JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

Christian    734

Did you say Ellis is only writing the initial story-arc on this "Iron Man" series (first 6 issues)?! I thought he was full-time writer!

If he is only on for 6-issues, I can see why he's not trying to introduce too many side-plots, other than the one John mentions.

JohnMcMahon    562

Happy new year man - far as I know he's only on for six issues - frustating cause he managed to set up an interesting premise in a few pages that he won't be around to address.

Anyone pick up Quit City ? Wasn't in the shops here, probably come out next week.

Josh    6

Not surprising that he isn't going to stay on all his books. I mean, how many titles does he have going?

The guy that owns the comic store that I patronize considers Ellis to be an idea guy who starts things out, but doesn't necessarily stay with them. Around the time Iron Man first came out and Ocean had two issues going, he predicted Ellis wouldn't stay with some or all of these books.

Lou K    1,054

Quit City was out in the shops around here this week. Didn't pick it up, tho, doesn't look like my kinda thing.

I didn't realize that Wozza wasn't going to stay on Iron Man. That sucks.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Did Tony Star become a chain-smoker yet?

And how is nanotechnology used this time? You can't have Ellis without a healthy dose of nanobabble ;)

JohnMcMahon    562

Yeah, bit like shooting fish in a barrell when it comes to slagging Ellis' love of technobullshit - Iron Man is full of it, and it often veers dangerously close to a parody of Ellis wallowing in his excesses but like I said, it all seems to come together somehow - at least for me anyway!

JohnMcMahon    562

Quit City : Nice strong character piece this though the art breaks down really badly in a couple of panels - almost like a five year old got her hands on the pages in question and finished them up!

sethos    5
They say The Invisibles inspired The Matrix, but you just know they nicked all the slow-mo bits off Ellis.

actually, what came first: The Matrix, The Invisibles or Dark City?

Rogan    176

Matrix - 1999

The 13th Floor - 1999

Dark City - 1998.

Invisibles - circa 1994, i believe...

Equilibrium - 2002

jaynova    1
Quit City : Nice strong character piece this though the art breaks down really badly in a couple of panels - almost like a five year old got her hands on the pages in question and finished them up!

Agreed on the story, but I liked the art! It was kind of scribbly in places, and remided me of Dr. Katz.

I hate that these books Ellis is doing are 1 shots! I would read Quit City and Frank Ironwine.

Christian    734

I actually managed to catch Ellis' "Justice League" cartoon episode tonite!

I usually either forget when the show is on or when I remember it I'm busy. So, I've only seen a handful of episodes, but I really enjoy the show.

Anyway, Ellis' episode was pretty good! It wasn't the best of the shows I've seen, but was far from bad. Good stuff!

wolvy    57

I saw the begening. But missed it a 2nd time!! I was at the part where Superman talks to The Atom, And then right after that I had to go eat dinenr and missed all the funny quips and good stuff. Damnit. Hopefully it will be on again.

sethos    5
I saw the begening. But missed it a 2nd time!! I was at the part where Superman talks to The Atom, And then right after that I had to go eat dinenr and missed all the funny quips and good stuff. Damnit. Hopefully it will be on again.

I loved the fact that Ellis managed to get away with Wonderwoman keeping the Atom in her cleavage, :biggrin:

JohnMcMahon    562
Agreed on the story, but I liked the art!

For the most part I thought it was fine but there were a couple of panels - the shot of the Atomikwotists all together looked like a barely legible smudge and some of the backgrounds, in partiular the building on the last page looked shit.

The highlight of the Ellis JLU episode was the first scene that the Atom was in - it was textbook Ellis.

wolvy    57

"I"m going to lay here awhile Katie.. I'm old.. I get tired."

The Atom is the Luckiest guy on earth.. He was inbetween Wonder Womans boobs. And if i'm right. Diana is suposed to the PERFECT woman.. Looks wise.

JohnMcMahon    562

Wolvy quoted the bit I was talking about - after a scrap with some fiesty bacteria, the Atom tries to take a breather and spouts some typical Ellis dialogue. There's a funny bit later on with Batman - think I mentioned it at the start of this thread.

Don't think the series has hit the UK yet.

wolvy    57
I need air support or back up...Now..Seeing as how I Cant fly
Something like that. I missed that part, but a friend of mine told me about it.

Christian    734

Yes, I liked the Batman characterization. He was falling to his death and still calm!

Wonder Woman was an S&M bondage fantasy creation. Far from perfect though, as she has a man's body with boobs!

Anyway, the plot was a spaceship crash lands on Earth and makes replicating nanotechnology robots which can't be stopped. Eventually, they would overwhelm the Earth. The JLA gets called in, and needs to find a way to stop it. The Silver Age Atom gets called in.

I think that's a nice plot summary without spoilers.

wolvy    57

If you think Wonder Woman has a Mans body. You should read Rucka's WW. She is not only HOT, but badass to the xtreme.

I missed a few episodes. The Booster Gold one, The one with Hawk an Dove, and the Final episode with Grundy. Oh an I missed the rest of the "Sins of the Youth" episode too.

Josh    6
Yeah, bit like shooting  fish in a barrell when it comes to slagging Ellis' love of technobullshit - Iron Man is full of it, and it often veers dangerously close to a parody of Ellis wallowing in his excesses but like I said, it all seems to come together somehow - at least for me anyway!

Ellis is the one comic writer I can think of who has the technochops to really write a young tech company CEO/inventor. He gets his jive from extensive reading it looks like, and I'd be very surprised if he hasn't spent a bit of his time reading interviews of important tech industry figures.

JohnMcMahon    562

Oh yeah, the problem isn't that Warren doesn't know his stuff - it's that he (and more importantly, the characters he writes) won't shut up about knowing it!

And just cause it still gives me a grin -

Batman (while falling through the air) : I need air support.

Batman : Now.

Batman : On account of not being able to fly.

Batman : At all.