JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

While he does have something of a track record I do think that sales killed certain projects - the artists on both Fell and Desolation Jones were 'names' and I don't recall either title burning up the sales charts.  Really should've finished the second Desolation Jones story arc though!

Hey, maybe he could bring back Doktor Sle-

11 hours ago, JohnMcMahon said:

the artists on both Fell and Desolation Jones were 'names' and I don't recall either title burning up the sales charts. 

That's true. Did either name own any of the intellectual property or could they have been replaced, though?

I'd have to go back and check but he tends to write for the artist so I doubt he'd be interested in continuing either project without Templesmith or Zezelj.  I'm not saying he didn't lose interest, just giving him the benefit of the doubt. 

Huh. I did not remember that Desolation Jones switched artists between story-arcs. I thought Williams was on art for the eight issues.

So, that probably answers the question of whether the artist owned any rights to Desolation Jones, as there was already a switch in artists. I wonder if Ellis was intending to switch between Williams and Zezelj with each story-arc, or if he intended to use a different artist for each story-arc.

I wonder if he intended to use a different decade for every 8 issues.

That does sound like something he'd do, he posted an image of Backlash from an upcoming issue of Wild Storm which is cool - I still have mad love for all the Team 7 crew.

Oh and Shipwrecked #6 is officially out.

It's no longer an upcoming issue, it's the current one. Lynch is in it as well.

I had just about zero memory of Shipwreck's plot, so I couldn't tell if #6 made a proper ending or not. I'll have to re-read the entire series at some point, but I'm not that driven to do so for the nonce. I liked the series when it started, but those long delays really killed the book's momentum for me.

Yes,  it going to be called Cemetery Beach. The premise doesn't sound all that appealing to me. It is scheduled to start in September.

I wouldn't give Ellis too hard a time about Trees. He's done a better job of staying on time and keeping a comic going than half of the creators who have series at Image. Forgetting about a series after finishing a story-arc is almost mandatory at Image Comics. It's almost as if the company was geared towards publishing Warren Ellis comics.

Here is an article about Ellis' new book:

https://soundbooks.org/2018/06/12/warren-ellis-and-jason-howard-launch-new-comic-cemetery-beach-at-image-in-september/

In one of his recent email newsletters, Warren did confirm he had begun writing more Trees, but couldn't find the right direction for the story and this new project spun out of that - at least that's what I gathered from the wording:

Here's the thing.  We both needed a break and a palate-cleanser from TREES.  So we did this.  I mean, look up there.  This ain't TREES.

I started writing TREES Volume 3 recently.  It will be five issues long.  Probably.  Sometimes TREES stories add issues in the telling of them.  But I'm aiming for five, and I'm a couple of issues in.  It's a slight change of style.  I was bogged down in it for a long while, and then realised I was writing the wrong story, which was why it wasn't taking on life.  It didn't want to be written.  A few days later, I had the right story come to me, and, after a single note from Jason, I had the whole shape of it and it flew together.

On a lighter note, I've just had a look at the sleeve notes to an alleged goth CD (Art, Science, Exploitation by Swarf) and was a bit surprised to Wozza named at the end of their thank you list.

Now I know he has a thing for them goth girls, but should a hipster like Ellis really have been associating with a band who are supposed to be a Psychophile/Collide synthy goth band (a bunch of goths took on board Mick Mercer's suggestion that Soft Cell were just as gothy a band as Marc and The Mambas around the turn of the millennium and ran with it, some of them very convincingly) but sound more like Sunscreem if somebody had swapped that lot's E's for prescription tranquilisers?

Are there other records that give Wozza a shout in the sleeve notes? This is the first one I've seen, which seems a bit weird when you think about how hard he's spent most of his career namedropping bands...

Hm, I will give Cemetery Beach a shot.

Did he ever finish Injection?

Further The Wildstorm notes:

We currently have the assumed-dead-but-obviously-not Jack Lynch tracking down the members of Project Thunderbook, who are blatantly the former Team 7 members so far. One of the Gen 13 (though the Genesis Factor hasn't even been mentioned yet and there are hints that the alien biological implants that were put into Thunderbook's victims are different and rather nastier than the '90s version: Slayton is convinced that his is sentient) has also been mentioned and set up. This might interest those who were hoping for reboots of the original Wildstorm titles.

The squabble between IO and Skywatch is building up nicely as well, so it's very likely that we're going to see IO coming after Team 7 and the Gen 13 yet again in another issue or two.

I can't remember, has The Wildstorm brought up the Daemonites yet?  The Kherans are running around in the open, perhaps the alien implants in the Team 7 characters are culled from Daemonites?  I was starting to lose interest in The Wildstorm in the later issues of the second arc, but bringing in Lynch, Slayton and the rest have me totally invested in the book again.  

I'm assuming the bunch of weirdoes who claimed to have created the Doctor(s) a few issues back and the guy Lucy Blaze runs into in the first issue are the Daemonites? Presumably they've been shown as hands off and vaguely benign in a disintereted way so far to make it easier for Ellis to paint the Kherubim as the bad guys, given that he's already made a point of cranking the bar up as high as he can for that one.

You're dead right that he's timed dragging Lynch and his crew back in at the right time, though. Wartching Bendix scream and shout while the IO board of directors indulged themselves in bland offs was starting to get a bit tiresome...

• Upvote 1

FAQ: The other planned Wild Storm group titles are still coming out.  Scheduling is a real thing in the world, especially at a big publisher.  The third book is outlined and already has a script written, and the bible for the fourth is in my files and being refined.

Small update from his latest newsletter regarding the remaining Wild Storm spin-offs, as Michael Cray comes to a close in the coming months.

From the same newsletter, Warren reveals that two new issues of Trees have been written and assures us that Injection is not cancelled.

Thanks for the updates guys!

I stopped signing up to his lists as he tended to expose too much of his research - he'd write a paragraph on some new science thing that caught his eye and six months later I'd be reading one of his characters regurgitating it nearly verbatim.

Glad both Trees & Injection are still going concerns. 

I did sort of hate it. My review was in a different thread. There was no real meat to sink your teeth in to for the story. It reminded me of a poor man's rehash of themes that Ellis did to far greatest usage in Shipwreck.

Second issue was just more of the same really.

Speaking of seconds, second season of Castlevania drops on Netlflix this Firday.  First season was only 4 episodes, this one's getting 8 - fairly slight stuff but some good Wozza dialogue in there if that's your bag (it's definitely mine!).

Ixnay, what you were saying about the Midnighter and Apollo being spoken for in other DC stuff?

I wonder if them giving Backlashserial killer Slayton the bum rush while staying offscreen is the only appearance they'll be making in this? It could be a token box ticking and a demonstration that they are out there in some form, even if they don't end up in the authoritative looking team Jenny Sparks is putting together over the last half dozen issues or so...

Me to, but I hope that isn't all we see of them in this series.

That said, as far as two page walk ons go, they could have done a lot worse...