JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

Preacher was ok. Hitman was 100x better.

Truth.

Since the Hitman trades are out-of-print and hard to come by, would someone out there in the great, big cyberspace be willing to hook me up with some scans? Don't care if you've got to ship me a cd or upload them to a file sharing site, anything would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to advertise your piracy here.

Hitmans betters than Preacher? You moist patches of goos gots no ideas, no none and nyet.

I's likes the fancy bathroom stories for me to beings alones what Ellennis whats writes.

Preacher was just Ennis having a wankfest. It had a FEW moments where I liked the characters. But Hitman was nonstop awesomeness. Tommy was just an incredibly cool character. He was like that asshole friend of yours. The one who always drinks your beers, and makes comments about your girlfriends tits. Yeah he can be annoying and cruel, but 70% of the time he is just a blast to hang around with.

He wasn't anything special either, All he really wanted to do was hang out at the local pub with his mates and toss back a few beers while talking about old times and stories. And really, who doesn't want to do that at the end of the day..

Since the Hitman trades are out-of-print and hard to come by, would someone out there in the great, big cyberspace be willing to hook me up with some scans? Don't care if you've got to ship me a cd or upload them to a file sharing site, anything would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to advertise your piracy here.

I should be able to sort you out with an upload via sendspace or the like, if you give me a day or two (I would post the CDs, but postage from Norway is obscenely pricey).

Everyone should read Hitman. You'll laugh, you'll cry, it'll change your life.

OK, so it might not change your life substantially. But trust me, you'll notice the difference afterwards. For one thing, you'll have read Hitman.

I liked Preacher the best when Dave Sim spoofed the series with Rabbi in Cerebus. Remember that? Now that was funny!

(Before it got stupid, when Cerebus believed he was Rabbi and declared war on feminists....or whatever the hell....)

Once again, I really couldn't get into the Hitman series either. Ennis is someone I either love or hate his work. There's some of his work that I find brilliant and absolutely love, but a great deal of it just bothers me and leaves me cold. The guy really tries far too hard most of the time. I don't think he trusts his talent. He has some real innate ability as a writer that few people are gifted with and when he relaxes and just lets that talent flow naturally, he's amazing....but most of the time, you can see that he really forces himself, and it reads that way. I think he's plagued by great doubts of his own ability.

I liked Preacher the best when Dave Sim spoofed the series with Rabbi in Cerebus. Remember that? Now that was funny!

(Before it got stupid, when Cerebus believed he was Rabbi and declared war on feminists....or whatever the hell....)

Once again, I really couldn't get into the Hitman series either. Ennis is someone I either love or hate his work. There's some of his work that I find brilliant and absolutely love, but a great deal of it just bothers me and leaves me cold. The guy really tries far too hard most of the time. I don't think he trusts his talent. He has some real innate ability as a writer that few people are gifted with and when he relaxes and just lets that talent flow naturally, he's amazing....but most of the time, you can see that he really forces himself. I think he's plagued by great doubts.

Oh come on Christian. Clubbing. baby Seals. Zombies. Nuff said.. :lol:

I should be able to sort you out with an upload via sendspace or the like, if you give me a day or two (I would post the CDs, but postage from Norway is obscenely pricey).

Awesome. :cool:

I think God's been hitting the sacrament wine again....

Pass that shit over here, man, I'm outta beer.

There's some of his work that I find brilliant and absolutely love, but a great deal of it just bothers me and leaves me cold.

Examples?

Oh come on Christian. Clubbing. baby Seals. Zombies. Nuff said.. :lol:

And kill the chickens and kill the chickens and...

Ennis work I've enjoyed?

portions of his run on Hellblazer

Heartland (one shot)

True Faith

Pride & Joy

Unknown Solider

Ennis works that bother me and leave me cold?

Most of the rest of his work.

I liked War Stories, vol. 1 a lot.

Maybe as much as anything I've read of his.

Preacher left me cold, most of his HB work hasn't held up well over time, The Darkness is truly awful, no love for The Pro, or his Painkiller Jane stuff, didn't care for his run(s) on The Authority, nor The Boys.

I'm definitely looking forward to reading Hitman, and after that I'll probably track down some of his other World War related work.

His MAX Punisher is fuckin sweet.

I'm tellin' you, if you liked War Stories as much as I did, check out his second stint on Fury: Peacemaker. Nothing at all like the MAX booty stuff and everything like War Stories. Hell, reading it, you wouldn't even know it's about Nick Fury.

I liked his Punisher:The End one-shot. That ranks up there with my favourite Ennis work. I just love that story.

The ongoing series is ok, but I just got tired of it. I see Punisher as a one-not character. Great for a mini-series or a one-shot where you do something different with him, that you couldn't get away with doing for other Marvel characters.

War Stories is a series that I can read and say, "Yeah, I realize why people think this is a brilliant read, but it's not my cup of tea."

I liked War Stories, vol. 1 a lot.

Maybe as much as anything I've read of his.

Preacher left me cold, most of his HB work hasn't held up well over time, The Darkness is truly awful, no love for The Pro, or his Painkiller Jane stuff, didn't care for his run(s) on The Authority, nor The Boys.

I'm definitely looking forward to reading Hitman, and after that I'll probably track down some of his other World War related work.

Ennis didn't write The Authority, that was Mark Millar. Ones Scottish the other is Irish.

Ennis didn't write The Authority, that was Mark Millar. Ones Scottish the other is Irish.

Ennis never wrote The Authority proper, but he's handled the characters a couple of times, most notably in the various Kev minis (none of which have been my cup of tea, although bits of almost all the Kev stuff I've read would work rather better in a non-Authority-related context).

QUOTE (wolvy @ Apr 21 2007, 01:09 AM)<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Preacher was just Ennis having a wankfest. It had a FEW moments where I liked the characters.

I'll forgive a lot for those few moments: if that "Can't I even kiss him goodbye?" page has no impact on you, you've probably been shot through the head yourself...

From the Comicbookresources interview:

"I was inspired by the 'Lost' wiki project, where the first connection was made between a screenshot of the 'boatbillies' and the Dutch scientists involved in Dharma," Ellis added. "If you work hard enough, then you can provide enough material that interested readers can find a whole new level of engagement with the work."

A-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Also:

Another innovation Ellis is making with the series is in the publishing schedule. "I'm avoiding the structure of arcs and stand-alones for "Doktor Sleepless." Ellis explained. "It all runs together, becoming denser and more complex as it goes. We're getting a little too used to neatly parceled comics and it's taking us away from more organic, novelistic shapes. So, I'm simply finding convenient and compelling breakpoints and then breaking for four months so everyone can recover their strength and get a fresh look at the next stretch of road."

Hmm. On the one hand, if it leads to a more densely-packed and interesting comic while keeping Ellis's attention span then it's all good. If it descends into Transmetropolitan-esque stretches of splash panels then... not so much.

While Hitman was more consistent, I do believe that Preacher's high points had Hitman's equivalents beat. Overall I would have to stick with Preacher if only because of the first 3 or 4 trades.

Also, all you smart types can abuse me for this but Adventures of the Rifle Brigade slays me every single time I read it and it is wonderful and awesome.

Another innovation Ellis is making with the series is in the publishing schedule.

Mmmmmmhmmmmmmm.

"I'm avoiding the structure of arcs and stand-alones for "Doktor Sleepless." Ellis explained. "It all runs together, becoming denser and more complex as it goes. We're getting a little too used to neatly parceled comics and it's taking us away from more organic, novelistic shapes. So, I'm simply finding convenient and compelling breakpoints and then breaking for four months so everyone can recover their strength and get a fresh look at the next stretch of road."

Indeed.

edit : James edited his post while I was making this one, bah!

Another innovation Ellis is making with the series is in the publishing schedule. "I'm avoiding the structure of arcs and stand-alones for "Doktor Sleepless." Ellis explained. "It all runs together, becoming denser and more complex as it goes. We're getting a little too used to neatly parceled comics and it's taking us away from more organic, novelistic shapes. So, I'm simply finding convenient and compelling breakpoints and then breaking for four months so everyone can recover their strength and get a fresh look at the next stretch of road."

Hmm. On the one hand, if it leads to a more densely-packed and interesting comic while keeping Ellis's attention span then it's all good. If it descends into Transmetropolitan-esque stretches of splash panels then... not so much.

So like Delano's Outlaw nation or Seagle's The Crusades, then.

Well innovative.

I thought they were both continuous monthlies?

Anyway, that thing sounds to me like Ellis trying to pitch his usual wavering concentration span as a "feature" rather than a problem.