JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

I still reckon Ellis is spiralling towards John Byrne levels of bitter-creator-who-really-hates-most-of-his-fanbase-ness.

Reminds me of the dream sequence in Transmet when Spider is confronted by the nightmare vision of his drooling, mongoloid audience.

I unsubbed from Bad Signal a few years back and found my enjoyment of his work raised several notches as a result, online he comes off as kind of a creep these days but Nextwave is still the business, quite fond of Desolation Jones too so its not all bad.

I unsubbed from Bad Signal a few years back and found my enjoyment of his work raised several notches as a result, online he comes off as kind of a creep these days but Nextwave is still the business, quite fond of Desolation Jones too so its not all bad.

I'm occasionally tempted to do the same, but the frequent nuggets of comedy gold he inadvertently throws our way (such as the one I quoted just yesterday) keep me hanging on. There's no doubt my impression of Ellis as a writer/human being has been harmed somewhat by his online dickitude, but I still enjoy his better outings, such as Nextwave and Desolation Jones. It has helped encourage me to steer well clear of most of his other Marvel stuff, though, which, so far as I can tell from what little of it I have tried, is no bad thing.

Judging by the tone of his Bad Signal e-mails of late, and some of the assignments he's been taking on, I still reckon Ellis is spiralling towards John Byrne levels of bitter-creator-who-really-hates-most-of-his-fanbase-ness. He's not reached anything like that extreme yet, but all it'll take is a few of his pet projects getting cancelled, or not selling, and he'll get there. Mark my words.

He'll probably have to publish a (non graphic) novel or two before he can ascend to that height, though, and I'm not sure that bragging on the internet about having been commissioned to write a couple of books really counts if they arrive with the same respect for deadlines as many of his comics over the last few years.

His first novel's confirmed as coming out later this year, with another to follow. Both already completed, ready to print. The first one's called Crooked Little Vein, apparently, and already has a cover, blurb and an appreciative comment from Neil Gaiman for the cover.

His first novel's confirmed as coming out later this year, with another to follow. Both already completed, ready to print. The first one's called Crooked Little Vein, apparently, and already has a cover, blurb and an appreciative comment from Neil Gaiman for the cover.

My mistake: I thought the second was still vapourware.

The clock's ticking then, true enough...

Heh - indeed. I'll be interested to see how they're received by non-comics-reading readers/critics, who might be a bit less familiar with Ellis' over-used creative tics.

Heh - indeed. I'll be interested to see how they're received by non-comics-reading readers/critics, who might be a bit less familiar with Ellis' over-used creative tics.

They probably won't be reading it thinking "oh fucking hell, this again?", which could be why Ellis is so enthused about the project.

(On the other hand, SF critics, assuming there's any left at this stage, might take a sterner line towards his tendency to reheat cyberpunk and new wave cliches that have long since been stripped threadbare than comics hacks who don't appear to know where he's pinched most of his ideas from...)

Thunderbolts #110 made for a surprisingly dull read, lots of people sitting round interspaced with a couple of left-ofer Nextwave pages slipped in just to pad it out. When you've got Venom'n'Bullseye on your roster but neither even raises a finger in anger over twenty two pages, you're not really delivering.

It pretty much felt like Ellis wasn't that interested, he's obviously taking the piss with the concept as a whole but he doesn't even seem able to do that with any kind of enthusiasm. Thinking about it, this is probably one of his most high-profile 'whoredom' books - masses of variant covers, big-name characters, spinning out of the hottest selling crossover in donkey's years - yet he hasn't produced a single memorable moment or line in the opening issue.

It pretty much felt like Ellis wasn't that interested, he's obviously taking the piss with the concept as a whole but he doesn't even seem able to do that with any kind of enthusiasm.

I'm not sure why it took me two paragraphs to say this exact same thing. Nicely-put.

After giving in to peer pressure I went and purchased issues 1-10 of Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E.

All of the praise I have heard on these boards and from friends has been justified. It is a fun, not just funny, book. Not many books today can claim that. I love the artistic change by Immonen and it works well with the tone of the book. At this point I would say that X-51, The Machine Man is my favorite character. Ellis writes it all in a very unpredictable way that is very entertaining. He's an alcholic, twisted, amoral, robot with a superiority complex. I don't know if it has been mentioned, but X-51 is very similar to Bender from Futurama. HMMMM?? So therefore: Fry=The Captain, Amy=Tabby, Leela=Monica/Elsa, The Professor/Zap Branigan=General Anger.

Now I have heard the book is done with issue #12. Is this true?

Yup, 'fraid so. Ellis has said that they'll almost certainly be doing something else with the team in future, though - just not as an ongoing series.

Damn. That's too bad, however I would still be happy with the occasional mini-series.

Venom was only in the book for one page.

So, the Scorpion is now Venom....? I was taken aback by that. I had no idea.

When did that happen?

Is the Venom Scorpion the same as the Eddie Brock Venom, or is he more of a henchman, depowered version of the character?

I still reckon Ellis is spiralling towards John Byrne levels of bitter-creator-who-really-hates-most-of-his-fanbase-ness.

Reminds me of the dream sequence in Transmet when Spider is confronted by the nightmare vision of his drooling, mongoloid audience.

Warren's not anywhere nearer to John Byrne than he was at the height of the WEF (less so, because he seems to have more affinity for his fellow comic-creators these days). Also his personality on the Engine (fleshed out with a lot more discussion and humanity) is much more valid than the self-promotional textbytes of Bad Signal and his MySpace bulletins.

Also, he's right about his superhero fanbase.

He's lucky he has any kind of person interested in his non-super stuff giving the gigantic balls-up he made with that shit-tastic run of three-issue minis he did with DC/Wildstorm.

He can blame the market all he wants for his 'having' to work in superhero comics but that awful run of creator-owned stuff, combined with his inability to get his recent non-Marvel work out with any kind of regularity both served to drive pretty big nails through his credability.

So, to sum up : Where's Fell, dammit ?!

(His online leeching is creepy as fuck, too)

Has the Ultimate FF Ellis run been covered in this thread? I've been following this for al ong time and don't recall, and 43 pages is too much to sift through.

I've been reading the run online and am really enjoying it.

http://groups.msn.com/ultimatespidermanonlinecomic/ for thos of you who don't mind stealing media. Scans online with no reader necessary!

I read the issues at the store when they were coming out. I think I read his entire run. He only had two story-arcs, didn't he?

The first one introduced Dr. Doom, right? That one moved in slow motion!

I thought the Negative Zone story-arc was pretty good, but it's something Ellis has done numerous times before.

It's the N-zone arc I'm reading right now. I didn't think I'd like it after the lackluster Ultimate Nightmare, which I'm pretty sure he did, but this arc is winning me over. Plus I'm pretty jazzed about Annhilus after the excellent fun I had with the Annhilation event.

Warren Ellis' Wolfskin for Avatar has been really fun. Giant barbarian gets caught in the middle of two warring villages and will most likely end up killing everyone involved. Good stuff, great art, lots of graphic violence.

He's lucky he has any kind of person interested in his non-super stuff giving the gigantic balls-up he made with that shit-tastic run of three-issue minis he did with DC/Wildstorm.

Mech wasn't bad. (Didn't read any of the others.)

The message behind Mek was churlish, the art ill-suited the story too.

I did quite like the funny one he wrote about the cam-girl and the gangster, though the name escapes me at the mo...Two-Step, maybe ?

The message behind Mek was churlish, the art ill-suited the story too.

I did quite like the funny one he wrote about the cam-girl and the gangster, though the name escapes me at the mo...Two-Step, maybe ?

It was rather mean spirited, but churlish doesn't necessarily equal bad.

(It was called Two Step. Haven't read it, though. It's a pity City Of Silence and Ministry Of Space weren't saved for that lot, now I think about it.)