JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

Nice art, and I like the humor in the map.

Can't stand his fawning message board fans though.

the map was funny, and the art was pretty to look at, but i'm not sure what was going on, other than a guy walking thru the woods in the rain.

Does the tag on that book say US $6.99? Better come with an action figure at that price.

I've only just noticed: no mention of any artist on that "I know where the v sign comes from" cover?

Raulo Cacares is the interior artist, there are pages in the link just under the cover, it's $7 for 48 pages.

I looked at the link, John: it just struck me as a bit odd that the gent doesn't get named on the cover.

I recall that he was talking about a story where vikings and samurai get into some sort of dust up a few years back. Presumably it turned out to be one of his vapourware undertakings.

That plus the fact that she has a so much stupider name will get you a cup of coffee.

Spooky... I've just been reading classic Stan Lee Amazing Spider-Man and digging that very same 60s-70s turn of phrase. Not that you used it correctly. :tongue:

While the 'pluck yew' thing is obviously bollocks I remember my history teacher telling us about the origin of the V sign (not victory the other one).

The Snopes article doesn't debunk the threat that the French made toward the English (to cut their fingers off) just the fact that it was unlikely that they would carry it out, also it doesn't say where it comes from.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4124328.stm

Downloaded issue four of newUniveral. So a small group of people are gifted with powers by the universe itself in order that they can save it?

Striking exciting new ground, eh Ellis?

Oh - and it's a load of decompressed wank with the most obvious cliffhanger of all time. Rubbish.

Downloaded issue four of newUniveral. So a small group of people are gifted with powers by the universe itself in order that they can save it?

Oh - and it's a load of decompressed wank with the most obvious cliffhanger of all time. Rubbish.

It looks more a revival of a bunch of non Marvel U superheros who tanked (because, I suspect, they were utterly crap) back in the late '80s. In this light the "not superheroes" claim does look a bit tragic, really. It's like somebody who's drinking a bottle of gin every other evening insisting that he isn't an alcoholic because alcoholics drink beer not expensive spirits.

(Mind you, I must admit I haven't read any of it, I just recall that the New Universe was first a very big deal and after that a very damp squib back in '88 or so.)

John, true enough. The "pluck you" story is obviously complete and utter bollocks (fuck is at least Saxon -it turns up in some anglo saxon poetry, I think- and probably older than that) and I've heard quite a few versions of the v sign having to do with unpruned fingers.

The actor-inspired art really buggered that one up - I don't think it would've been quite so obvious were it not for the fact that the artist did such a good job of rendering what a 50 year old Sawyer will look like.

Ellis said on his forum that they'll be dropping the actor refs in the future, which certainly can't hurt.

This summer, the world goes black as Warren Ellis unveils his all-new super-powered heroes and villains epic that promises to be the biggest event of 2007! With art by the genius Juan Jose Ryp, no fan of The Authority or Wanted will want to miss this bleeding-edge eight issue masterpiece. This #0 features an original story that leads directly into the full-size monthly series that starts in August priced at just $2.99 per issue! When the political situation in the USA becomes more than Horus can stand, he moves to take matters into his own hands. But since not all his other team-mates aren't so eager to throw the world into chaos, an epic conflict starts to form. And no one will be safe as the bodies start to fall. The event-launching issue is available with a regular or wraparound cover and also a rare 1-in-25 cover featuring the Horus design sketch, all by series artist Juan Jose Ryp.

It looks more a revival of a bunch of non Marvel U superheros who tanked (because, I suspect, they were utterly crap) back in the late '80s. In this light the "not superheroes" claim does look a bit tragic, really. It's like somebody who's drinking a bottle of gin every other evening insisting that he isn't an alcoholic because alcoholics drink beer not expensive spirits.

(Mind you, I must admit I haven't read any of it, I just recall that the New Universe was first a very big deal and after that a very damp squib back in '88 or so.)

I haven't read any of Ellis' series, but it's a revival of the New Universe concept Marvel tried in the 1980s, which failed because no one cared.

It was Marvel's attempt at a high-concept superhero universe, in contrast to the fantastic Marvel Universe, where superheroes existed in a real world setting. Marvel decided to try relaunching the format today, as a high-concept superhero universe like that isn't exactly a revolutionary idea anymore.

Marvel decided it wasn't the characters fault that the New Universe died, but was because it was a concept ahead of its time. The superhero comic audience of the 1980s wasn't prepared for such a high-concept.

I say, no, it's because the characters sucked that the New Universe failed so quickly.

So, you're right in your assumptions Dog Poet. Unless Ellis has completely changed the concept (which wasn't Marvel's intent), it'd be like writing Powers and claiming you're writing crime drama, not a superhero comic book.

Thunderbolts-This series is still holding my interest, and is one of the very few books from Marvel I'm actually looking forward to each month. There's just something about Ellis' Thunderbolts that, even though it shouldn't work, is really working, for mine.

I laughed at the Stan Lee reality TV show commerical.

Norman Osbourne's conversation with Radioactive Man I thought was great.

Digging up American Eagle? Grand!