JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

Me too. I like the character but Azz can't seem to write anything good outside of 100 Bullets. That said, his Batman/Deathblow series was pretty good. Great art, interesting story but too much of a forced "twist" ending that was confusing.

please excuse me for being the ugly american but can someone please explain to me what the hell wozza means?

In the UK and Australia, it's a common nickname for someone named Warren. Similarly,

Darren or Darryl=Dazza

Barry=Bazza

Gary=Gazza

Sharon=Shazza

And any of them can be shortened to one syllabubble. So Gary is Gaz, and so forth.

That'll be 50 cents, please.

I'd also question that Pratchett's discworld books are a series in the sense you're talking about: they have a common setting and recurring characters, but it isn't like each one to appear is a sequel to the prior volume. (The last time he did that was The Light Fantastic, iirc.)

If you're restricting it to a chronological order of books, then no. But Men at Arms is a sequel to Guards! Guards! and The Last Continent is a sequel to Interesting Times even if other books were published in between.

And the kids' Discworld books from Wee Free Men onwards have been proper, consecutive sequels.

I'd also question that Pratchett's discworld books are a series in the sense you're talking about: they have a common setting and recurring characters, but it isn't like each one to appear is a sequel to the prior volume. (The last time he did that was The Light Fantastic, iirc.)

If you're restricting it to a chronological order of books, then no. But Men at Arms is a sequel to Guards! Guards! and The Last Continent is a sequel to Interesting Times even if other books were published in between.

And the kids' Discworld books from Wee Free Men onwards have been proper, consecutive sequels.

True enough, but I'm not sure that the occasional direct sequel (and apart from the kid's discworld books, which I haven't read, I can only think of three offhand) is quite the same thing as a series like Zelazny's Amber or Terry Brook's Shannara where each book to be published sequels the one published before.

Fair enough. I think it's not really relevant to the regularity of Pratchett's output though.

Edit: I just looked at the dates of the posts. D'oh! Let's forget I brought this back up.

If anything, I'd describe the Discworld books as several separate series, linked by a common setting, with the occasional stand-alone novel thrown in just to confuse things.

In terms of direct sequels, there are at least three sets of them in the Discworld canon - the Rincewind books (Colour Of Magic>Light Fantastic>Sourcery>Eric>Interesting Times>The Last Continent), the Guards series (Guards Guards>Men At Arms>Feet Of Clay>Jingo>The Fifth Elephant>Night Watch>Thud), and the Witches series (Equal Rites>Wyrd Sisters>Witches Abroad>Lords & Ladies>Maskerade>Carpe Jugulum). All of those are very definitely series in the sense you're describing, with ongoing character arcs and subplots being continued over the course of a number of books. That's being charitable and disregarding the slightly-more-loosely-connected Death/Susan novels, which have a fair bit of ongoing continuity, but not to quite the same degree as the others.

EDIT: Oops, I've just seen James' last post. Good point, that man.

I'd include the Death books as a "Death and Family" series. In any case, I certainly think that Susan can be considered to have her own series (Soul Music/Hogfather/Thief of Time).

Apparently Moist von Lipwig from Going Postal will have a second novel once Pratchett's finished with the third Tiffany book from the Discworld kids series (which is actually a lot darker and funnier than some of the recent Discworld novels, as far as I'm concerned).

But even if the character series are rarely unbroken, the whole of the Discworld - and in particular Ankh-Morpork - has become a character in itself, and the recent books have done a good job of showing its gradual development as it enters a kind of technological Renaissance.

Apparently Moist von Lipwig from Going Postal will have a second novel once Pratchett's finished with the third Tiffany book from the Discworld kids series (which is actually a lot darker and funnier than some of the recent Discworld novels, as far as I'm concerned).

I don't necessarily know about 'darker', but I'd cheerfully go along with 'better'.

Well, I said "some". Maurice and His Educated rodents came along at the same time as The Truth and seemed far, far more brutal and creepy than the latter. Granted, the horrible things were happening to talking mice rather than people, but still.

The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents really and properly freaked me out. No other Discworld book has done that for me.

Well, I said "some". Maurice and His Educated rodents came along at the same time as The Truth and seemed far, far more brutal and creepy than the latter.

True, but in fairness, it's also far more brutal and creepy than almost any other Discworld novel, regardless of publication date. The two Tiffany books are a lot less so, too. Regardless, all three rank among the better Discworld novels, to my mind, particularly The Wee Free Men and Hatful Of Sky, both of which are absolutely delightful.

Marvel has announced a Pete Wisdom mini-series for the MAX imprint starting this Nov, called curiously enough Wisdom.

Does anyone know if Warren Ellis is going to be writing this?

If so, I'll be onboard.

Shit, a mature readers Pete Wisdom book, while Ellis is working for Marvel....how the fuck could even Marvel make such a mindboggling decision as to assign a different writer to the book?

WISDOM #1 (of 6)

Written by PAUL CORNELL

Pencils and Cover by TREVOR HAIRSINE

Pete Wisdom has a lot of fairies to kill. Yes, fairies are supposed to be nice and magical and charming, but they are currently attacking England. Hugo Award nominee Paul Cornell (BBC's Dr. Who and Robin Hood) and fan-favorite artist Trevor Hairsine (X-Men: Deadly Genesis, Ultimate Six) bring you a sci-fi mini-series unlike anything you've seen before!

32 PGS./Cardstock Cover/Explicit Content ...$3.99

Holy hell.....

One wonders how Marvel has managed to stay in business for all these years making the most illogical decisions imaginable, time after time.

How's it illogical? Cornell's a good writer. And it's not like it would be particularly hard to copy Ellis' tics, if neccessary.

The crazy thing is that when you started talking about Ellis, it took me half a second before I remembered that this isn't a Terry Pratchett thread.

It just seems like you have Ellis working for Marvel.

There's a mature readers line for Marvel books now, which was a huge problem for Ellis when he was first at Marvel.

He created Pete Wisdom.

He's working on books like NextWave for Marvel.

It just seems logical, Marvel wants a mature readers Pete Wisdom book, has Ellis on staff....so they choose a different writer.

It seems like a complete waste of Ellis.

WISDOM #1 (of 6)

Written by PAUL CORNELL

I'm there. Some of Cornell's prose is amazing; one of his Doctor Who novels is a contender for my favourite book evah. He's a better writer than Warren Ellis.

EDIT: Cornell is quoted by Newsarama:

"The artist is the wonderful Trev Hairsine, and I've never worked with anyone who's so professional, so adaptable. He's doing some very photo-realistic stuff that kicks arse (not ass, no) in action sequences, communicates human relationships through expression, and tells the story. It's a lovely situation to know that I can let the pictures do the talking. He loves drawing helicopters, so as often as I can I've tried to give him a big splash with an enormous chopper."

Yep, looking forward to this one. :biggrin:

Edited by JasonT

WISDOM #1 (of 6)

Written by PAUL CORNELL

I'm there. Some of Cornell's prose is amazing; one of his Doctor Who novels is a contender for my favourite book evah. He's a better writer than Warren Ellis.

EDIT: Cornell is quoted by Newsarama:

"The artist is the wonderful Trev Hairsine, and I've never worked with anyone who's so professional, so adaptable. He's doing some very photo-realistic stuff that kicks arse (not ass, no) in action sequences, communicates human relationships through expression, and tells the story. It's a lovely situation to know that I can let the pictures do the talking. He loves drawing helicopters, so as often as I can I've tried to give him a big splash with an enormous chopper."

Yep, looking forward to this one. :biggrin:

I thought Hairsine drew a lot like Cam Kennedy. When did he change his approach?

Warren Ellis has added a 'spandex' section to his Engine forum, wherein he'll presumably continue his descent into Byrne-esque levels of muppetry.

Half-way through the first thread on Planetary, having to put up with a barrage of complimentry posts, Ellis puts his foot down...

I'm regretting this already.

He then goes all fawny over some lass whose name I recognise from the old WEF days, plus la change and all that.

Anyway....

#26 is out sometime this month (I don't have a shipping schedule in front of me). It is, in essence, the end of the story. #27 is an aftermath issue, and it'll follow some months later. It just does a few extra things I want. #26 is the end of the main plotline.

Wildstorm are bugging me for a PLANETARY GUIDE. I don't know what will happen with that.

In more devastating news....

There won't be any more JACK CROSS. I'll get into details at a later date, but I'm done with it.

:icon_cry:

The end of Planetary? A bummer but it will be cool to see everything all wrapped up. Fucking love that book.

No more Jack Cross? I won't drown in tears.