JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

Warren Ellis is back with a vengeance!

After being disappointed with his record in 2013, Ellis says he's made a resolution to have at least 18 unfinished series in 2014! Setting his sights high.

Next up:

Ellis comes to Image for a series called Trees. It's Thomas M. Disch's first novel The Genocides, only as a comic book!

Aliens invade Earth, but they're so far above humans that they don't even consider us sentient beings.

Maybe there will be a commentary about the way we humans treat other beings on the Earth, like in Disch's novel? Perhaps.

Being snide as I am, I do look forward to checking it out.

• Upvote 1

CBR: Warren Ellis Confirms New Image Series, "Trees"

... On Ellis' official site, he wrote that they're hoping to have six issues finished by the time #1 is released by the end of May, and that the series could be a long-term project for both creators.

"'Trees' is open-ended -- at this stage, we think the first tranche of story will run about eight issues," Ellis wrote to fans.

Hoping to have six issues finished... could be a long-term project... open-ended... we think...

Yep.

• Upvote 1

would he even have a job were it not for his own comic company?

My ass is still chapped from Desolation Jones.

+1.

Fuck. That first story was so damned good.

+1.

• Upvote 1

Anybody read this "Captain Swing and the Electric Pirates of Cindery Island" trade from Avatar?

Not bad but I've only skimmed it.

Are you sure you didn't buy that in single issues, Lou? I have a memory of you saying you bought the final issue, and I didn't even realize the final issue was released.

I might not have actually ever bought the final issue....I remember the first three issues came out, basically, on time, and then there was like a year wait between the third and fourth issues, and I totally forgot about the book in that year's time. That's what happens, Ellis, even if the book is pretty good.

I remember liking the series, but it was a while ago now. Something about a steampunk story featuring Luddites led by Spring-Heeled Jack.

Funnily enough, I just mentioned the Captain Swing comic book in my column I just finished for May. Synchronicity!

crazy. you are reading my thoughts

I sure as fuck hope I didn't buy this already but when he takes a year off between issues like that it's hard to fucking tell.

I kind of want to kick him in the stomach a little bit.

The 2nd Moon Knight was a kick in the nuts indeed. After starting so well with no.1, we get an issue that must have taken whole 10 minutes to write, even if Declan Shalvey does his best to salvage it.. it's just not enough. i missed ellis visiting ny by one day, he was hanging out at some bar on the 9th, i read his blog on the 10th.

Ellis is going to write Supreme. Wait...what?!?! Yes, he is. I would love if Supreme could a redux like Prophet. Hopefully it will be just as awesome.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52297

You are not dreaming.

We are trying to communicate with you.

Local reality has been reinstalled.

Things have gone wrong.

The revision has corrupted.

Finding Ethan Crane is your supreme priority.

We are speaking to you from the ultimate bunker within the structure of multiversal time.

Do not trust Darius Dax.

We are all going to die.

It will never reach the awesomeness level of Alan Moore's Supreme though.

So...does it worry any one else that Ellis is suddenly taking on a lot of projects again? I think this bodes well.

Soon, Supreme will end up like Marvel's New Universal...Moon Knight will be announcing a new, and crappy, creative team...Ellis will be giving updates about when the delayed issue #4 of Trees will be shipping (and it probably won't ever ship)...and Avatar will be releasing thirty new first issues by Ellis by the end of the year. It's not a good sign.

• Upvote 1

Cynical as ever Christian!

That said, given his track record, I'm on a strict trades only diet when it comes to Warren.

Good to see him back in comics but what an uninspiring slate of WFH titles he's signed up for.

• Upvote 1

Picked up a digital version of Trees, Ellis' first straight-to-print (ah you know what I mean!) creator owned work in a good long while and...well....I kind of want my money back. Slight would be a kind description, there's a brief history lesson that sets the scene and then some flimsy character introductions that did nothing to grab me at all - then it just ends.

Really disappointed with the lack of bite to the language, if nothing else you used to be able to rely on Ellis to brutalise the written word and turn a phrase that would raise a wicked grin but there's no heart or guts here, certainly not to the characters or in their banal interactions.

It's a small thing but one character repeats the same line of dialogue ("I'm from Lower Manhatten") twice in the same conversation, felt like first draft stuff y'know ? Like if anyone had bothered reading the exchange a second time they'd have picked up on it and dropped one of them - maybe it's deliberate, and we'll see the character use it like a catchphrase.

Art's good though.

Ah, didn't manage to read it yet but that is not a good sign.

I fear his best days are far behind him.

Yeah, I think Ellis' best days are behind him too...It's hard to say, when he can't be bothered to finish most projects. Doktor Sleepless was looking good, but it just petered out. NextWave was probably his last truly good series that he actually bothered to finish.

Having said that, I'm not as down on Trees #1 as John, although his points are all valid.

What most struck me about the story was how UN-Ellis-like the story seemed. Usually Ellis' style is very distinctive, and I can't think of the last time I read an Ellis comic that I felt could have been written by a different writer. Although a different writer who also likes decompression a great deal.

The first couple of pages were taken up by re-writing the copy editor's description of Trees published in pre-publication material. That sort of ground on my nerves. Ellis took the description of the first issue from preview material (did he even write the pre-publication synopsis?) and copies it in as the text over the art and spread it out for five pages!

Thankfully, he did manage to do more than that for the remainder of the story, but it's true that not a great deal happens in this first issue.

It's also true that this sort of did read as a first draft...I noticed one other point where dialogue was repeated.

I think Ellis is writing this with the Trades in mind, as the story really does just do a full stop with no reason to break. It might be a good sign that Ellis has written more than the script for the first issue, because it seems that the book got to the required page count and then just ends. Ellis did that same "trick" with this month's Moon Knight story, but unlike in Moon Knight, Ellis doesn't expect the reader to buy this as an entire story unto itself. There's at least the knowledge that the story is picking up next issue, but yeah, it's still just breaking off mid-scene.

The story isn't bad though, right now I think it's using a slow build, which would be more forgivable if this were a graphic novel. And, while I am a fan of Ellis overall, I like the idea of something written by him that you don't immediately recognize as being indicative of Ellis' usual writing style. There can come a point where a writer's quirks start to become cliche, rather than solely unique (see why so many on the internet give Chris Claremont such a hard time, even though he was once a quality writer.), but I wish one of those quirks that remained wasn't Ellis' love of decompression and being a lazy writer*.

*Ellis can make the excuse that he's using a "literary technique", like he did when he started the heavy-decompression style, but he's not using it for style, he's simply being a lazy writer. Time has vindicated this assessment, as Ellis can't even be bothered to finish 75% of the projects he starts.

• Upvote 2

Christian, you hit the fat guy square on the head - ever since Desolation Jones and Planetary's last 3 issues taking a year between each one to release, I don't trust Ellis at all. There's something to be said about earning your stripes so that you can take time off and don't have to constantly work hard with never ending deadllines, but he took that concept to the bathroom and did horrible things to it in there - taking a year between issues! Never even finishing a series and leaving it hanging forever.

"Ellis' Abused Time off? Please show us where the bad, lazy man touched you on this doll, here."

700.hq.jpg?3567

• Upvote 2

What most struck me about the story was how UN-Ellis-like the story seemed. Usually Ellis' style is very distinctive, and I can't think of the last time I read an Ellis comic that I felt could have been written by a different writer.

That's what I was trying to say myself, so fair play - the plot is latter day Ellis but without his signature dialogue or characters it's just....dull.

I think Ellis is writing this with the Trades in mind

I wonder if he actually wrote it with the web in mind, the pace would've been fine for something that came out for free every week or so but as the opening salvo in a monthly series that costs me cash money ? Not for me, chief. Imagine this issue was actually a pilot for a TV show!

CLOSE UP ON PLANT.

Foreboding Music.

*audience sniggers*

END CREDITS.

Pilot not picked up, we wish you the best with your future endeavours.

And I still bought #4 today, knowing full well this was the case. Said I wouldn't and I did. God dammit.

Also bought Trees. It's alright, will give it the proverbial four issues before he fucks off to something else.