JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

I dunno about that - part of the point of the story seems to be that much of the music, and related culture, is slightly uncool, at least from a modern perspective. If by "cool music" you mean "stuff I really like", that doesn't really apply either - no comic which loves the Generation Terrorists/Holy Bible-era Manics as much, and as overtly, as this does should bore so unhealthily-devoted (albeit somewhat lapsed, these days) a Manics obsessive as me to the extent that it does, for example.

If by "cool music" you mean "stuff I really like", that doesn't really apply either -

I don't mean stuff I really like at all. I mean the kind of thing that gets talked about on Pitchfork that goes right over my head. I think for the concept to work the central protagonist should be a proper music junkie, constantly jonesing for the newest thrill in the same way that Constantine is an adrenaline junkie. I think the focus on music that wasn't actually that "cool" in the first place (dinner at number 10???) kind of hamstrings things.

But that's just me.

I mean the kind of thing that gets talked about on Pitchfork that goes right over my head. I think for the concept to work the central protagonist should be a proper music junkie, constantly jonesing for the newest thrill in the same way that Constantine is an adrenaline junkie. I think the focus on music that wasn't actually that "cool" in the first place (dinner at number 10???) kind of hamstrings things.

That'd be interesting, but it's so far removed from the central conceit of Phonogram that it'd result in a totally different comic. Most likely a rather better one, though, so nitpicking aside, I probably agree with you.

I liked the first issue of New Universal but let's see where it goes.

And (as this is an Ellis project) how long it takes to get there.

Sorry, don't have the time to read the entire thread, but I have an urgent question: Is Transmetropolitan going permanently out of print? I noticed that in some recent ebay auctions this claim was made, and a week later some of the used books on amazon, notably volume 2 which is currently (or permanently?) out of print went up in price tremendously - from around 6 euros to between 36 and 46 euros in just a few days.

Of course, this *had* to happen before I managed to buy one of the cheap ones... *annoyed*

Is Transmetropolitan going permanently out of print?

No. They're reconfiguring the trade collections slightly, replacing the first two (Back On The Street and Lust For Life) with a single, 12-issue volume, and adding the material from the short "#0" odds-n-ends collection Tales Of Human Waste (which will no longer be available separately) into the final trade, One More Time (which is currently the tenth collection, but with the combining of the first two volumes, will now be labelled "Vol. 9"). They'll be doing this as and when the current editions next go out of print, so while there'll probably be a short gap period during which the availability of trades will be a bit patchy, it shouldn't be a problem for long.

Full details here. My advice? Wait a short while for the new editions, rather than paying over-the-odds for the newly-discontinued older versions. If you can find the older editions reduced, though, the content is exactly the same for all but the first two and final volumes.

Is Transmetropolitan going permanently out of print?

Full details here. My advice? Wait a short while for the new editions, rather than paying over-the-odds for the newly-discontinued older versions. If you can find the older editions reduced, though, the content is exactly the same for all but the first two and final volumes.

I already have some of the older trades, which is why I'd like to get the rest of the series in its older version, too - also, the older trades take considerably less space on the shelf as they're printed on thinner paper; this is an important factor as my comics shelf and my entire bookshelf are seriously 'overcrowded'... I'll have to keep an eye out for the older editions, I guess.

Anyway, glad to hear that Transmetropolitan is going to stay available. I was mildly shocked when I read that it was about to go out of print.

newuniversal #1 was alright, yeah.

The bit with the archeologists was boring typical of a lot of the toss he's done in recent years but the accidental murder and the psycho-revived cop were both more than good enough to get over that.

Top art too, hopefully this'll (1) go somewhere interesting and (2) keep Ellis' interest for more than five minutes, so it doesn't suddenly disappear off the shipping schedule (Fell was quite good, remember that ?).

Guest spiderlegs
I read (an e-stolen copy of) that recently. It was shite.

I thought issue #1 was OK, but it seemed like it would go south from there. Too many one-liners can kill anything--even me! :wacko:

Guest spiderlegs
Anyway, glad to hear that Transmetropolitan is going to stay available. I was mildly shocked when I read that it was about to go out of print.

I'm just glad they're promoting TRANSMET again. It was VERTIGO's bastard step-child dogfucker put out to pasture for a couple of years. Isee the VERTIGO ads with Y (Y!!!) and FABLES listed as some of its greatest titles (with PREACHER, SANDMAN & HELLBLAZER) and TRANSMET was SO much more compelling and had a far greater impact than either of those titles (which I enjoy(ed), but I admit, I'm biased). TRANSMET had such a cult appeal to men and women alike and some of the individual issues (One Cold Morning, God Riding Shotgun, etc.) were amazing stories which transcended the title itself. But, then, I've always been at odds with VERTIGO's marketing decisions, so, hey...

I dunno about One Cold Morning: it's a fine story and very moving in places, but is there anything the cryohibernants confront that's weird enough that they're going to lapse into near catatonia and withdraw from reality the second they see it? It's all cyberpunk and new wave SF cliches as shown there. Certainly nothing incomprehensible or brain burning.

Well the grey aliens wandering around would probably be enough to reduce me to a gibbering wreck, don't know about yourself.

More so than any of the other funny looking gits on the street? I mean for heaven's sake, the poor woman had no problem accepting that they were able to build her a new body so that she was suddenly back in her late teens, so her getting freaked out by anything after she's had it demonstrated that they can do that would take some doing, I'd have thought.

(Besides which, all of these extropians are SF nerds.)

The implication was not that the sights turned them insane, but that their general lack of affinity for the modern world alienated them. This is common with real people in the real world, so it is by no means unlikely that people being defrosted would have emotional problems.

I mean for heaven's sake, the poor woman had no problem accepting that they were able to build her a new body so that she was suddenly back in her late teens

That, quite probably, played at least some part in her breakdown.

The implication was not that the sights turned them insane, but that their general lack of affinity for the modern world alienated them. This is common with real people in the real world, so it is by no means unlikely that people being defrosted would have emotional problems.

True, but you do get a lot of immigrants who get over their initial culture shock, and come to terms with their new society, don't you? Ellis seems to be working on the assumption that it's completely impossible for any of the revived corpsicles to do that, and there'd surely be a few at least.

But the immigrants can still send a letter home. These people are literally hundreds of years away from anyone they ever knew, in world that makes no sense to them and doesn't care whether they live or die. They mean nothing to The City and The City means nothing to them. That would be enough to fuck me up, I think.

In any case, Mary comes back and does get over her inital shock. So Ellis doesn't say that nobody can get over it.

But the immigrants can still send a letter home. These people are literally hundreds of years away from anyone they ever knew, in world that makes no sense to them and doesn't care whether they live or die. They mean nothing to The City and The City means nothing to them. That would be enough to fuck me up, I think.

In any case, Mary comes back and does get over her inital shock. So Ellis doesn't say that nobody can get over it.

She does eventually, but not in that story. Read as a one off (which is how one would assume Ellis wanted it read given the stuff he was spouting about quick fix "pop comics" while writing Transmetropolitan) it doesn't hold out a lot of hope that she's going to get over the problem does it?