Sign in to follow this  
rakshadefrommeta

most heartless bastard purchase.

i bought an autographed hardcover of sandman season of mists from a store in cambridge and there were a few others on the shelf too,but they were al pricey and i could only grab one(45$)

these were all new items as i shopped here every few weeks or so.i asked him where he got all this stuff(also saw autographed american gods,mr.punch,stardust etc.)he explained that he recently bought someones entire comic collection for pennies on the dollar.it turns out the guy who these used to belong to recently got a divorce.his former wifes attorney is a rather prominant pitbull of a lawyer in the boston area and he simply raked this man over the coals so to speak.she got his collection,not for monatary reasons or because she saw them as art but out of pure spite.they each have a car and that is damn near all he got to keep(other than clothes and some appliances etc.)

this woman then proceeded to drive two longboxes filled with lots of gaiman and even an autographed watchmen hardcover to the nearest shop(the one i frequent)and "bargain" for what i was told was about ten seconds,then she told the owner there out in the car and he brought all of the stuff in and soon after it all started to fly off the shelfs.i almost felt bad because this guy apparently needed other stuff more than his comics,though he probably had to wait in line days for all these autographs(i think he said there were about 15 of them)i still bought the book though.it's what i would grab should fire take my apartment.

the shop owner said that he "fucked her over royally" and that most of the books were purchased using either her alone or sometimes there joint credit cards and the autographs are harder to put a value on.i kept asking the guy for more details but he knew nothing but what this woman told him while she was inside the shop,which he said was less than five minutes.

he ended up paying her a grand tatal of eight hundred dollars cash for both boxes and in a few months he told me he had made well over four thousand dollars and still had about 30% of the collection in stock.

One man's misfortune is another man's gain, eh?

Fuck it, tell yourself the guy was a total prick and you're doing everyone involved a favor by buying these books.

Fuck it, tell yourself the guy was a total prick and you're doing everyone involved a favor by buying these books.

Or tell yourself that, yes, this guy got hosed, but if you don't get the books, someone else will.

What do you want them sitting on some cold impersonal shop shelf? Dammit, they belong in a good home!