JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

He's saying specifically that defacing the Koran isn't as bad as beheading a person. While he's completely missing the MUCH bigger issues at hand, in that most basic sense, he is kinda right.

He's dead on accurate - disrespecting someone's belief doesn't even come close to ranking with cutting some person's head off. Look, I'm as touchy feely as the next left wing guy but if you're out there burning shit because someone flushes a book down the jacks ? You're a reactionary moron who shouldn't be allowed outside on his own.

If that was what he was saying, I'd be right on his side. But that's not the point he was making - what he actually said was that almost half my country believes otherwise, which is a grotesque misrepresentation of the vast majority of people who are opposed to the way the Bush administration is conducting the "War On Terror". It's a stupid straw man argument, and I don't know what Miller's trying to prove with it - I'm sure there are a few lunatics who are indeed directly equating Koran-flushing with decapitations, but so far as I can tell, they're at best a tiny, tiny minority of the anti-war lobby, far from constituting "nearly half my country". It'd be like claiming that everyone who supports Bush is a viciously bloodthirsty, racist moron - inaccurate, offensive, and totally counter-productive.

An old favourite from off the internet ...

Date:  Sun, Feb 8 1998 12:00 am 

Email:  John McMahon <jmcma...@iol.ie>

Groups:  rec.arts.comics.dc.vertigo

Adeheathen wrote:

> Won't Warren be able to smoke as much as he wants through the

> surrogacy of John

> Constantine ? So I expect JC to start smoking ten times more (I was

> going to

> say a fag in every panel, but I don't want to start that old Cass and

> Sex theme

> again).

>

>*****************************************************

>You're reading from 'A Season In Hell' but you don't know what it's

> about.

Well if Warren starts living through John to that degree, I expect to

see a lot more sheep gracing the pages of HellBlazer.

Just kidding Mister Ellis.  Honest.

Baaaaaaaaa,

John

Straight To Hell : A Sheep Free Zone

http://www.iol.ie/~jmcmahon/hell.html

I agree, probably the most fun I've had reading a recent Ellis comic. I was actually sad when Fin said, "My heart...my heart is broken." :sad:

I wonder if I'd be a better writer if I had no social skills?

Man, Fell just can't dissapoint. I'm really liking the artwork, really brings the whole thing home.

There are important advantages to accepting people's creative output but ignoring their opinions and news about how they live their lives.

I'm in awe of Howard Phillips Lovecraft: I wouldn't necessarily want to work with the right wing twerp, though.

The latest issue of Fell was another solid effort. I'm still slightly peeved at the long wait for it, but it was a pretty great issue. And Lou is right, the artwork is class.

Ocean started well but quickly fell apart, I believe the last chapter in the trade was cleaned up a little as it made no sense in the original comic.

Nextwave #3 maintains the dumb fun of its predecessors.

Here's Transmet #8, Another Cold Morning - http://community.livejournal.com/fullscans_daily/11529.html

Nextwave #3 maintains the dumb fun of its predecessors.

Hmm...I really liked the first two issues, enjoyed 'em more than anything else I've read from Ellis in ages, but #3 felt a bit flat. I'll check out the next issue, in the hope that this was just a brief lull, but on the basis of this 'episode', the joke might already be wearing thin. The edited-out swearing (which I assume is intended to be funny, because otherwise it's just crap) doesn't really work, and that pretend-interview bit on the first page was horribly unfunny. The first seven pages of the story were entirely without jokes, too, and most of the action sequences were pretty bog-standard comic book stuff (as opposed to the comedy version of same which worked so well in the first two issues) which would be fine if the story was more interesting, and if book wasn't being pushed primarily as a laugh-a-minute gag-riot.

I did snigger at "Very Small School With Lovely Children Inside", though.

Just read Planetary Nr.25. Grand. It had been a long time since I remembered why I fell in love with it. But does the ending mean I have to wait till 2011 for Ellis to finish it? Damn!

Guest spiderlegs

Wait, is this current issue of Desolation Jones the finale? Wow, I thought it would be ongoing, mainly because I've read nothing about it, I just read the comic. How uninformed do I feel... :huh:

I don't think it's the last issue of the series. It's not labelled as a mini, and the solicit on the Wildstorm website doesn't mention anything about it being the finale. I hope it isn't, either, since #6 was fucking awesome. One of the better comics I've read this year.

Fuck, I didn't grab DJ #6. Gotta go score that today.

Black Gas #2 was pretty cool. Ellis on zombies, very graphic and sick.

Gotta go find #1 of that.

Desolation Jones is set for 24 issues I believe. 

Latest issue was class, surprisingly grim - didn't think Jones had that in him now,

Vicious fucker isn't he? I expected the usual ending for a mystery with maybe some cursing and cool one liners. The resolution had Jones as an absolute dick and I loved it.

Desolation Jones; Dickhood University graduate.

24 issues! thats good news, but this is going to be in "Warren Ellis time". :glare:

Perhaps that's why I felt underwhelmed by #6, as i believed that it was the finale.