JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

At the urging of another person with a surname of "Spider" I started reading Transmetropolitan in the trades, too. I bought the whole set last month, then read they might do an absolute hardcover version, and I'd have rather gotten that and waited, except that I read each trade cover to cover in one sitting and immediately start the next one. I feel really stupid for putting off reading this series. I'd read the first two trades a long time ago and thought they were good and forgot about them. But around trades 4-8 is some of the best comicbook stuff I've read. that shit about the abused kids at the shelter was a punch in the gut: "Business mister? Business?" How fucking creepy! But Transmetropolitan is breaking into my top 10 as write this. If I had filthy assistants, I would be trouble for some politicos myself.

I thought I was the only member of this site,not in love with that book(well,that and Criminal).Two days ago,I ordered the first three trades.I can't wait to check them out.

Hey Dom,does Transmetropolitan really have a zero issue?

Yep, but it's a collection not an issue of the comic. The lady in my life was trying to get hold of a copy for her brother last year, but it seems to have gone in and out of print very quickly indeed. I think it's a collection of the Spider Jerusalem journalism they put out, and a few other bits and pieces that aren't in any of the other trades.

Blimey, you're right - it seems to be going for an absurd amount of money. I don't actually have a copy, because I've got the two prestige-format comics it collects, so didn't think it was worth bothering, which in retrospect appears to have been a poor decision. Wonder if those are worth anything?

EDIT: No, they aren't. Since the Christmas story is, I believe, also reproduced in one of the standard trades, anyone who wants the material from the Tales of Human Waste collection would be rather better-advised to seek out I Hate It Here and Filth Of The City, since that'll cost an awful lot less.

Its being offered for an absurd amount, how many people are actually paying that? One was up on ebay last month for £30 but didn't sell.

but it seems to have gone in and out of print very quickly indeed.

It's really not very good and has stuff in it that was printed in other trades (like the xmas story) it's not very good VFM at any price, I remember being very disappointed when I got my copy, which could explain why it's not in print, also you know they are re-numbering and reprinting all the trades so it could be absorbed somewhere else.

Its being offered for an absurd amount, how many people are actually paying that?

Good point, well-made.

It's certainly - being generous - pretty inessential stuff, although there are a couple of nice pages of art.

When I bought the whole collection, #0 was included. I had to go and look to make sure, once dogpoet mentioned it. Sure enough, there it was. Come to northern CA for your obscurities, kids. I paid only the cover price, and since I'm this shop's best customer, I got 10% off for buying the whole collection at once (the owner told me he wants me to buy his shop. Short of doing that, I rely on this man a great deal and might wind up floating him a loan just to keep him in business so I don't have to drive 3 hours to San Francisco every Wednesday).

Dog, I'll check if he has another copy and will mail it to you if your girl still wants it. To my recollection, he seemed to have at least 2 copies of all the Transmet trades because they are all newly reprinted or something. Stand by.

What is the #0 issue?

Isn't that the two one-shot stories which were just random journal articles from Spider's columns?

I think so, Christian.

Slinker, you're a scholar and a gentleman. If he does have another copy, is there anything I can get you in return for that?

He fucked me. Apparently someone told him about its value and he raised the price, that dick! And he sold it , anyway. See if I save his damn shop now!

Transmet is my new favorite thing right now. I just finished Dirge and it might be the best of the lot, so far. But with the major letdowns I've had from comic series finales, I'm starting to get nervous. If this ends like Planetary or Y, I'll shit. If it ends like Preacher or Invisibles, I'll most certainly ejaculate. Somewhere in between, might be OK, but just OK doesn't do this fine piece of work justice.

So, the same guy drew the Boys that drew Transmet, how come Transmet's art seems crisper? Isn't that something one gains from experience? I'm not dogging Robertson, but his style has gotten darker since Transmet, and I don't mean broody or fucked up dark, but literally darker, like he uses more ink or something. Please explain, experts!

I guess the obvious question would be - did the same inker work on both comics ?!

Amazon cancelled my orders for books's 4 and 5, might have to dig out the comics...wherever the fuck I left them.

Oh well, these things happen. Thanks for trying anyway.

If I'd have gone the day I posted, I could have gotten it. But I've been really sore lately. A combination of my advanced age and still healing from the accident, though it will be 3 years this summer.

I guess the obvious question would be - did the same inker work on both comics ?!

Amazon cancelled my orders for books's 4 and 5, might have to dig out the comics...wherever the fuck I left them.

Today, I am putting up my bookshelf next to my desktop PC for easier access to my comics (though I usually go online with the laptop in my bedroom), so I happen to have them all right here. Let's see--

Rodney Ramos inked Transmet and Darrick Robertson inked his own stuff in Boys. Well, obviously, someone else should be inking Robertson's stuff. Methinks he lets his quill drip a bit.

I just finished FreakAngels and I have to say it was way better than I thought it would be. In fact, I read the first trade and left it there until my Texas visit, and i read the rest of them, well the ones that were traded, he didn't have the last one, but it was online, anyway. Good stuff. I actually cared about many of the characters, which doesn't usually happen for me in a Warren Ellis story, except for Transmet, Planetary, and Stormwatch/Authority.

So G4 show an anime show called Wolverine written by Warren Ellis. It is shitty shit shit. Wolverine is tall, voiced by a douchbag fratboy, and the sto0ries are trash. Yuch.

Oh yeah, I saw that once.

Last month, I think.

There was an Iron Man cartoon on before it, and the Iron Man show was far better.

The Iron Man isn't great (it's no Spider Man:The Animated Series), but it was at least watchable.

I did not like the Wolverine one. It faced all the draw-backs which Slinker mentioned.

It made me mad because I had watched the Wolverine Origins movie on FX the night before and it wasn't very good ( I had only seen the unfinished version that was leaked with the final battle scene scribbled with crayolas). And the anime added a "fuck you, fanboy!" to injury.

I know it's churlish to moan about something given for free but man, Freak Angels ended up going nowhere - it felt like the whole closing act was nothing more than a series of splash pages dominated by big purple circles.

Yeah, but I thought he resolved it pretty well. Still, I would have rather read more about repelling marauders with their powers, the chick with all the fuck slaves, and the bald girl. I wanted more adventures in their flooded out world.

I'm with Slinker. I have enjoyed Freakangels and also this week that Super God one more than most of the last five or more years of Mr Ellis's work.

This made me smile:

Warren Ellis

"I have decided that my next comics project will be a collection of covers for a comics series that doesn't actually exist. Good night".

As anyone who used to read the WEF will know, we've been there many times before.

I'm with Slinker. I have enjoyed Freakangels and also this week that Super God one more than most of the last five or more years of Mr Ellis's work.

This made me smile:

Warren Ellis

"I have decided that my next comics project will be a collection of covers for a comics series that doesn't actually exist. Good night".

As anyone who used to read the WEF will know, we've been there many times before.

:hattip:

It'd be a more impressive conceit if he hadn't been bigging up that biography of a nonexistant artist all over his forum, come to that.