JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

Ellis et all talk Black Summer at SBC and CBR.

SBC: As I mentioned before, Mr. Ellis you’ve worked extensively for all the major companies out there. How do you feel about the current direction mainstream superheroes are headed?

Ellis: Right now, I'm not certain there's a direction to be identified. Heavy event-programming periods, like the one we're in, really do distort the throughline of the genre. Certainly for the last year, and for the next year or two, the individual voice of the creator is (with a few exceptions to make the rule, of course) being lost to the surge of collaborative work and groupthink. Which I think serves the hardcore audience -- I recently read a review of Mike Carey's X-Men, for instance, which congratulated him on not speaking with his own voice and just writing plain old X-Men stories uncoloured by an author's personality. This is something that event programming does. But it's all cyclical. Three years from now, everyone will be writing comics like NEXTWAVE. And then I will kick them. And then they will explode.

While some may see a comparison to Ellis' Marvel Comics series "Thunderbolts," featuring some questionable characters, they're hardly as morally ambiguous as you might think. "I don't think there's anything morally ambiguous about the Thunderbolts," said Ellis. "They're all monsters, maniacs and moral mutants. Even Songbird's a freak, bless her little heart. Who says, 'I know what my path to redemption is! I'll shag someone called Baron Zemo!?'"

While I agree with Ellis' sentiments, there he is claiming everyone will be writing comics like NextWave in a few years....

How many times have you claimed you were going to blaze the path that all comic writers will follow, Ellis?

Has it ever happened once yet?

Well....you got to give the guy credit for perservering with his delusions.

Has it ever happened once yet?

Well....you got to give the guy credit for perservering with his delusions.

To be fair, it hasn't even happened to Alan Moore or Frank Miller yet, has it?

I think Neil Gaiman and Brian Azzarello might argue with you.

Ellis acts like such a miserable cantankerous git that it's easy to forget he's what? 39? He's still got a few working years to go before he's considered the comics god he thinks he is.

I think Neil Gaiman and Brian Azzarello might argue with you.

Ellis acts like such a miserable cantankerous git that it's easy to forget he's what? 39? He's still got a few working years to go before he's considered the comics god he thinks he is.

Gaiman got over his Moore routine ten odd years ago, and Azzarello has a few more strings to his bow than impersonating Miller as well.

Azarello's almost completely one-note. The only time I've read something of his that's been in any way different in tone to his usual stuff is the great Doctor 13 backup in the Tales of the Unexpected comic.

Gaiman got over his Moore routine ten odd years ago, and Azzarello has a few more strings to his bow than impersonating Miller as well.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek, sorry i dont want to use smileys any more. how long will it be before you come across ;-) in novels? it's a habit we need to stamp out.

Harry slumped forward, a few of the daggers slipping from the red wounds the left in his body, finally he could rest........

....... ;-) JK LOL

Azarello's almost completely one-note. The only time I've read something of his that's been in any way different in tone to his usual stuff is the great Doctor 13 backup in the Tales of the Unexpected comic.

The crap ending aside, I thought El Diablo was a bit atypical.

Harry slumped forward, a few of the daggers slipping from the red wounds the left in his body, finally he could rest........

....... ;-) JK LOL

I like to imagine that means "JK (Rowling) laughing out loud", followed by her diving Scrooge McDuck-style into a pile of gold while a huge screen plays a video of her squirting piss from a gun into the eyes of Harry Potter fans.

Azarello's almost completely one-note.

More-or-less agreed (although I'd add that, in the right context, he plays that one note better than anyone else currently working in comics), but he's still a long way from being a Frank Miller copyist.

And, it looks like even Azzarello's Dr. 13 (which is not something I ever expected to see from Azzarello) is going to have a crap ending, making it firmly have a place within Azzarello's (track-record) canon.

The latest (third) issue of Ellis' Thunderbolts is the first one to show any real promise, though the premise is still...well, dumb...there's at least some effort being made to flesh out the cast. They're an interesting enough lot, especially now that we have a vaguely sympathethic character to get behind - she could do with mopping a little less mind.

It still feels like an akward mix of Nextwave (in which, Harry Osborne could easily have subbed for Dirk Anger) and an early 90s style superhero comic.

There was a signal today where he reeled off about a dozen up coming titles he's working on and what stage of production they're at, seems he really can't turn a job down and as, probably mark said up thread somewhere, he's clearly overstretched.

Doktor Sleepless will never, ever, see print - I can guarantee you that much.

He's been plugging his new superhero thing at Avatar recently, be nice if the last issue of the last series he did with the artist on it actually showed up (Wolfskin).

I just read the first 4 issues of newuniversal, and I liked it. I think that the decompression may be a little carried away, but not much. Especially when you read the original Star Brand comic, where he gets the power on page 3 and is souring through the clouds on page four. That is what was wrong with the original, BTW. It wasn't that the characters sucked, it was that, for all the posturing on Marvel's part about how this was "The real world, with noo aliens, just a few super powered people, acting like real people", the books (well, what I've read of them,or my recent rereading of the 1st 3 issues of Star Brand) featured characters that did not act like real people, but like exagerations of real people. Oh, and there WAS an alien.

Doktor Sleepless will never, ever, see print - I can guarantee you that much.

What makes you so sure about that particular one?

I just read the first 4 issues of newuniversal, and I liked it. I think that the decompression may be a little carried away, but not much. Especially when you read the original Star Brand comic, where he gets the power on page 3 and is souring through the clouds on page four. That is what was wrong with the original, BTW. It wasn't that the characters sucked, it was that, for all the posturing on Marvel's part about how this was "The real world, with noo aliens, just a few super powered people, acting like real people", the books (well, what I've read of them,or my recent rereading of the 1st 3 issues of Star Brand) featured characters that did not act like real people, but like exagerations of real people. Oh, and there WAS an alien.

That Justice sort? Wasn't he hastily retconned not to be an alien anymore after the comic had been running for a year or two?

That Justice sort? Wasn't he hastily retconned not to be an alien anymore after the comic had been running for a year or two?

Well, the guy who got the starbrand (Hal Jor...er...I mean Ken Connell) got it from a dying alien (who told him that his lack of fear made him the best one for it). Later in the 1st issue, he was attacked by an alien. (In the original new universe title, not in newuniversal)

What makes you so sure about that particular one?

The name alone!

Something in the way he's been talking about it strikes me as his latest passing fancy, having said that he's had some promo art up recently so I'm probably talking nonsense as always.

maybe he'll start it, everyone will love it, then he'll get bored and pretend that he's been sick so he doesn't have to finish it.

nah he'd never do that.

To be fair, has he ever not actually finished a series he's started ?

A cynical soul might see this as an opportunity to mutter something cutting about Planetary.