JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

I'd go further than that, I mean Ellis could (probably) drop a mail to Quesada tomorrow telling him he'd like to write the X-Men and he'd be on it by lunchtime, instead (for all the talk of his Marvel work being 'whoredom') he's stuck to pretty low profile work that obviously appeals to him (though I still don't think his heart is in Thunderbolts).

Oh, I almost forgot Ultimate Gal-Ak-Tus. *coughs*

To be fair, Mark's got health issues that're probably costing him a fotune - doesn't excuse every second word out of his gob being all about the money though.

Incidentally, Ellis writes on his forum that there'll be no more Jack Cross as DC mishandled the property.

Uh-hu.

That's fair enough - I'm harsh on Ellis a lot of the time, but I don't actually think he takes on too many projects solely for the paycheque (Thunderbolts being a notable exception...I see no love for either medium or characters in that toss).

As to the Jack Cross thing...it'd be hard to say that DC mishandled the property more catastrophically than Ellis did himself. Unless the few issues that did see publication were re-written beyond recognition, he did a more than good enough job of screwing that one up all by himself.

I don't know....there's a real sick sense of perverse logic shimmering under the surface of Ellis' Thunderbolts. There's something that makes me be entertained by that book, although I can't quite put my finger on it. It's a straight ahead story, but yet there's something oft-kilter about it. I think Ellis is attempting to make Thunderbolts into Ostrander's Suicide Squad, but he's created some sort of mad hybrid creature.

The plates for the X-books are full right now. Marvel has Brubaker, Carey, and Wheedon for now.

I like Thunderbolts too and I really don't know why. Of course it's only been two issues so there's plenty of time to fuck that up.

"Less of a mercenary [over-used word] than Mark Millar" is hardly a glowing reccomendation. But yes, at least Ellis shows the occasional glimmering of actual love for the medium, which is more than can be said for his illustrious competitor.

Given his obvious taste for science fiction, it is a bit strange that he seems to be one of the only two British comics writers of his generation (the other is James Robinson) who's never done anything for 2000AD.

talking a bit out of my arse, a bit off the cuff, but from what I've gathered Warren spent his formative years writing comics for self satisfied pop culture mags and the like, always 'too cool' for the AD.

talking a bit out of my arse, a bit off the cuff, but from what I've gathered Warren spent his formative years writing comics for self satisfied pop culture mags and the like, always 'too cool' for the AD.

Gazeintofist.jpg

Anybody who thinks they're cooler than that is wrong.

Which is wierd when you consider that the man is a style disaster and a less than closet goth.

Gazeintofist.jpg

Anybody who thinks they're cooler than that is wrong.

Brian Bolland makes me want to chuck all my art out the window and become a vaccuum cleaner salesman.

- tb

bad signal

WARREN ELLIS

People start to bug me if I don't

write these things, now.

Today is all new project stuff.

DOKTOR SLEEPLESS is now up on its

feet, because it was time to write

something about the science-fictional

world we live in, and also time to

write something about a Mad

Scientist. This has been gestating

a long time, ever since I saw that

some of my short fiction I was

writing as warm-ups were sort of

connecting together and painting a

picture. Also, this is a comic that

will be shadowed by a wiki.

Also, I'm making good on a couple of

old promises, or trying to: one

company has a pitch called

DEADSPOTS and I'm rewriting

something called SALLY PATHOGEN

for another.

CRECY is laid out to the halfway

mark, which means it's in very very

detailed note form to page 22.

"Notes" means I lay down most of

the dialogue and rough descriptions,

and then I go back and turn all that

into full script, which forces/fools me

into a second draft of sorts. I'm

keeping the artist about four pages

behind me so I can adjust for him as

we go.

I'm also into a pitch I'm writing for

Marvel, for a book to replace

NEXTWAVE. Because it's important

that Marvel have books that get

cancelled after 12 issues.

Something I didn't know: NEWUNIVERSAL

#2 sold out of its print run too, and

had to be reprinted. Also, it turns

out that sales on #2 went up from

#1 *without* counting the variant

cover it apparently was solicited with.

Given that it's barely a superhero

book, and is written as science

fiction, that's kind of odd.

Also working on something called

FREAKANGELS, which you'll hear

a lot more about in the summer, I

think.

Busy times. But people need more

comics to read, right?

I know my editors read this so I'm

lying about how much work I've been doing

on the new projects I promised them while

I write my second novel and fuck around on

Second Life looking at goth avatars cock slap

each other.

After that I might look at some of

the nude pictures I get sent of deluded girls and have

a wank while my girlfriend is out.

later I'm going to watch some American TV then talk

about it on my personal clique message

board so it looks like I'm involved in

TV projects in the states.

Seriously though Warren is great, but i fear that he may disappear up his own arse if he's not careful.

My own enjoyment of his work increased considerably after I unsubbed from his mailing list, his online shenanigans run the gambit from skeevy old man to gibbering arse.

You won't find many in the US comic's business, with the cache that Ellis has, working on an OGN at Avatar about the Battle of Crécy.

Also, this is a post that will be shadowed by a wiki.

How does Sally pathogen differ from Typhoid Mary? Is she drawn by Tom Coker rather than Romita jr?

Firstly I agree with Mark that Warren stuffed up Jack Cross by himself..but perhaps DC did not give it the TLC Warren wanted...i.e...Cover Artist...Variant...Exposure and perhaps a Vertigo spot...

Regardless I have yet to try out this THUNDERBOLTS run but from what I hear...I do not like and perhaps I hold SUICIDE SQUAD in too much regards to ever like a cheap imposter like this...

My point ( yes there is one) is to comment on the weirdness of NEXTWAVE # 12....a bit barmy indeed, Jmac

but now the series is open to continuation...

Is it true that another NEXTWAVE mini may be in the cards in 07 without Immonen though???

For those that might not know, Dave Campbell wrote a fun little review of the latest issue of Ellis' Thunderbolts here.

I think I'll definitely pick this up when it gets traded..... in 2011.

The Thunderbolts have an ace in the hole, the lethal Daredevil villain known as Bullseye. All the media spin and marketing in the world can't make Bullseye a consumer-friendly brand, so the team keeps him hidden and secure from the public until they need him to get all stabby.

I dunno, if you can convince the public that the brain-eating alien symbiote is a good guy and Captain America is a traitor, Bullseye as the acceptable face of modern heroes should be a piece of piss.

Yeah. They made a lame explanation, saying that this Venom isn't the Eddie Brock serial killer Venom, so that's why Venom is more palatable to the public while Bullseye is problematic.