JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

Rogan    176

wasn't he all about "these are one-shots, there will be no sequels, there will be no Apparat 2" just a week ago?

Mark    332

Yes, he was - it's possible he's going to do some more Apparat one-shots, with different characters, though, which would make him only partly a liar...

Josh    6

Some news from Colleen Doran, who I believe is doing the art on this book:

"It doesn't look like Stealth Tribes is going to make release this year either. I can't tell you how sorry I am, but I know Warren is incredibly busy. I am really, really hoping for early next year. "

Rogan    176

didnt they preview Stealth Tribes in some poncy Times-like newspaper?

Josh    6

I don't know, but Doran had written about it months ago, I'm sure some time last year. Stealth Tribes has been on the burner for a while and its path publication apparently won't be smooth or short.

Mark    332

When's the last time any Ellis project actually managed to come out smoothly, quickly, and on time?

Guest spiderlegs   
Guest spiderlegs

Come on, the guy has blog and other websites he's got to keep posting on.

http://www.diepunyhumans.com/

http://www.warrenellis.com/

http://www.bloglines.com/public/warrenellis

http://del.icio.us/warrenellis

http://www.livejournal.com/users/mistersleepless/

http://www.artbomb.net/brainpowered.jsp

The guy spends more time online than any other human being in the world. How do you expect him to keep up with his writing schedule?

A. Heathen    1,125

Actually, he has one website to which those (that are still active) are linked.

Along with a few others.

He's a writer.

He writes.

And most of that stuff is put out spontaneously without all the thought, editing, rethinking and formatting.

(And he still writes betterer than many so-called "productive" writers)

Rogan    176
The guy spends more time online than any other human being in the world.

*cough* :angry:

Mark    332

Adrian's point is a good one - it's not like all of those links are actually even updated anymore (the 'mrsleepless' LJ account is no longer active, and his 'warrenelliscom' feed is just replicating the posts from his website, although he does occasionally turn up in the 'comments' threads).

Mind you, it's hard to deny that Ellis seems to be having real problems keeping to his publication schedule. Invincible Iron Man is suffering from ludicrous delays, the Apparat line came out behind schedule, Planetary went quarterly a while ago and still hasn't been entirely timely as far as I can tell, Darick Robertson has mentioned a number of times that the Transmet scripts kept arriving later and later as the series went on, resulting in some issues' art having to be rushed to keep to the approximate monthly schedule, and his upcoming projects are apparently slipping, too. Whether this is a result of bad luck, other factors or just laziness/arrogance on Ellis' part is open to conjecture, but it's definitely something of a problem for him.

sethos    5

I love his "I could write a good bond movie, really" piece on his website. cause even though I'm not sure I'd want Ellis to write it, he does understand the nature of the Bond character perfectly.

wolvy    57

Iron man is being delayed because Ellis and Granov. The artist doesnt understand that comics are a MONTHLY type thing.

I cancled Iron Man. It just wasnt going anywhere for me. I mean the art is all groovy an neat. But the story was dragging, and the delays werent really worth the wait.

I mean Ellis may be a good writer. But there are other "good writers" out there that manage to get stuff done ON TIME.

Brian K Vaughan

Garth Ennis

Greg Rucka

Mike Carey

Jamie Delano

Christopher Priest

Ed Brubaker

Peter Milligan

Judd Winnick

Brian Micheal Bendis (This guy writes like 9 titles a month and everything he does is always on time or ahead of schedule)

Chuck Dixon

You see. And some of those people have more projects on their plates then Ellis, and yet they get their stuff done on time. How is it possible that Ellis can be soo freaking late. He's pulling a Kevin Smith and He's not even working on directing Movies!!!

Mark    332

Agreed to some extent, Josh, but Ellis' consistent lateness on pretty much any project he takes on does smack of the kind of unprofessionalism which would get anyone else, in any other line of work, fired. It's kind of acceptable on his own, creator-owned titles, but when you're writing a company-owned title like Iron Man (which I personally have no interest in reading, incidentally), surely you have some obligation to actually do the work you're contracted to do? When you're contracted to do it? What's particularly galling is that, in his frequent rants/essays/communications, from various online sources (in which he often blusters and postures at great length about other people's failings), he has never directly acknowledged the fact that the books are running late (the closest we got was an "Iron Man's running late? News to me, fuckers"-type aside which was both patronising and, one must assume, disingenuous - if a writer is genuinely unaware that his book is over 3 months behind schedule, something, somewhere, is deeply fucked-up), and that it is, by all accounts, his damn fault. That's arrogant, rude, and damages my respect for him as a person, and as a professional. It has no impact on his qualities as a writer, but I'd be surprised if he could keep it up for long and still keep getting jobs with Marvel or DC. And if he could, that's a pretty sad state for the industry to be in.

Mark    332

If so, then I owe Ellis something of an apology. Oops.

JohnMcMahon    562

He post on Millarworld saying that the script for #3 was done and in the artists hands.

While there's no denying that Warren has a pretty poor record of getting stuff out there on time over the last couple of years, it's worth noting that he works with a lot of slow (and extremly talented) artists.

Josh    6

He could have a chronic problem with lateness. Many people do, not just writers. You can call it unprofessional, disrespectful or otherwise see it as an offense against others if you choose to, but that doesn't mean that he intends any of the harm or disgruntlement he's causing. I'd be way surprised if he wasn't aware of his latenesses, but being aware of something isn't necessarily a sufficient condition for being able to fix it.

I don't know what you mean by the state of the industry, but I'm assuming that Ellis is a good writer within it, and the comic industry has trouble finding good people, partially because talent isn't ubiquitous and partially because comic creating isn't an especially well-paid calling. Many readers like his work enough not to cancel after the delays (though I can certainly understand anyone who feels like Wolfy does about them) so the publishers may feel they just have to deal with it when they would cut loose a less popular writer.

Mark    332

This is true. But I do wish he'd at least fucking SAY something to that effect, occasionally. His "I, Warren Ellis, am the oracle of all things comic-ular, and all should heed my words of wisdom" tone does grate somewhat, in context - the occasional acknowledgement that maybe, just maybe, his readers want to read their comics when they're supposed to come out, and that for whatever reason that hasn't happened and he's, y'know, sorry, would be nice.

electricinca    89
He post on Millarworld saying that the script for #3 was done and in the artists hands. 

While there's no denying that Warren has a pretty poor record of getting stuff out there on time over the last couple of years, it's worth noting that he works with a lot of slow (and extremly talented) artists.

Even so given that this is true you'd have thought that Marvel would have got the situation sorted so that they had a few issues in the bag before they published issue #1 so as to offset the fact that there would be inevitable delays.

It's not good enough if you are relaunching a title for it to be almost immediately behind schedule. It's not like they were taking a risk with the series it was bound to sell so they could afford the financial investment needed to have a few complete issues ready before the initial publishing.

wolvy    57

If it is the artist fault, then the Artist needs to get his ass in gear. But if its Both Ellis's an the artists fault. Then really. Marvel needs to call both of them up an say "Hey what the fuck is going?" It's like they are pulling a Kevin Smith and not caring if it gets out on time. Ellis is a good writer. It's just the way Iron Man was going. I didnt see any reason to keep buying it, not to mention the delays made it worse.

I mean If Brubaker can keep Captain America ON time and not to mention keep it very very interesting. Then why can't Ellis.

Thus is why I canned the title. I got tired of it going nowhere. The end made me want #3 but sense it got delayed a few month, I didnt see any reason to keep it going and changed it with JLA:Classified.