Sign in to follow this  
Balthazar

Hellboy Cartoon

How the hell did he get a copy and I didn't? :icon_evil:

And how the hell do you know about it and I don't? :mad:

I'm looking forward to the sequel, especially since Del Toro's grown as a filmmaker by leaps and bounds since he made the first installment.

And to make this even better, it gets filmed in Budapest!

I'm looking forward to the sequel, especially since Del Toro's grown as a filmmaker by leaps and bounds since he made the first installment.

If you're referring to Pan's Labyrinth when you say that, then steel yourself for disappointment - del Toro's always had a split in his career between schlocky horror/action flicks (Mimic, Hellboy, Blade) and slightly more grown-up horror/drama movies (Cronos, The Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth).

Actually, he's one of my favourite directors for this very reason; he's just as good at triggering the critical, slightly pretentious film buff centres of my brain as he is at triggering the blood 'n' violence action parts.

Unfortunately, for me at least, his schlocky horror/action flicks aren't really that good. I enjoyed Hellboy (although not as much as I'd hoped to), but I never really understood the Blade-love which lots of people seem to share, and I thought Mimic was one of the worst movies I've ever paid money for at the cinema.

The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth, on the other hand, are absolutely magnificent (I still haven't seen Cronos).

Guest spiderlegs

I'm right there with you on Blade. The best thing you can say about the Blade films is that they are perfect fodder for ripping on MST3K-style. I mean, the jokes set themselves up. But I've had to be careful because the fans are fairly hardcore and don't like their little vampire buddy lampooned in such ways as I lampoon him...batfly.gif

While Blade 1 was semi-cool, the sequel was embarassing to watch.

I totally forgot that Del Toro made those too.

I liked Hellboy, even if sometimes it slowed down a little and missed the chance to light every firework they wanted to display, respectively being badly executed here or there.

Guest spiderlegs
Youre right, that was Stephen Norrington.

Del Toro directed only the second.

Really? The second one was even worse! I'm dismayed, I am!

I absolutely LOVED the first Blade movie. The second one I had to watch a few times to really start to enjoy it. Hated the third one.

But back to topic, I'll be watching the next HB cartoon this weekend. Thanks for the heads up. And just like how I felt for Blade 2, I had to watch the Hellboy film more than once until I finally liked it. I first saw it in the theaters and didn't like it and for some reason decided to buy the DVD and still didn't enjoy it and wondered why I spent good cash on it. It was finally the third watch that actually grabbed me for some reason and I think its a fantastic movie now! :happy:

Hellboy: Blood and Iron was surprisingly good. Much, much better than the other animated movie. The animation seemed a little better, less cartoony, and the direction was leagues better this time out, particularly in the action sequences.

No JLU, but enjoyable enough.

3/5

Guest spiderlegs
Hellboy: Blood and Iron was surprisingly good. Much, much better than the other animated movie. The animation seemed a little better, less cartoony, and the direction was leagues better this time out, particularly in the action sequences.

No JLU, but enjoyable enough.

3/5

I finally located it. The boy and I will watch it on Saturday, this. He's 9, so the first one was bad-ass as far as he's concerned.

Guest spiderlegs

It was better than the first animated one but still left it lacking. The animation style is too generic. This one was scarier though. It scared Sam so badly we had to turn it off and I continued watching it after he went to bed.