggle

Andy Diggle's Q&A thread

In case any younger readers are wondering:

nickoteen.JPG

Nick O'Teen meets Superman

Christ, i've never seen that, and i'm clearly old enough to have. that's good stuff. From the accents that was a UK thing, right. Did it ever air in the states?

Guest spiderlegs

How long will your run be (I only just found this thread and I skimmed some posts, sorry)?

For length of arcs, I'm quite a fan of the stand-alone issue or the 2-parter, myself. Not that that matters, but as long as everyone was chipping in...

Welcome aboard Andy!!!

First things first, Straffe's mom is already dead.

With Carey's final three issues, the Gift and R.S.V.P parts 1-2, he positively changed the Hellblazer landscape.

Namely, having John himself finally realizing that he's addicted to magic (But really the con, but he's close enough) and the perhaps a tad juvenile and extreme, his destruction of the Constantine-Cave of Streatham to prove just that.

Post Carey, Denise initially played John's magical hesistation quite well.

So...1).How do you find tackling Constantine now after these monumental (and appreciated) developments in his character?

Can he leave magic but Magic wont leave him?

Will he come full circle?

Again? (Fox card, butterfly card, Fox card again)

Is it his own vicious circle?

Are they more like spirals than circles?

And finally...2). How would/could that differ to the core theme of John affecting change in his life in Paul Jenkins run?

Simply put, where is John at this stage of his life?

Andy: when did DC first approach you to work on the book and how long did it take you to develop your long-term plans?

The editor approached me in way back in May, although I didn’t start planning my run in detail until some time later - I had too much on my plate at the time.

And the question that always gets trotted out when a new writer comes along: if Hellblazer were to finish while you were writing the book, would you kill off John or have him walk off into the sunset?

Sunset. Definitely. Who the fuck am I to kill off John Constantine?

Will Chas continue to be somewhat set apart from Constantine (as he was in the closing parts of Carey’s run) or will he revert to amiable sidekick?

Wait and see.

Arse biscuits. There goes the John Constantine/Straffe’s Mum team-up issue.

How do you find tackling Constantine after these monumental (and appreciated) developments in his character?

It actually ties in rather nicely with where I wanted to take John anyway, so it’s all good. I don’t think people change; not all that much. They always revert to type in the end.

How would/could that differ to the core theme of John affecting change in his life in Paul Jenkins run?

Case in point. John reverted to type there, didn’t he? Tried to get rid of all his shit and then found that he couldn’t function without it.

My run’s not going to be about John getting rid of parts of himself he doesn’t like, so much as John trying to re-assert some measure of control over his life.

He’s tired of being played; he wants to be a player again.

Best news i've heard all day.

Another question: if John's back in the Smoke and has lost all of his major magical connections there thanks to the business at the end of Mike's run, is any chance of a return for Det Insp Watford? I always liked him as a character and would love to see him back in the comic. Just so long as you don't try to explain where he got his name from... nothing could live up to what Ellis implied. :)

Another question: if John's back in the Smoke and has lost all of his major magical connections there thanks to the business at the end of Mike's run, is any chance of a return for Det Insp Watford? I always liked him as a character and would love to see him back in the comic. Just so long as you don't try to explain where he got his name from... nothing could live up to what Ellis implied. :)

Yeah, I like Watford. But come on, aren't you at least curious to find out what happened in Watford High Street... ?

Oh yes, but it'll have to be amazingly perverse to live up to its promise. I'd expect rubber, whips, cream, drugs, mannequins, rivets, bones, vaseline and livestock at the very least.

And even if you manage to pull that off, you'd live the rest of your life hoping that social services don't get hold of a copy of the comic...

EDIT: Having said that, I suddenly had an image of it not being sex related at all, but being some Mr Bean/Curb Your Enthusiasm-style catastrophe. That would be fun to see. The fact that I assumed it was sex related at all probably tells you more about me than I'd want to let on...

Brilliant... is there a bigger reason behind this or has he just had enough? (now he just has to go and pick up the blue suit from the dry cleaners...)

The suit was aqua, wasn't it? (Searches in vain for "vomit" emoticon)

:biggrin: Ouch!

And the question that always gets trotted out when a new writer comes along: if Hellblazer were to finish while you were writing the book, would you kill off John or have him walk off into the sunset?

Sunset. Definitely. Who the fuck am I to kill off John Constantine?

You're the guy they hired to write the book. It's yours now. Personally, I'd much rather see you do big things with it than just keep the franchise ticking over.

But feel free to vote in the "Happy Ending/Unhappy ending" poll. :)

Arse biscuits. There goes the John Constantine/Straffe’s Mum team-up issue.

"I'm shagging Straff's dead mum. Do I win a prize?"

mr diggle: if forced to spend a month on a desert island,one equipped with electricity and housing,what would you bring if allowed the following-a never ending supply of what food?a never ending supply of what alcohol? what five films released in the past 16 years?

what is your honest opinion of brian azzerello's hb run?

if hb were an hbo show and the budget could afford it who would you cast as john?

i seem to remember jock saying something about you two someday doing an aisha ogn or one shot,think that may still happen in the next few years?

if forced to spend a month on a desert island,one equipped with electricity and housing,what would you bring if allowed the following-a never ending supply of what food?a never ending supply of what alcohol? what five films released in the past 16 years?

A month on a desert island with electricity, housing, and an unlimited supply of food and booze isn't a desert island - it's my fucking honeymoon!

what is your honest opinion of brian azzerello's hb run?

I think it created a very effective atmosphere of pervasive dread and foreboding, although for my tastes I'd have preferred less build-up and more pay-off. I liked the subtlety and understatement of John's magic use - such as the cigarrettes and the would-be shower rapists. And I think it reads much better in trades.

if hb were an hbo show and the budget could afford it who would you cast as john?

Clive Owen.

i seem to remember jock saying something about you two someday doing an aisha ogn or one shot,think that may still happen in the next few years?

If the Losers movie gets off the ground, we'd like to do a mini or one-shot. So hopefully, yeah.

If the Losers movie gets off the ground, we'd like to do a mini or one-shot. So hopefully, yeah.

Is it true that Pete Berg is attached to this? I really like that guy. All the way back from his great role in The Last Seduction.

And while I do agree that you should do big things with the series now that its your's, I have to say I breathed a bit of a sigh of relief at the sunset answer. I get antsy these days about Constantine's chances of survival.

Will you be sticking around these boards once your run starts or will you dissappear into the ether only to return after you've finished up?

Why do you feel that you made a mistake on trying up loose ends on the Swamp Thing book? I quite liked it.

I don't know what Andy Diggle will reply, but probably the fact that everything Diggle brought to the book was reversed within a few months would make me regret even bothering.

I wish "Bad Seed" would've stayed a mini-series. It would've been a nice way to wrap up the story of Swamp Thing.....until DC decided to relaunch the character in a few years again, anyway.

Brilliant... is there a bigger reason behind this or has he just had enough? (now he just has to go and pick up the blue suit from the dry cleaners...)

Sorry reading back through you explained this at the time by saying he wanted to exert some control over his life. I guess what I'm trying to ask is what's the underlying reason though, or do we just have to wait to find out. I love the idea, it's where his character came from all those years ago but why push and interfere now, is it just purely that he's just had enough shit, enough feeling guilty or is there a more thought out moral basis? Why not just curl into a ball as he seems to be on the edge of doing so often recently?

Unrelated just wondering what series or mini series have impressed you most in the last couple of years? I notice you said that Mike Carey and John Paul Leon night be doing a one off special which is great as I love Mike's work and Winter Men with Leon's art has turned out to be one of my all time favourite mini series.

Great news!!!

Sean Phillips says that it's safe to say that he'll be a Hellblazer guest artist for atleast one issue, maybe two if he has the time between an ongoing Criminal, and both a prequel and sequel to Marvel Zombies.

Guest artist?

He's the definitive Constantine artist for godsake.

Concerning the Green Arrow:Year One mini-series you are writing, is it going to be grittier, as in the tone of the Mike Grell series, or more light-hearted superhero oriented? Will it be focusing on Green Arrow's political beliefs?

Since we're on it. If there's isn't much chance of some characters appearing (no good reason for them show up) will they (and what happened to them) be mentioned somehow?

Any chance of a Demon Constantine appearance ? I am looking forward to your run , it sounds promising .

Did the demon Constantine die when he had his throat ripped out? Or did that happen a before Carey's run, because I can't remember.