Andy Diggle

Andy Diggle's Q&A thread

Just read this thread. I'm an old Moore and Delano era reader who is working his way to present via the trades. I've not started reading the monthly again because I'm still missing...10 or so years of continuity. BUT, assuming you're really not going to continuity nazi me Andy, I think I will start to buy the monthly again with the start of your run. It seems a good jumping-back-on-again point.

Questions:

JC: G&T or lager?

And for you? (its my round...)

We going to see Johnny dress for success again?

May we please have the magick back? (Its a matter of WILL, not being tossed to and fro...)

That's all for now. Thanks for the Satre quote up there on page one, and thanks for intending to get JC back on his game.

I know I'm not Andy but... Guinness, surely?

I would hope, but I've seen all sorts of coloured pints in front of him. Lager is what sprang forth from the mess of my subconscious when I posted. :blink: Perhaps he's a secret real ale aficionado?

I know I'm not Andy but... Guinness, surely?

What would you say to a pint of Guinness?

Fuck off Guinness.

Thank you.

Well, I've lurked for a little, and said nothing. After reading through this thread, I have to say that I have good faith in you, Andy. I mean, in some sense, I'm not a Constantine purist. I just love the character so much that it doesn't bother me so much when a Hellblazer comic sucks. It seems to me, Andy, that you will do him justice in story and in character. I suppose my confidence/respect is because you almost seem to be picking up Constantine as a biography more than a fictional character you have to make up some shit to. A good many people de-mystify characters in the name of popularity, but I"m begging you to keep John the same old conman/magician/bamf that he's always been.

In summary, I appreciate it, and can't wait to see what you have in store. I appreciate your interaction with the fan-base (if for no other reason than that you're a fan yourself), and aw-hell I'm drunk, so I'll leave it at that.

I mean, in some sense, I'm not a Constantine purist. I just love the character so much that it doesn't bother me so much when a Hellblazer comic sucks.

Sounds like you think of HB like pizza, even when it sucks it's still pizza.

I mean, in some sense, I'm not a Constantine purist. I just love the character so much that it doesn't bother me so much when a Hellblazer comic sucks.

Sounds like you think of HB like pizza, even when it sucks it's still pizza.

that's pretty accurate, not to downplay what constantine means to me. in a lot of ways i really care about the character and what happens to him. i mean if diggle or the next writer makes him a hitler-esque character who takes over the world and abuses women i'd have a problem (which i trust no one would do in their right mind), but as long as constantine is the cynical bastard he's been all along, i'm just interested to know his history.

i mean if diggle or the next writer makes him a hitler-esque character who takes over the world and abuses women

I would totally buy that miniseries.

Questions:

May we please have the magick back? (Its a matter of WILL, not being tossed to and fro...)

I was about to give straight answers to each of your questions, but I realised it might spoil things a little. So you'll just have to wait and see.

I have to say this question of exactly what JC drinks is a good question. See, though, what we're asking is liquor or beer? And well, sometimes you have beer and sometimes you have liquor. I could see JC enjoying a good gin and tonic, but didn't he drink whiskey in the first comics (like Fear and Loathing)? But sometimes, being British means you just gotta have a pint, and he might for a Guiness or Killians or whatever. Don't have him drink whiskey though, G&T seems more his thing. It's like the rugged mans hint of sophistication.

I have to say this question of exactly what JC drinks is a good question. See, though, what we're asking is liquor or beer? And well, sometimes you have beer and sometimes you have liquor. I could see JC enjoying a good gin and tonic, but didn't he drink whiskey in the first comics (like Fear and Loathing)? But sometimes, being British means you just gotta have a pint, and he might for a Guiness or Killians or whatever. Don't have him drink whiskey though, G&T seems more his thing. It's like the rugged mans hint of sophistication.

First time you see him drink (in Swamp Thing) its a G&T. Delano usually has him sucking back a G&T (see the Horrorist for a recent example). BUT, when Delano has him drinking to numb himself (issue 2 after Gary Lester...I'm not spoiling things am I?) its whiskey. I can't recall when he had his first pint.

I quite agree that we go for different things depending on mood, time of day, season. If I'm in bar with shit beer, I default to highballs. However, I expect neither John nor most self respecting Brits would order Killians as a matter of preference. Its a Coors product. ;)

Questions:

I was about to give straight answers to each of your questions, but I realised it might spoil things a little. So you'll just have to wait and see.

OK. In the meantime I got us some pints.

I just went to the shop today and added HB back on to my list. I do however have one question, If Johnny boy comes to the states any chance he'll spend some time in Tejas, that's Texas for the gringos? I think it would be interesting to see him interact with some of my peeps.

He's there investigating the Aurora UFO crash as we speak....but it's ultra-hush-hush, so keep it under your big ol' hat!

But seriously friend, there are no plans for John to visit the States at this time, but who knows what the future holds, True Believer? If enough merry marching zombies request it, you know we'll have to listen, because our fans always come first.

Jenkins had him drinking the black stuff:

hb120-last.jpg

As did Ellis in Telling Tales. And Mina at the start of Empathy is the Enemy:

hellblazer2161.jpg