JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

Wow.. that is my impression after reading Secret Avengers #20. Ellis is back at his peak, after last couple of years slump and some of the less thrilling comic work in his career. The SA run so far qualifies as perfect comics in my book. The story here is Natasha R on a time travel adventure to save the team. Did Warren learn from Grant M or figure it out by himself, or just evolved as a writer, I don't know, but the 20 pages are so full of a dense story, humor, great character moments, ideas, emotion and great dialogue, that I am completly blown away. Such a great feeling from a comic. On top of that Mr Ellis has a way of bringing out the best in the artists and this time is no different. I usually can't stand Maleev's work, but here I reealy liked it. There is especially one sequence there that brings the artwork in this book from "great" to "special".

I wonder if Ellis is producing his very best work knowing he may not be doing comics in the near future, as he stated on his website he has none planned. Or perhaps he just became a better writer somewhere along the way. I guess we will find out soon.. Viva Waren Ellis!

Absolutely!! It was a very enjoyable issue. This is the Ellis I love. I particularly liked Natasha's exchancges with Beast, trying to get tips on time travel while not corrupting the time line.

It's to bad the preceeding issues sucked so bad, I did not stay on long enough for this gem. I heard a new creative team is taking over Secret Avengers?

Yup! Remender & Hardman (Agents of ATLAS). The new team will be lead by Hawkeye, with new members Captain Britain, Giant Man, Venom & The Human Torch (the android Jim Hammond), along with Beast, Valykrie and Black Widow

I'm with Lou on Ellis' run on Secret Avengers, but I also agree with Shawn that the book did eventually hit a stride, right before Ellis left.

The Black Widow time-travel issue was very well done and creative, and the final issue of the run was a gem.

I'm surprised that the over-arcing plot was left unfinished though. I wonder if Remender is picking up on it, or if Ellis might come back to it sometime, or if it'll remain in Ellis' book of "I couldn't be bothered to write an ending".

I was trying to think of the title to "Desolation Jones" the other night, but didn't want to dig into the pile of WildStorm books I have. That was a really good series from Ellis, I was thinking about what a shame it was that Ellis couldn't be bothered with it anymore.

None of the first four issues of the past hundred comics that Ellis wrote after Desolation Jones have compared to how good Desolation Jones was looking.

For real, CC. That's why it pains me to see him write stuff like Secret Avengers when he totally left Desolation Jones hangin' one (maybe 2) issues into the second arc. W.T.F.

What a fucking freak! We had the same childhood! Geographically, what's his accent? I've heard that one before on villains in James Bond movies. Alan Moore has a similar accent, too, right? the way he stretches words out reeeeaaalllyyyy looooonnnggg. Is that a regional or a class accent?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFnXSkq1lvY

Watch the whole movie online for $3 US

Best line: "Warren Ellis will fuck you with the future and make you say 'thank you' for it"

Speaking of Ellis, is Doktor Sleepless now officially in his vault of comics he will never finish?

I read the series in Trades, and it seems he stopped at issue #13, in the middle of a story-arc. Did he ever write any more issues?

I'm not saying I'm surprised that Ellis drops a series out of nowhere, but I was really enjoying Sleepless.

• Upvote 1

Doktor Sleepless can annoy Desolation Jones forever in obscurity.

Isn't Nextwave, Agents of Hate just Ellis' Stormwatch/Authority under the Marvel circus tent? Foulmouthed irreverent super beings with a maniacal, evil commander (Dirk Anger=Henry Bendix), Monica = Jenny Quantum, Aaron Robot guy = the Doctor, the Captain = Apollo/Hawksmoor, Tabitha has the power of Jenny Savage, the wit/oneliners of Swift. It's a total clone of the period in Stormwatch when Bendix went mad and rogue and went against his own team.

from Tumblr:

avatar_0222a17cc14e_24.png mulhollandn0ir

Desolation Jones is one of my favourite books ever! Unfortunately it doesn't look the second story was ever collected? Do you know if this oversight will ever be corrected?

warrenellis

For various reasons, many of which were entirely out of my control, the second DESOLATION JONES story was never completed, and likely never will be.

Desolation Jones' second story-arc would have the smallest (and most unfulfilling) second TPB ever published. I think it would consist of two issues.

No. NextWave is nothing like Authority. It's really the anti-Authority. It's just crazy, funny ideas using the Marvel Universe as a play ground, really to mock the Marvel Universe.

The final issue is probably the craziest and funniest story Marvel has ever published.

Although, the one issue with Aaron Stack's life in an office cubicle is pretty sober and touching. If I remember correctly, though, it took place as part of a fight with Forbush Man.

Shit, I miss that series now that I think about it. I need to put it out of my mind again, so I don't grow sad all over again.

Or you can re-read it! It's the best thing Wozza's put out in yonks (to borrow a phrase form Johnny Mac).

And I do not believe for one second that Desolation Jones' incompletion was entirely out of Wozza's hands.

He's back !

++ORBITAL OPERATIONS 8dec13

Hi. I’m Warren. This is the first note from the new newsletter system, ORBITAL OPERATIONS. Let me start first by thanking you for operating the deliberately minimalist website and signing up. Second, this is the first newsletter on a new system -- actually a bolting-together of two systems -- which can also be described as “minimal.” So anything could go wrong, and probably will, and we must agree now to find the inevitable catastrophes nothing but funny. This system doesn’t even have email templating, and no obvious way to screw one in, OR responsive design for mobile, so I’m writing this in Google Drive, in a large font. I apologise now if anything looks weird. We will get better at this.

With your indulgence, I’m going to open by doing all the new work announcements as of today. We will get to the other things later.

The other week, Wil Wheaton went into a studio and recorded an audiobook version of my horrible little story DEAD PIG COLLECTOR. I don’t know right now what the international provision of this audiobook is, but I do know that it can be pre-ordered in North America right now. This is the Amazon.com link. I’m sure audiobook fans know where else to go.

This was actually all Wil’s idea -- I’d never even considered an audiobook version before Wil basically told me that there should be one and that he should do it because he loves it and is richer than me and can presumably have me disappeared if I disobey him. So, this beer is for Wil, who’s saved me from myself once more. And all the people who wanted him to do the GUN MACHINE audiobook because of his voiceover for the Jim Batt/Ben Templesmith trailer will now be happy, I hope.

[FAQ: Ben’s had the FELL #10 script for a couple of years, but his life is massively busy and complicated. I know he’s broken ground on it, and he knows that when he finishes that issue I’ll write another one. But it’s not on any schedule, and will happen only when Ben has time and space in his life. We are good friends and all is well. I believe I’m also set to write the introduction to his next big project.]

I did an interview with the LA Times’ HERO COMPLEX the other week to announce that I’m writing a new MOON KNIGHT series for Marvel Comics, working with artist Declan Shalvey and colourist Jordie Bellaire. Very much a team, those two, and I enjoy being able to write for a colourist again. I presume it launches in the spring, I can’t find a hard date on my schedule right now. I’m working on the script for the third issue at the moment, and Dec just showe d me layouts for the second issue. He has a really interesting way of telling a story using stacks of page-wide panels that’s keeping me on my toes.

While in NYC for things, I got to have a couple of drinks with author Cat Marnell, who’s written a frightening amount of material for her first book, HOW TO MURDER YOUR LIFE. If you’ve ever enjoyed my more hauntological and Fortean musings, I’d go looking for that book when it comes out if I were you.

[FAQ: I have a FAQ category on my website.]

I am also STILL getting over a case of Manhattan Swine Flu gifted me by some infected git at my Fclorbidden Planet NYC signing, wherein I defaced comics for more than two hundred and fifty people. Thanks go to Jeff and his team at FP NYC. And one day I will find the plaguebag who gave me this hideous choking disease and cut all their skin off to teach them a valuable lesson about contamination.

[FAQ: I did not just invent Manhattan Swine Flu. Also I have awards and a medal. So shut up.]

With my other hand, I’ve also broken ground this week on a new prose novella, a longish one, which I’ll be doing with Farrar Straus Giroux, also the publisher of DEAD PIG COLLECTOR and the non-fiction book I’m slowly wrestling to the finish line. Not sure what else I can say about that right now -- I gave an interview to MTV News a couple of weeks back that was partially about it, but I don’t know when (or if!) that’s going to pop, and we don’t have an official press release yet, so...

Anyway. I’m writing that at this second, here at Mission Control in Undisclosed Rural Location. In a few days, I get on a plane back to my Sea Fort in England, in the sure knowledge that I’ll be on another plane five or six weeks later. There is much happening, and much to do.

I realise this first one might have been a bit dull, but I thought it was worth catching up, for friends new and old. This was also bloody interminably long, too. I will do better.

Hail Ming etc etc,

W

Yeah, never went away, I know.

Remember Fell?

etc etc

Ellis is currently on as co-writer of Avengers Assemble. So, of course I had to pick it up.

It features a team-up between Spider Woman, Black Widow, and Spider Girl.

It's not bad. Ellis' dialogue is fun and I like his little political commentary, but there's nothing here that anyone other than an Ellis completist would be interested in reading.

That's nothing, Lou: Wozza almost forgot to write it.

:icon_wink:

• Upvote 1

I wonder if they factor his behaviour into his rewards?. If you or I were as casual about our work-life, "No year-end pay increase for YOU, mo-fo", right?. Surely the suits say "Pay-day for Ellis?, cut that check a trifle short, say, ten percent".

Moon Knight #1-Not bad. Some street level stuff, but a lot of Ellis' craziness thrown in. It vaguely reminded me of the early part of Nocenti's run on DD. The issue felt sort of short though, like there wasn't much meat. I'm not sure it's worth the price tag, but it's pretty good.

I liked seeing Ellis point put how stupid the Bendis series was too.

I enjoyed this very much.

Even the bits that looked like a Planetary / Authority tribute are good.

Moon Knight has been a nice change up to the character yet still faithful. He's like a crazier Sherlock.

And Declan is killing it on art.