JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

Josh    6

I read Invincible Iron Man #2 for the second time and I'm impressed by how well-balanced the issue is. It has a love interest, corporate intrigue (Stark's board trying gain control over his company so it can do moneymaking stuff he's opposed to), the conversation complete with Ellisian tech and mind-alteration contemplations, insight into the characters, and the antics of the ultra-violent "enhancile". Quite a bit happens in this issue (at least two subplots, character development, action), showing that the Master of Decompression is capable of giving us a full book's read when he really wants to.

To be honest I'm happy that Ellis will only be doing 6 issues on the book. I think he decompresses when he's working on too many books at one time, because plot and dialogue are harder and longer to write then decompression. Six issues may be as long as he could focus on this title without shorting its writing for another title. I'm not saying I'm not apprehensive that the next writer might fuck up this very nice-looking thing that Ellis is putting together, however. But if there are six good issues on this title, so be it, I'll enjoy them.

wolvy    57

Writer delays or Artist Delays?

Hopefully #2 doesnt end with a massive cliffhanger..

Christian    734

The book was originally on a 6-week solicitation status anyway.

I'm sure it's artist delays.

Josh-A lot of the stuff you mention about "Iron Man" #2, I've seen countless times in the "Iron Man" series. There wasn't anything very original in what did happen. That could be a problem for me as a long-time Iron Man reader.

Lou K    1,054

I dunno...I was pretty impressed with the unarmed man taking on a whole FBI building. The art looked great, especially when he would land punches and splatter people's faces.

Apparently Iron Man #3 won't be out till the middle of April!

What the fuck? Bummer...

Rogan    176

I just read Angel Stomp Future and Simon Spectre, and they are both good, actually... wouldn't mind seeing more of these, but not as an ongoing series, but perhaps a few miniseries...

Rogan    176

from Warren Ellis's BAD SIGNAL :

For those of you keeping track at home, the script for PLANETARY #23 went in last week. It's called "Percussion", and it's about The Drummer. It's also about what Elijah Snow is really up to. #22, by the way, explains why Elijah hasn't been telling certain people he has William Leather in custody -- John told me the other day that that issue is at the printers.

I'm into the fourth IRON MAN script now -- I've been deliberately staying just a script ahead of Adi Granov, so I can keep tuning the script to his strengths as I discover them. Rich Johnston tells me there's some stink about the solicitation schedule on IRON MAN being extended again, and all I can tell you is that it's news to Adi and I. Adi's going slower than he expected because he's trying to get it right, and I think maybe I broke him by making the first episode 32pp long, but we're moving along. As I said to Rich, it sounds like bad information to me. And the pages are gorgeous.

And to forestall any more email on the subject: no, there are no second issues of any of the Apparat books. I thought you all understood that. The four books were it. William at Avatar has tried to get an Apparat 2 out of me, but I don't think I have it in me right now. I'm just happy I did it at all, at this point. I haven't seen the printed books yet, and feedback was light, but I'm glad they exist. No matter the source of their inspiration, they were original works, and original works are necessary.

I need to go and see if I can turn DEAD CHANNEL into a novella now.

JohnMcMahon    562

Um...you guys are on a six weekly schedule and Adi hasn't finished the third issue yet ? Seems like 4/5 of everything Warren does ends up with coming out late - maybe that's down to his choice or artists or his inability to furnish them with the scripts on time.

Rogan    176

no, no, John, you don't get it - he is actually just playing to their strenghts. It's just that their strenghts mostly consist of finishing late when working with WE... :p

EDIT :

Oh, and Quit City wasn't half bad, actually.

Mark    332
I'm into the fourth IRON MAN script now -- I've been deliberately staying just a script ahead of Adi Granov, so I can keep tuning the script to his strengths as I discover them. Rich Johnston tells me there's some stink about the solicitation schedule on IRON MAN being extended again, and all I can tell you is that it's news to Adi and I. Adi's going slower than he expected because he's trying to get it right, and I think maybe I broke him by making the first episode 32pp long, but we're moving along. As I said to Rich, it sounds like bad information to me. And the pages are gorgeous.

Not cool, Warren. If it's news to you that the next issue of a title you're working on isn't due out for months, then something, somewhere, has gone wrong. Admit to being a bit behind schedule, for goodness' sake. It's not like you're the first writer to end up in this situation. Denying that there's a scheduling problem when the book is so clearly running late just makes you look like an arse.

Issue #4's not out until July? Bloody hell. That's vaguely understandable on a mini-series, but this is a mainstream, ongoing title. That's a serious delay.

JohnMcMahon    562

That's three issues a year - Gary Millidge manages to write/draw/ink and publish Strangehaven once a year all on his lonesome and his art's easily as strong as Adis, hell it's more realistic and lacks the static platic look so evident on Iron Man.

sethos    5
That's three issues a year - Gary Millidge manages to write/draw/ink and publish Strangehaven once a year all on his lonesome and his art's easily as strong as Adis, hell it's more realistic and lacks the static platic look so evident on Iron Man.

speaking of which, does anybody know what's happened with that latest issue of Strangehaven that was supposed to come out last month or so?

Josh    6
The book was originally on a 6-week solicitation status anyway.

I'm sure it's artist delays.

I'm happier if they take their time and get the book right.

Josh-A lot of the stuff you mention about "Iron Man" #2, I've seen countless times in the "Iron Man" series. There wasn't anything very original in what did happen. That could be a problem for me as a long-time Iron Man reader.

Maybe, but the book feels different to me than the title ever has before, including the take on Stark and the sheer currentness of Ellis' view into the corporate and tech worlds, as well has his political take, bringing in anti-war activists, including what I thought was a very well drawn portrayal of the middle-aged to older left activist documentary maker, as well as Stark's old hippie friend. These characters are older than I am, certainly older than Ellis, but he has a really good handle on the types of people they are.

Okay, a lot of the elements of the story, if described broadly, are familiar. But Ellis and his artist are handling them with a deftness that one doesn't always see in superhero titles. The title hasn't been able to hold my attention ever since I started seriously buying comics in the early 90s, and it's a title I've wanted to like. This is the only time I can remember being really interested in seeing what the next issue would look like.

Josh    6
I dunno...I was pretty impressed with the unarmed man taking on a whole FBI building. The art looked great, especially when he would land punches and splatter people's faces.

Yes. The sequence was just deadly serious without any clownishness or cuteness. Between the art and the action I thought it came across very well.

wolvy    57

I see Ellis is on the Joe Mad schedule...

Really I find it odd that its news to him that its going to be late.. TWICE.. It might cause me to drop the title.. I was really enjoying it, but shit.. Making us wait that long is just idiotic..

Christian    734

I can't see Marvel putting up with that! That's nearly as bad as "NYX", and that just got away with the shite it did because the E.I.C. was writing the damned thing!

Maybe Ellis takes so long because he actually LIVES his art? You know, because he loves decompressed writing, so maybe he lives that way? Get it?! No...Oh, ok....

:icon_frown:

Lou K    1,054
I can't see Marvel putting up with that!

Me niether! Cully Hamner got dropped from Punisher becasue he wouldn't keep up with the deadlines and he's a fucking great artist. Why kiss Wozza's ass? I guess kuz he'll sell books no matter what.

King Mob    0

Just wondering, has anyone read Ellis' Come in Alone stuff? Either in the collected or online versions?

Bought the collected trade last week and am just getting into it now. Very entertaining, and damn smart too.

Mark    332

I'm not buying that, simply because it's all still available online. Some good stuff, though. Every so often he goes off on a tangent all of his own, and loses his ever-tenuous grip on whatever point he's trying to make at the time, but that's the nature of polemicism. Well worth reading - search through the archives at CBR if you're curious.

King Mob    0

Yeah, saw the collected version last week though and couldn't resist. Just read the wonderful Dave Gibbons' severed head anecdote.

Great stuff. Can't wait to read the rest.