JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

tumblr_n6ydppoGaV1rmciqpo1_500.png

just FYI, John Hodgman is an infrequent Daily Show contributing guest (He has his own segment, like once a month on TDS) and Seth Meyers has a talkshow after formerly being the anchor for Weekend Update on SNL.

Always did like Seth Meyers. Always was confused by Twitter. Don't know who is saying what to whom. Takes me a bit to figure it out.

I bought the first trade of 'Ocean' for a few bucks a second-hand store. What say you, good people?

I mean I'm sure I'll read it anyway; I'm just wondering if I need to brace myself for a story that suddenly cuts off, never to be conti

I don;t think I have read Ocean. That might be one of those tales I let slip by for fear it would never be finished.

See the climate of fear you've created, Warren? Spider Jerusalem would be rolling-

well he's always rolling but you get the idea

I think that was one of the fairly-poor 'pop comic' minis he did, they usually ran 3-6 issues and were generally rubbish. I've read this but, to be honest, I can't remember a single thing about it.

I think it actually shipped on time. It was a different time for Ellis....his books were heavily decompressed and not interesting...but it was in the period before he decided to make his "gimmick" starting and stopping new series randomly.

Like others here, I read it, but forgot much of anything about it. I remember not hating it, but finding it pretty dull. I think it was somewhat by-the-numbers sci-fi.

Just avoid Orbiter. I seem to remember Orbiter coming out right about the time Ocean started, and I kept confusing the two Ellis books. Ocean is a decent read, but not a must read. Orbiter is "stay the hell away from it". One of the worst things Ellis ever wrote. It annoyed the hell out of me.

Can't seem to recall that one either. I think after a while I just started ignoring most of his work.

As i recall, Ocean sucked. interesting premise, lousy delivery. Same for Orbiter and Ministry of Space.

he did a steampunk book that was ok, but i can't remember the title.

I just bought that hahahaha. Something Something and the Electric Pirates of Something Else. I like what I have read so far.

Captain Swing and the Electrical Pirates of Coney Island, yeah. That was a good read...but there was a year delay before the final issue was released. I forget if I even bothered to buy the final issue by that point. Outside of that, it was a story that I enjoyed....Luddites, Spring-Heeled Jack....things I love.

Orbiter didn't even have an interesting premise. It was just all around bad. I hated it.

I never read Ministry of Space.

Lou-Ocean and Orbiter were both from a while ago...2004, I want to say.

Lou-Ocean and Orbiter were both from a while ago...2004, I want to say.

Fuck em both. Gimme more Fell and Desolation Jones, Wozza!!!!!

• Upvote 1

christian, i didn't mean orbiter had an interesting premise, just that it sucked too. odean was an interesting premise with a lousy end result. Ministry and orbiter just sucked, as well.

as a huge fan of it myself, i am angry that deolation jones was not finished but from what I read about it, it was the artist's fault. he was taking too long and by the time they changed artists, Wildstorm pulled the plug as a money saving effort. of course, wildstorm was destroyed in the financial collapse or just before. collateral damage my arse!

J.H. Williams was the artist.

Well, what excuse does Ellis have for Doktor Sleepless, and all the rest? He can blame the artist, and Williams is a very detailed artist who does seem to take his time, but when it's a writer who is known for not finishing series, it rings hollow.

I don't think we'll ever see Desolation Jones again either.

That was around the time that Grant Morrison's WildCATs and Authority abruptly ceased publication also.

I don't know if it was bad luck for WildStorm around that point, or something was going on behind the scenes, not too long before they went belly up.

• Upvote 1

Hahahaha I forgot about the one issue of Wildcats GM did. I think he was able to get one issue of Authority out too. And was he gonna do Grifter?

Just those two. It was bad.

He actually got out two issues of Authority. Eventually, WildStorm decided to just replace Morrison on Authority.

Just the one issue of Wild CATs. Morrison said he'd finish it as a graphic novel, but WildStrom went under first. So, Wild CATs was really never revived again.

I'm glad Morrison didn't waste his time though, as his Wild CATs looked bad...just an homage to the early-90s series. I never liked that book. Joe Casey's run was ok, but I lost interest in it too eventually.

First issue of Trees is available to read for free till Monday over on the Image Comics site, which makes me feel so much better at having wasted money on it in the first place. Bah.

• Upvote 1

I really enjoyed Desolation Jones. I think it might've been the first Ellis I ever read. Kind of appropriate, really; it's got all his usual bag of tricks, right down to suddenly throwing the bag away out of sheer boredom.

• Upvote 1

I took advantage of the free digital copy of Trees. Definitely worth every penny. It's a neat concept, there's decent art, but....well...that's it.

This latest issue of Trees ended rather abruptly, much like Moon Knight did last month. Also, it was very dull. I think I am done with this cat.