Sign in to follow this  
Mick

Holy Shit!

Ok, so i had a hatred for such as superman and batman..

Well i still hate superman but i've descovered i really like batman!!! I've been turned around on the matter the worse way though, THE FILM. I recently picked up batman begins, dont know why just fancied it at the time, after watching it i realised wow bat man kicks shit, so i went out and baught a couple of recent comics (detective comics) which i really liked as they were simple and weren't half way through any stories, i just enjoyed the solving the crime thing about them.

Anyway so now i would like to read a bit more of him so i plan on picking up a couple of trades, One classic and one recent as i know just about shit all of the character (just the bit i read a while ago and the old films).

So any recomendations? i'd prefer them without crossovers with characters such as superman and minus Robin (if possible) Im off for them tomorrow so as soon as, if possible.

Ok, so i had a hatred for such as superman and batman..

Well i still hate superman but i've descovered i really like batman!!! I've been turned around on the matter the worse way though, THE FILM. I recently picked up batman begins, dont know why just fancied it at the time, after watching it i realised wow bat man kicks shit, so i went out and baught a couple of recent comics (detective comics) which i really liked as they were simple and weren't half way through any stories, i just enjoyed the solving the crime thing about them.

Anyway so now i would like to read a bit more of him so i plan on picking up a couple of trades, One classic and one recent as i know just about shit all of the character (just the bit i read a while ago and the old films).

So any recomendations? i'd prefer them without crossovers with characters such as superman and minus Robin (if possible) Im off for them tomorrow so as soon as, if possible.

Read Batman: Year One and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, by Frank Miller!!! Do it now!!!

What Jaynova said, with urgency. Really, those are the first two Batman trades anyone should check out, to say nothing of being two of the best superhero comics ever written.

As for 'classic' Batman trades, if you can cope with somewhat dated '70s dialogue and narration, it's hard to go wrong with Tales Of The Demon (which includes the original introduction of Ra's Al Ghul) and Strange Apparitions.

For 'modern' Batman stories, Balthazar's recommendation of The Long Halloween is quite a good one. Beyond that, it's worth investigating Ed Brubaker's short-but-good The Man Who Laughs (it's a direct sequel to Year One, so you should read that first), Matt Wagner's Batman And The Monster Men, and, while they're not technically 'Batman' books (he appears in the stories, but as more of a background character), the first two Gotham Central trades, In The Line Of Duty and Half A Life (especially the second one) are absolutely brilliant.

Ish. Great, great art, but the story tries a bit too hard. It's too self-consciously late-'80s/early-'90s grim'n'gritty for my tastes.

the first two Gotham Central trades, In The Line Of Duty and Half A Life (especially the second one) are absolutely brilliant.

No mention of Soft Targets? Shame on you. Shame!

Is that out in trade yet? Excellent. Yes, that one too, it's ace.

Hmmm i think i stated classic in my term as in classics (greats) not oldies sorry.

Read Batman: Year One and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, by Frank Miller!!! Do it now!!!

Already leaning towards The Dark Knight Returns so maybe i'll just pick them up, unless theres any really great titles featuring Scarecrow or Two face.

My first choice, through reading wikipedia, was The long halloween as it has characters i already know from the old T.V show and films, but on Amazon the cheapest i can find it is 50 Smackers which is a bit much.

i'll keep all recommedations in line as i'll probably be buying one trade a week now for next month or so as i did with hellblazer so i can get a handle on batman.... possible gay joke... DAMN.

I'll echo the above and tell you that Year One and DKR are were it's at.

Also you should check out Batman/Manbat by John Bolton and Jamie Delano and Arkham Asylum by Grant Morison and Dave McKean.

I'm going with Lou's recommendation of Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison.

And, Batman:The Dark Knight Returns goes without saying.

I was incredibly bored by Batman:The Cult.

Batman:The Long Halloween is out of print?! I find that hard to believe....

It should be available new, and I think it cost me like $15.00, American.

That would be my third choice actually, even before Batman:Year One.

I didn't.

I assumed since Mick said the only copies he found were going for 50 smackers on Amazon, that the book must be out of print.

I can't figure out any other logical reason why the book would be selling for that price....but it is Mick....so maybe there isn't anything logical in his comment....

CC! How about a little Going Sane?

There are a few pre-issue-100 Legends of the Dark Night issues worth reading if you can be bothered to track them down.

Also you should check out Batman/Manbat by John Bolton and Jamie Delano and Arkham Asylum by Grant Morison and Dave McKean.

Manbat?! Sounds cool. And I think a story about Arkham will be good as from what i gather from a few old swamp things and wikipedia theres some kick arse villans in there.

I dont know if long halloween is out of print its just what i saw on amazon, if i can find that that will be a definite.

CC! How about a little Going Sane?

There are a few pre-issue-100 Legends of the Dark Night issues worth reading if you can be bothered to track them down.

Yeah, those are good, but most of them aren't collected into Trades. There's a couple LOTDK Trades, but "Going Sane" isn't in any of them.

That sucks that DC never even collected one of the greatest Batman stories ever....The greatest Joker story ever....

LOTDK was sort of ahead of its time, I think. Most of the stories were 4 or 5 issues, each story-arc divided perfectly. Those early issues would've been perfect for the "collect every story-arc in Trade" format that the comic companies are doing today.

Is that out in trade yet? Excellent. Yes, that one too, it's ace.

It's out in Unresolved Targets, which is a shit title but an excellent trade.

Ok so i went slighty over my £20 i wanted to spend and knocked up to ohhhhhh £40.

Money well spent though, i got The dark Knight Returns, The long Halloween ( CHUFFED! No idea why its so much on amazon as it cost me £13) and then picked up Batman year one The Scarecrow, of course not realising it was part one of two Damn, all in Ok comics.

Then i was walking along the headrow (this was leeds by the way) on my way to the bus station when the rain became unbearable so i went in Forbidden planet to warm up a little, and while looking through there batman trades not really intending to buy (damn i hate people who do that!) i noticed As the crow Flys so i just had to buy it (scarecrow and all).

I noticed Arkham asylum in ok but with Long Halloween and Dark knight returns i thaught it best to leave while next week, that coupled with another of your suggestions.

Cheers guys. :D

And... now just baught part two to batman year one scarecrow, best be good now.

There are A LOT of Batman trades out there. And by a lot I mean entire walls full. Be careful. And get Year One by Frank Miller, for shit's sake.

Also, beware, as the two Scarecrow books you bought are deeply disappointing. As the Crow Flies has some very pretty artwork in it, but it's a terrible story.

The Year One: Batman/Scarecrow one isn't horrible, but both the art and story are fairly lacklustre. I wasn't terribly impressed with it.

Didn't read the Batman/Scarecrow thing, but I've got to echo Grinning Fellow's take on As The Crow Flies. Complete and utter art-biscuits, with nice enough art, but not good enough to salvage a badly-executed, appallingly-conceived script.

Batman/Scarecrow:Year One was ok. It's a pretty good, if different, Scarecrow story. And Scarecrow is an interesting character. Hardly worth your time to go out and hunt down right away though.

When is the next issue of Batman coming out anyway? It's not scheduled for next week yet either.

Ok another question.

What is the core batman title, i picked up detective comics and enjoyed them but they dont seem the kind of title that adds to continuity really as they were all one shots.

Batman is the core Bat-title.

Right now, Grant Morrison is writing Batman, and there are some big happenings there.

Detective Comics seems to be the book that is dealing with reintroducing the Bat-villains right now.

There were periods of time where Batman and Detective Comics crossed over into each other all the time, making them both about equal.

But, since at least the 1970s, Batman has been the core Batman title.