JohnMcMahon

Scar Face

I pointed that out in the 201 thread.

It'd be nice to see it last, but I'm expecting some kind of body rebuilding thingummy at the end of the "John goes to Hell" arc.

You guys need to lay off the booze during lunchtime!

It's on the left-hand side of John's face in every panel of 202. It was far less visible in 201.

Sorry, I misread your post.

h4.jpg

You can see it stretching down from his left eye in that bottom panel. It loks like a wrinkle, but it's a permanent addition. At least, I hope it is - though I can imagine them "healing" it for ease of continuity. It'd be a shame, though. A little reminder of his 200th issue with each appearance...

Chicks dig scars ya know...a big ole scar on the cheek looks cool as hell but I don't think it'll be permanent. It'll be like the ear-ring or tree tattoo, something that other artists will forget to draw. I mean he didn't have it in his latest Swamp Thing guest shot and that suppossedly takes place after the current storyline.

It's no wonder the scar was missed in Swamp Thing.

I think it's kind of like if it's not an edict from up high, then there isn't a priority to make absolutely sure that continuity is followed. If Vankin was editing Swampy he may have caught it. If Mike was writing it he'd have clued the artist to it and referred him to issue 200.

But, diff writer, diff artist, and diff editor = lost continuity.

I'm glad you guys brought this up because I really like the scar. It gives JC yet another level of "been throught the shit". I've been meaning to find out whether or not it is a permanant scar. I will email Jon and Mike about this very thing. Jon will probably leave it up to Mike.

I just finished the cover for issue 208. JC is on the cover WITH scar. So you can count on at least 6 more issues of it. When I get word from the top I'll let you all know.

- TB

nice to hear we'll be seeing it on the covers too, Tim...

shgould i dig up more pics of the scar?

Tim, if you twist someone's arm to make it permanent, there's another drink in it for you.

To be fair, the Swampy issues were probably being written way before this particular storyline was even concieved, let alone details like the scar being written. I don't think it's fair to blame anyone for that.

Chicks dig scars ya know...a big ole scar on the cheek looks cool as hell but I don't think it'll be permanent.  It'll be like the ear-ring or tree tattoo, something that other artists will forget to draw.  I mean he didn't have it in his latest Swamp Thing guest shot and that suppossedly takes place after the current storyline.

Well I like it, scars add character. I also haven't got #202 yet so I hadn't seen this, looking at the previews quickly I thought it was a wrinkle. Be nice if it is permenent.

It'll probably last as long as Manco's drawing John, and the next artist will forget all about it, unless the writer manages to remind him. Like the tree on his arse, and his earring.

Yikes! I could be totally wrong, but I think only a very few numbers, like 3.

Now, the earring issue at least makes sense! John got older, decided he didn't want it anymore, took it out and let the hole close over. Simple!

Tattoos aren't that easy to explain just not drawing it when you see John's naked arse.

It appeared in an Azzarello issue, I think, after Higgins had forgotten to draw it in one of his Haunted issues (or did he remember to draw it? Ironically, I appear to have forgotten).

This is a bit off topic but along with these little tidbits about John's life . . . Where the hell is he keeping himself now?

He's been so displaced since the memory loss that he seems not to have had a place to lay down his head. I know as recently as the Red Sepulchur arc he flopped at the Clerkenwell Guest House (not sure if I spelled that correctly). But since he left there, has he had any kind of semi-permanant place to call home? It seems like he's been wandering in and out of trouble for like 10 or more issues. I'm reading scripts for up to 207 and I can't think of anywhere he might be staying currently. I'm sure Mike could shed light on the subject but I was just sitting here reading posts and wondering. Constantine may just be the most transient quasi-hero in comics. I'm ready for an issue where all he does is share a few beers with Chas, shags some hike-skirt nubile in an alley and then goes home to read un-opened mail until he falls into a blissfull sleep. Then he can go back to being up to his ears in shit.

Not complaining mind you, just curious.

- TB

He's been so displaced since the memory loss that he seems not to have had a place to lay down his head. I know as recently as the Red Sepulchur arc he flopped at the Clerkenwell Guest House (not sure if I spelled that correctly). But since he left there, has he had any kind of semi-permanant place to call home? It seems like he's been wandering in and out of trouble for like 10 or more issues.

Well directly after Staring at the Wall he was in Ward 24, then the arcade, then he was homeless for a while... it was only on the last page of 200 that he got back on his feet. So no, we don't know where he's been staying for the past six weeks. Clerkenwell's a strip club-cum-brothel these days, so obviously not there.

Probably just holed up in some little B&B somewhere.

CHrist, there can't be many series around where the readers clamor for more normality...

"We wanna see where he lives"

"We wanna see him on the bog"

"We wanna see him drink beer"

Instead of:

"We wanna see him fight Magneto"

"We wanna see how he got his powers"

:lol:

There also can't be many comics where the fans cheer when the protagonist gets shat upon from a great height.