JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

It looks like Ellis has fulfilled a lifetime ambition: I just got the last issue of Wired (and was quickly reminded why I'd stopped buying it in the first place) and there's a load of noise about some interview he did with them the month before on the letters page. Looks like more vapourware blather of the sort he's fond of spouting on the internet from the comments people are making about his latest bigging up of a shiny new thing...

What the hell happened to Warren Ellis?

The last Planetary Trade just came out in TPB so I'm re-reading the books before I start on it (they smell old). I just got through the story where he morphs John Constantine into Spider Jerusalem (incredibly arrogant given everything that's come since). Then the following couple of issues and just being reminded how strong and promising a writer he was 11 YEARS AGO!

What the fuck Warren, what the fuck, seriously, what the fuck.

This is a list of his current output:

http://freakangels.com/whitechapel/comments.php?DiscussionID=7158&page=1#Item_0

Supergod #5 comes out this week, that's it, 9 ongoing titles, all of which are on some form of delay/hiatus, only two of which I was ever interested in. What does he do now? what's going on? how big was that Red cheque that he can sit on his arse and do nothing, have no output and say nothing interesting.

It's weird and just a little bit sad.

Just like that Planetary story where Constantine is an 80's anachronism past his best, who's Warren Ellis going to morph into?

Yeah, well, wait until you read the final Planetary trade.

Talk about sad.

And, remember, it only took Ellis 15 years to finish that one series.

A whole three years worth of material for a mere mortal writer.

I read an issue of POWERS written by Ellis in which Ellis himself goes for a ride-along with the POWERS guy, the cop. It was silly and just a bit self-indulgent, but I mean, look who we're talking about.

He means that it was written by Bendis, not by Ellis.

how big was that Red cheque that he can sit on his arse and do nothing

Probably very big indeed. I know of one indie writer/artist - absolutely not a big name - who stands to receive a quarter of a million quid if the film adaptation of his comic gets made. And that's for a little indie miniseries. I imagine Ellis, with his bigger name, increased TV/movie clout and actual literary agent, pulled in considerably more (though even if he didn't, I'm sure £250,000 would give him a few decades' respite at the very least).

He means that it was written by Bendis, not by Ellis.

Yes, I understood that, yet on the last page of that story appears the masthead in my previous post "by Warren Ellis" emblazened across POWERS.

Is that not part of the satirical element of Bendis making fun of Warren Ellis?

It's a while since I read it, but I recall discussions around Warren's forum at the time and am fairly sure that Bendis wrote it.

Yeah - I think the "by Warren Ellis" byline was meant to be an acknowledgement that a fair amount of "Warren Ellis"' dialogue was quoted directly from things the real Ellis had actually said. So far as I'm aware, the issue was still scripted entirely by Bendis.

how big was that Red cheque that he can sit on his arse and do nothing

Probably very big indeed. I know of one indie writer/artist - absolutely not a big name - who stands to receive a quarter of a million quid if the film adaptation of his comic gets made. And that's for a little indie miniseries. I imagine Ellis, with his bigger name, increased TV/movie clout and actual literary agent, pulled in considerably more (though even if he didn't, I'm sure £250,000 would give him a few decades' respite at the very least).

Come off it, James: Ellis could probably blow a quarter of a million over the course of one afternoon in an Applestore, or whatever they're called.

Yeah - I think the "by Warren Ellis" byline was meant to be an acknowledgement that a fair amount of "Warren Ellis"' dialogue was quoted directly from things the real Ellis had actually said. So far as I'm aware, the issue was still scripted entirely by Bendis.

As I recall Ellis's dialogue was snipped from whatever Ellis was calling his blog/forum at that time.

Also, the ending to that issue was very unrealistic - the real-life Ellis wouldn't have gone into hiding after getting his face melted, he would've blogged about it relentlessly and used it as an excuse not to do half the work he's commissioned to do.

Is that not part of the satirical element of Bendis making fun of Warren Ellis?

It's a while since I read it, but I recall discussions around Warren's forum at the time and am fairly sure that Bendis wrote it.

OK, yeah, I got that after I reread it. It seemed a bit confusing first time through, but makes sense upon further viewing.

A question about his webcomic has recently occurred to me:

is Weebl a Freakangel?

Slaphead, funny eyes, shouts a lot, rather violent. He has most of the symptoms.

(I don't think Bob is, though...)

I just finished volume four,with all the flashbacks,it reminded me a bit of the b&w suits section of 100 Bullets.Ellis when he is on(which I admit is a rare thing)is in a field all his own,but a huge amount of credit must be given to Paul Duffield.Most of the main characters,as they were designed, look very similar to one another.Duffield had always taken the time to differentiate between them with subtle differances in body language,hairstyle,etc.This latest volume has him rendering the angels at various points in there past(6 years ago,9 years ago)and not once is it hard to identify which angels is which,and this is minus the individualized/work related garb they later adopt.

My hat is off to them.If there eligible,they deserve some Eisner and Harvey nominations.

That said, while Duffield's great on body language, he's a bit patchier on hardware. The Mancunian girl's toting a very odd looking shotgun in some episodes...

Warren's teasing that he's writing a new issue of Fell over on his website but it hardly seems worth his time and effort really....

Issue #1 (September 2005)

Issue #2 (October 2005)

Issue #3 (November 2005)

Issue #4 (March 2006)

Issue #5 (May 2006)

Issue #6 (August 2006)

Issue #7 (February 2007)

Issue #8 (April 2007)

Issue #9 (January 2008)

On the 'Red cheque', well that let's me end this post on a positive - he was able to buy his daughter a horse with it which is awesome so fair play.

Rereading Transmet through the medium of trades at the moment, or trying to anyway, it seems like Amazon don't keep many of them in stock - the bastards!

I know it all goes a little pear-shaped in the end and that I'm clutching at straws when I hope that a full read through will finally reveal just what the fuck all that business with the exploding clone (?) was about but all the same I have to say that I'm really enjoying it so far. There's been a big backlash against all of Spider's over-Thompsoned stuff but I could eat that kind of thing with a big fuck-off spoon all the live long day!

Just finished Book 3 which ends with the truly shocking [ Spoiler : and head-expoding death of Vita Severn ].

The final line of the series is still a HUGE favourite of mine...

[ Spoiler : 99% HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ]

Try finding a copy of Transmet zero sometime...

At the urging of another person with a surname of "Spider" I started reading Transmetropolitan in the trades, too. I bought the whole set last month, then read they might do an absolute hardcover version, and I'd have rather gotten that and waited, except that I read each trade cover to cover in one sitting and immediately start the next one. I feel really stupid for putting off reading this series. I'd read the first two trades a long time ago and thought they were good and forgot about them. But around trades 4-8 is some of the best comicbook stuff I've read. that shit about the abused kids at the shelter was a punch in the gut: "Business mister? Business?" How fucking creepy! But Transmetropolitan is breaking into my top 10 as write this. If I had filthy assistants, I would be trouble for some politicos myself.