JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

JohnMcMahon    562
Simon and Dracula chat about their perversions for a bit before fighting?

Trever Belmont is trade-mark cynical grumpy Ellis protagonist, the opening scene is 1000% Ellis too.

dogpoet    442
Simon and Dracula chat about their perversions for a bit before fighting?

Trever Belmont is trade-mark cynical grumpy Ellis protagonist, the opening scene is 1000% Ellis too.

Is he a slap head as well?

Avaunt    274

:O Slap head is slang for bald in UK?, cause it is very rude discrimination for Asian in Sydney slang. Or was, last century. I am so old, it gives me the sads.

dogpoet    442

It is. I'm not sure, but I think the term is derived from the late Benny Hill, of all places.

JasonT    438

I've never heard the term used to refer to anything other than a bald person. And I was in Sydney on Sunday. :smile:

seventhcircle    580

so i bought the karnak run done by ellis.

i was a bit confused by it, possibly because i haven't read a lot of inhumans. so he is definetly an antihero and a zealot of his weird philosophy. there is definetly a lot of ellis in there.

but what really got to me, was that the strange kiddo karnak is supposed to rescue tells him, that he was frustrated because his parents never wanted him to achieve anything, to be anything. at the end of the arc,

karnak is handed a photo by the kids father, which tells him that they had a talk the day the photo was taken, where they tried to convice the kid, that they wanted him to be anyhting he wanted. and then you see

karnak sitting there in his tower, with the photo and he is crying (about what i can only assume is peoples stupidity?). either thats an inconsisency, or i just really don't get it. that must mean something right?

Christian    734

I would probably have to re-read the series again (I did like it, although for such a short run, it was inconsistent, perhaps Ellis taking so long to finish the series had something to do with that....), but the origin story of Karnak is that he was the only member of the Royal Family whose parents refuse to exposed him to the Terrigenesis Mists. This was unheard of in Inhuman culture. All Royal Family members always exposed their babies to the Terrigenesis process. So, unlike the other Inhumans' Royal Family, Karnak had to work hard to develop his own abilities. It's said that this bred resentment in him.

This take on Karnak is something completely different than any other presentation of the character in the past, by the way. While that was always Karnak's origin story, he was never presented as this nihilistic type of figure before.

dogpoet    442

I thought Lockjaw being a relative of Karnak's whose transformation had inspired his parents' reluctance to expose him had been retconned away now?

seventhcircle    580

I would probably have to re-read the series again (I did like it, although for such a short run, it was inconsistent, perhaps Ellis taking so long to finish the series had something to do with that....), but the origin story of Karnak is that he was the only member of the Royal Family whose parents refuse to exposed him to the Terrigenesis Mists. This was unheard of in Inhuman culture. All Royal Family members always exposed their babies to the Terrigenesis process. So, unlike the other Inhumans' Royal Family, Karnak had to work hard to develop his own abilities. It's said that this bred resentment in him.

This take on Karnak is something completely different than any other presentation of the character in the past, by the way. While that was always Karnak's origin story, he was never presented as this nihilistic type of figure before.

which is what makes total sense, if you have the ending on it's own. it shows that karnak really does want something and he is really just supressing the hurt over that, which also explains why he went full nuclear on e.g. the painter.

however the inconsistency with is really unnerving me. i feel like ellis should have taken a little more time elaborating on the kids motives, even if it just had been a page or two more. i think the premise of the story was excellent, but the ending felt rushed (i propably should feel lucky that his woozaness has granted us an ending at all, right?).

dogpoet    442

It was Triton's transformation which caused his parents' decision now, not Lockjaw.

Not quite as messed up, but it still works.

dogpoet    442

The Wildstorm thing is still good, but the plot is moving even more slowly than that Brexit thing...

(Get to the point, Wozza: Kirby could have done your whole plot thus far in half an issue.)

dogpoet    442

Still moving slower than a slug with a smack habit, but yet another character who's been massively changed* has just been introduced.

*(Honest. Massive change. Huge conceptual shift. He has tits now. That's conceptual daring and edgy invention for you, that is.)

The gender flipped character didn't bother me as much as the changes he made to Spartan/John Colt, who is now just "Generic Ellis Protagonist" instead of a cool, alien android/CEO.  Still on board for the ride, I'm enjoying it despite the glacial pace, but now I'm starting to wonder if that's just because I love the Wildstorm characters so much.  

dogpoet    442

The race and sex change stuff doesn't bother me any, but he's only doing it with "meh" type characters rather than the ones who are a big deal: if he'd made Grifter a black chick or Zealot a black guy, it'd look a lot less like tokenism, wouldn't it? Hell, if he wants to stir things up, he could have made Marlowe a tall sort and Voodoo a guy, couldn't he?

(Of course, I'm not cynical enough to wonder if he's going through the Wildstorm U sexually reassigning people because of all the fuss about Doctor Who now being a Time Lady.)

God point about John Colt, though: I'd completely forgotten that was finally set up as an earlier model of Spartan after he stopped being a '60s superhero nobody had ever heard of who was pretending to be Kaizen Gamorra.

I have a feeling that Jenny Sparks being a brunette is considered a "radical new change!" in his eyes, too.  Other than Cray and King, have there been any other race/gender flips in the series that I'm forgetting about?  I think I saw a cover solicit with a female Doctor (Authority not Who), that seems to stick out in my faulty memory lobe.

And yeah, that Colt/Gamora/Spartan stuff was so damn confusing, especially the way Alan Moore dropped it into the middle of a line-wide crossover with no build-up for foreshadowing at all.  "Fire From Heaven" was such a strange story.

dogpoet    442

I really liked that about Fire From Heaven, if I'm honest: all of this random seeming revising of backstory coming out of nowhere in the middle of what would otherwise have been a very dull Marvel style cross marketing crossover actually made it worth reading.

(And yes, I think you're right that Ellis sees giving Jenny Sparks a slight makeover as the most radical revision in the comic, particularly as he's writing exactly the same Henry Bendix as he did in Stormwatch. Perceptive reading that, I'd have said.)

Isn't The Wild Storm Jenny Sparks also Asian in race as well now? Though given that the Old Wildstorm already had an Asian Jenny succeed the original Sparks, it's not exactly new radical ground Warren's treading here.

Christian    734

Since the series revolves around future-tech, Ellis should just take a page from Delaney or Varley, and make it so that transsexuality isn't a big deal, and super-people just change their gender or sex on a regular basis, and it's just considered normal that a person will decide to transition from a gay woman to a straight man, or a straight man to a straight woman, or whathaveyou at regular intervals.

dogpoet    442

Maybe that's the terrible threatening technology that IO are trying to bump off Marlowe to prevent him from releasing?

Not directly written by Warren, but he does have a story credit on it, and the issue does imitate the style of its parent book in both writing and art very closely:

The Wild Storm: Michael Cray #1 (out of 12)

The premise of this series is Michael Cray hunting down warped versions of classic DCU heroes that exist in the new Wild Storm U, while adjusting to the changes brought about to his life. This first issue introduces Cray vs. Green Arrow, who has been reimagined as a gentrifying San Franciscan millionaire (not too far off from current Silicon Valley types!) who flows weapons and narcotics into poor neighborhoods to drive up their crime rates (in order to launch political campaigns to crack down on said crime) and as a byproduct of PTSD from the island  hunts kidnapped men "Most Dangerous Game" style . The Flash is next up in the third ish according to the solicits, and Batman was alluded to in this issue and I wouldn't be surprised if this series climaxes with Cray taking him on.

I enjoyed this start, though I've always been a sucker for "evil alternate dimension-type" stories, and I will stick for the next issue to see how this first story resolves.

I suppose though, that this series could always wind up "Warren angrily types for 12 issues about DC superheroes via proxy" :tongue:

• Upvote 1