JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

seventhcircle    580
1 hour ago, GottaGetAGrip said:

Not directly written by Warren, but he does have a story credit on it, and the issue does imitate the style of its parent book in both writing and art very closely:

The Wild Storm: Michael Cray #1 (out of 12)

The premise of this series is Michael Cray hunting down warped versions of classic DCU heroes that exist in the new Wild Storm U, while adjusting to the changes brought about to his life. This first issue introduces Cray vs. Green Arrow, who has been reimagined as a gentrifying San Franciscan millionaire (not too far off from current Silicon Valley types!) who flows weapons and narcotics into poor neighborhoods to drive up their crime rates (in order to launch political campaigns to crack down on said crime) and as a byproduct of PTSD from the island  hunts kidnapped men "Most Dangerous Game" style . The Flash is next up in the third ish according to the solicits, and Batman was alluded to in this issue and I wouldn't be surprised if this series climaxes with Cray taking him on.

I enjoyed this start, though I've always been a sucker for "evil alternate dimension-type" stories, and I will stick for the next issue to see how this first story resolves.

I suppose though, that this series could always wind up "Warren angrily types for 12 issues about DC superheroes via proxy" :tongue:

that sounds excellent, lol

dogpoet    442

Didn't he do that himself for Planetary?

(BTW: the new set up has any white text that's so hidden to avoid spoilers partially obscured by a "quote this?" popup tag thing when you highlight it to read it.)

I wasn't as much a fan of Michael Cray as the regular Wild Storm series, and I think that's totally down to all of the DCU characters that appear and are referenced.  Ellis DID do all that himself in Planetary ages ago, but just like most of the characters in that series they were approximations of Superman and Wonder Woman (outside of that JLA crossover special, of course).  Michael Cray straight dropping Green fucking Arrow into my Wildstorm souffle leaves a sour taste in my mouth, not unlike green apple.  Had it been some rough caricature of Oliver Queen, I would probably be more forgiving, because the take on the character has a nice twist.  I'm just too much of a Wildstorm snob, I suppose. 

dogpoet    442

I'm not sure it's fair to dismiss that objection as mere snobbery on your part. Ellis is doing a series called The Wildstorm, rebooting the old Wildstorm characters from the '90s one of whose main selling points (if I'm not misremembering and doing early Image titles a disservice) was that they had a coherent and workable internal continuity that didn't go back to the second world war and was nothing like the Marvel and DC universes that did, and wasn't full of characters who blatantly ripped that stuff off (apart from Rob Leifeld's "I told the careers advisor at school that I wanted to be Jack Kirby when I grew up and he told me not to be so fucking stupid when he finally stopped laughing" arse dribble, but the Extreme stuff very blatantly wasn't the Wildstorm stuff: some of the Wildstorm stuff was rather good, and even the real dreck like Hazzard wasn't half as shite as Leifeld's output).

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    442

Thank you. That's an awesome article.

The most important thing you need to know before reading about all the terrible things Rob Liefeld has drawn is that he has never seen or talked to a woman in his life and has no idea what they look like or how their bodies operate. If you asked Rob Liefeld to draw a diagram of the uterus he'd put on a pair of gauntlets and punch the shit out of your chalkboard. This is how the man operates, and though I know it sounds like a lot, you have to believe me. I don't want you looking at the stuff he's drawing and think he's a conscious adult male with a creative job who can and has influenced the minds of young artists. The man is a pair of blue jeans with a face. He has on a backwards cap, and when he turns it around, it's still backwards.

:laugh:

Oh my god, I had to stop reading it during the Juggernaut example, I'm laughing way too hard while at work and am starting to get funny looks.

Wild Storm # 8 out this week, and I'm getting some mixed emotions about this series.  While I love a lot of what he's doing with the Wildcats (though where the fuck have Voodoo and Zealot vanished to after the first couple of issues?), I'm not exactly digging how he's mixing and matching the Authority characters.  We get three Authority revamps in this issue, sort of, and I don't think they work in comparison to how elegant and streamlined the original character concepts were.  I'm dancing around spoiler territory, so I'll wait until others get to read it before I talk about it any more.  I'm still sold on the series, will still be reading for the foreseeable future, but this was the first big crack in the series for me.