23 members have voted

1. 1. The More Or Less Likely Poll For December 2004

• I am getting more likely to see this film
    • I am getting less likely to see this film
    • I was going to see this film and still am
    • I wasn't going to see this film and still amn't
    • I am Tom, you know the score

I will say that Keanu's

stock is rising on HSX and the Constantine stock is holding steady or going up slightly -- and the buzz seems to be positive for the most part --

HSX?

Hollywood Stock Exchange -- a place to do virtual stock trades based on films and

actors --

A failed adaptation doesn't necessarily equate to the movie being a 'giant, steaming heap of dung'.

However much it pains me to do so, I have to agree with that. I have to admit that if it were not for the fact that this is a horrible adaptation of HEllblazer i'dve been interested in the film. If I'd never heard of the comic, I'd be in the theatre on opening week what with the great actors (Keanu aside, though he Has done a good role or four) and an occult theme. I'd see most things with Peter Stormare, Djimon Hounsou and Tilda Swinton in them. Plus I'm a sucker for the whole occult thing. It's one of the reasons I started reading Hellblazer, the other being my having loved Constantine's character in the Books of Magic (which I also picked up due to the occult connection).

A failed adaptation doesn't necessarily equate to the movie being a 'giant, steaming heap of dung'.

But box office success won't mean it isn't one.

Delayed release dates and reshoots typically don't bode well for a movie. I think it'll make a brief spike in box office numbers, and then fade out quickly.

Just saw the new trailer, and the opening, "Whoa, cold" made me want to puke and cringe in a corner to sob like a baby. :icon_cry: And more shots of the Holy Shotgun. :icon_mgun: ARRGGHHHH!!!

Definitely not wasting any money on seeing it. If I happen to catch it on cable, I'll see it then. I'll stick with rereading my issues, and my Hellblazer trades.

Delayed release dates and reshoots typically don't bode well for a movie.  I think it'll make a brief spike in box office numbers, and then fade out quickly. 

Just saw the new trailer, and the opening, "Whoa, cold" made me want to puke and cringe in a corner to sob like a baby.    :icon_cry:    And more shots of the Holy Shotgun. :icon_mgun: ARRGGHHHH!!!

Definitely not wasting any money on seeing it.  If I happen to catch it on cable, I'll see it then.  I'll stick with rereading my issues, and my Hellblazer trades.

Not to keep beating a lame horse but this film's release date was set over 8 months ago and has not changed. And EVERY hollywood big budget film has budgeted PICKUPS and RESHOOTS - it's a luxury, not a black mark. If your theory were correct than EVERY movie ever made would be marked for failure.

This film will do fine with your without your support. And I imagine you will be there on opening night to prove to everyone how lame it is.

I am going to see this film and believe it will be the best movie I will see this year.   I know it will be great because it has Dirty Harry of the occult, a fun and wacky sidekick and a girl in a wet t-shirt.   What else could you want?  And yet the filmmakers went out of their way to improve on the comic by adding much needed gun play and lots of CGI demons.  I hope they do a sequel where John goes up against Blade.  I can't wait!

Never thought I'd say this, but...

I :heart: TearsInRain. I giggled out loud at that one.

Still not going to see the film, though - but then, I probably wouldn't have bothered even if it wasn't a frustratingly unfaithful 'adaptation' of one of my favourite characters. A 'slick, stylish occult thriller' starring Keanu Reeves, complete with the obligatory cod-industrial soundtrack, green filters, decent actors 'slumming' in secondary roles, and lashings of CGI? That really couldn't be much further from up my street without Jim fucking Carrey popping his head in somewhere.

Mind you, Rachel Weisz does look very pretty in the trailer. I likes Rachel Weisz, I does.

This film will do fine with your without your support.  And I imagine you will be there on opening night to prove to everyone how lame it is.

Nowhere is star and movie worship worse than in the industry itself. You need to step out into the real world once in a while, where most people don't want to deal with opening night crowds, and don't think the opening night scene is amusing, fun or cute. And outside of fans of certain actors, no one here cares vaguely that much about this movie. I hope to see it well after the crowds, if any. (The trick may be to see it before it leaves the theaters.)

This film will do fine with your without your support.  And I imagine you will be there on opening night to prove to everyone how lame it is.

Nowhere is star and movie worship worse than in the industry itself. You need to step out into the real world once in a while, where most people don't want to deal with opening night crowds, and don't think the opening night scene is amusing, fun or cute. And outside of fans of certain actors, no one here cares vaguely that much about this movie. I hope to see it well after the crowds, if any. (The trick may be to see it before it leaves the theaters.)

I hate opening weekend myself, but I do believe movies like this are best seen with an audience. Call me old fashioned but I like the communal experience of watching movies with a crowd. The jumps and scares, laughs and even stupid plot points are so much more fun when 500 people are all thinking and reacting the same way. I'm sure I'll be called a sheep but DVD's at home alone feels a bit like masterbation. Sure it's fun but it's double the fun when you masterbait with friends.

While I do rather prefer to watch most films by myself personally, for popcorn-munching action/thriller/horror type movies, Tears has a good point (I'm on his side twice in as many days! What're the odds? ;)). The communal experience of cinema is a large part of the appeal for a significant percentage of the movie-going public, not just 'industry types'.

Course, it depends what sort of films you go for. I'm more a 'pretentious drama/arthouse' type myself, although by no means exclusively so, and my enjoyment of those films tend to be marred by noisy cinema crowds, rather than enhanced, so I often end up waiting to catch them on DVD instead. When I go to the cinema, which is quite often when I can afford it, it's generally more to see bigger-budget affairs, although again, there are plenty of exception.

I don't get this "communal aspect" of cinemagoing. In England, at least, the audience is usually silent all theway through the movie (the only exception I've experienced being Mars Attacks which recieved two cheers when the Houses of Parliament were destroyed and the Presdent was killed and a standing ovation at the end).

I don't like going with friends for much the same reason - why spend time with your friends if you can't talk to them? And only a couple of the people I know like to discuss a movie once it's finished, so you don't even get that.

You were in America, weren't you? Why didn't you just shoot them?

Shoot the moving picKtures, our John? i guess he stopped when he received this prestigious award :

mrsmiley7wp.jpg

Or did you mean shoot the Constantine producers, James?

Ah, the movie-going crowd, you mean...

And only a couple of the people I know like to discuss a movie once it's finished, so you don't even get that.

That's a large part of the appeal, to be honest. Although as I said, personally I tend to go to the cinema alone, given the choice.

I hate opening weekend myself, but I do believe movies like this are best seen with an audience.  Call me old fashioned but I like the communal experience of watching movies with a crowd.  The jumps and scares, laughs and even stupid plot points are so much more fun when 500 people are all thinking and reacting the same way.

Actually Tears, I agree with you on this one. I want to see Constantine with a noisy audience. But I want it to be the right noisy audience. I remember seeing Godfather III with a crowd that wisecracked about our (San Francisco's) corrupt mayor putting in a cameo, and clapped as Coppola's daughter died on screen. I also have fond memories of seeing Barfly in a sleazy little theater where one of the patrons mockingly imitated Mickey Rourke. I'm hoping I'll be sitting with an audience like that with this film. Otherwise, I'll be happy to laugh loudly at the "wrong" times when I think the movie is really lame. 8-)

What I'm hoping to avoid is a performance full of bullshouldered young morons who are really "into" action movies.

If you go to a good cinema in Holland audiences are quiet becauze if you make noise they kick you out. Except with comedies, then you're allowed to laugh. But i once went to Gothika in a bad one and everybody was screaming (litteraly) thoughout the whole movie!! I was so pissed. But I'm with the ones that prefer to see a movie in the cinema when it's a big budget movie. Movies like that just don't have the same inpact when you watch them on yer PC/TV.

But drama's I never see in the cinema. I always cry like a baby and it's really awkward (and kind of dumb too) doing that in public :icon_redface:

On a related note, and still terribly off topic, we have a load of Europeans around so here's one for you - can you drink alcoholic beverages in your local cinema ?

Despite our image as the universal drunkard, you can't buy a beer and watch a movie in the cinema here - though the big multiplexs do often have their own bars, so you can have a pint and then walk ten feet to the screen that's showing the flick you're there to see.

Likewise, what's the food situation like ? Are there on-site facilities for burgers ? Chinese ? Nachos ?