JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

On 3/18/2018 at 5:39 AM, JohnMcMahon said:

This week's Cray answers that Constantine question.

Time for another Transmet reread, love me some Spider J,  the first story has been totally undercut by the arrival of smartphones though!  The notion that the only reporting from a riot would be via a text feed broadcast on television sounds ludicrous in a time where we have children live streaming their school shooting to the world.

Yeah, as prescient as Transmet was on a whole lot of things, some of it still feels really dated to the late 90s/early 2000s.  

And god damn it, Michael Cray is really pissing me off, but I keep reading it like a tool.  I really want to support anything Wildstorm related so the characters/concepts don't fade away, but Cray has absolutely nothing to do with that universe OR his previous incarnation.  It's nothing but an excuse to pull a "Ruins" with DCU properties, it's terrible in the extreme.  The other two Wild Storm spin-offs are supposed to be coming this year (Wildcats and another one, Stormwatch?  I don't remember), here's hoping they're more than just a trademark name bolted onto something totally unrecognizable.  

Christian    790

No. Ellis made sure to not finish that book and make a statement when he took over writing WildStorm. That he can only concentrate on one book at a time and DC pays a lot better. That was the statement. It really put the point home that Shipwreck only had the one more issue left too.

Lou K    1,090

What the fuck, man, I swear this fucking guy...

Injection ever finish? Trees?

Injection wrapped up its third arc back in November. I remember Warren mentioning he plans to go for four or five with that one in his email newsletter.

(whether those plans actually come to fruition remains to be see)

Trees he does seem to have forgotten about.

dogpoet    490

That's the problem with creator owned series: unlike the corporate whoring which pays his bills, nobody can come in and finish off a comic Ellis owns for him when he loses interest.

Christian    790
2 hours ago, JohnMcMahon said:

Did he actually say anything along those lines ?  Comixology has it listed for the 26th of March.

Of course he didn't actually say that. We'll see if it actually ships on the 26th, or if Aftershock is just trying to allay fans.

Issue #5 shipped in August of 2017, so there's been quite the gap between issues 5 and 6.

Lou K    1,090

The comic site I push out here on Mondays does not show it for the 28th.

Christian    790

Somewhat good news, in that the entirety of Ellis' run on Hellstorm and the Druid mini-series will soon be collected by Marvel.

The less-than-good news is that the book will cost you $75!

Hellstorm stills ranks as one of the best books by Ellis, for mine. I definitely recommend reading it. However, it might be better to try to hunt down the entire series as back-issues rather than pay that exorbitant cost. There is no way that the back-issues will add up to anywhere close to $75. Although, the issues can be sort of scarce.

Ellis' run is from issue #12-21. I'd recommend picking up the Len Kamisnski run, which ran before the Ellis run started too, as those stories were almost as good as the Ellis issues. The Kaminski run is easier to find than the Ellis run, and those issues are not being collected.

I was buying the issues close to 20 years ago now, but none of the issues cost me more than $3. I managed to find the Druid mini in 25 cent boxes, although it was over a large span of years that it took me to find all four issues.

Dave    280
1 hour ago, Christian said:

I managed to find the Druid mini in 25 cent boxes, although it was over a large span of years that it took me to find all four issues.

But let's be honest, the hunt is the best part of collecting comics. So that shouldn't be a deterrent for someone. 

Christian    790

It is, but it drives me nuts when I need that one final issue for my collection, and I can't find it anywhere.

• Upvote 1

JohnMcMahon    592

Oh fuck yes, I've said it numerous times here and I'll say it again, the final page of Druid is an all-time classic! 

I'm pretty sure Druid was launched as an ongoing after Hellstorm was cancelled but it only went four issues, it's pure mean from start to finish and excellent for that.  Hellstorm itself is vintage I-wanna-fuck-a-goth Ellis and I lurve it.

$75 is a nonsense, are they hard backing it up ?  Regardless, that there's now going to be an official collection means that there'll be eventually a  reasonably priced version available through Comixology.

dogpoet    490

Probably not. The more I think about it, the more twitter looks like the ideal medium for Ellis. :wink2:

Well, for the first time since it started Wild Storm: Michael Cray has finally captured my interest with the newest issue, which introduces that world's version of Constantine.  I actually cared about what happened to Cray and it was more than the usual "DC hero gets bent into a maniac" plot device of the first six issues.  Slow burn, yeah, but interesting enough that I'm glad I didn't drop the series after that stupid Aquaman/Chthulu mash-up.

Aren't there supposed to be two more spin-offs to The Wild Storm coming at some point?  I remember hearing that in the initial press release, that it would be Michael Cray, Zealot (I think?), and ultimately Wildcats (again, I think?).

dogpoet    490

There's some who've been waiting a lot longer for a sixth issue, Lou. Just look how fed up of waiting this guy is:

DesJon_9202.jpg

• Like 1

JohnMcMahon    592

Give me an either/or choice and it's Desolation Jones all the way for me but that's one I wouldn't really lose either way!  Glad he's still writhing comics regardless.

• Upvote 1

dogpoet    490

Very true. It'd be nice if he was still writing some of the comics he couldn't be arsed to finish, though...

:wink2:

• Upvote 1