JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

Did Warren stay till the end of the talk?

Probably had someone like Kelly Sue DeConnick cover the rest of it.

Nearly a year later, has no-one read Trees or any of his stuff ?

Came close to getting my stalker on during the week when Ellis posted a picture to twitter of the pub he was sitting in as it happened to be my work-local and was 60 seconds walk from where I was sat at the time. Decided to leave him to his pint in peace though.

Trees ended in the middle of an issue too many times and I dropped it after nothing happened for 4 issues.

I am buying injection this week on account of me being a sucker.

I stuck with it through the entire first story-arc. Very little happened by the end of those first six issues, so I gave up.

Yeah, Injection started this month, so I switched Trees for Injection.

I posted my review of Injection #1 elsewhere. It didn't excite me though, we'll have to see if more happens in issue #2.

Injection #1-I have no idea what's going on in this issue. It does end with a great cliffhanger.

I do believe Warren Ellis based one character on John Constantine. He likes throwing Constantine archetypes in to his comics.

Maybe if the artist hadn't drawn that guy with blond salon hair and stubble, the character wouldn't feel so much like Constantine. (But it'd still look like a young person dressed as Doctor Who. :smile: )

Nice cliffhanger, and the mention of the Ridgeway was an instant win for me. On the other hand the dialogue was stilted, expository and wanky. I'll see what issue 2 does.

Sure am digging on Injection. 3 issues in and there's more story, character, humor, violence and wonder than in anything Wozza's written in as many years. Still not sure what is going on but this feels like Wozza's salad days a bit

Issue #3 was better, as it felt like it was moving in the direction of having a plot. I'm still not totally sold on the book though. The description made it sound different, and better, than what we're seeing on paper. I'll give it a few more months to see if it becomes more coherent. I worry that we may be in for issues dragging without much happening, with a more substantial issue every so often helping to outline an actual plot.

I guess to be fair, more happened in this issue than the first 8 issues of Trees, so that's moving in the right direction.

That should be Ellis' new gimmick actually. Remember the days of anniversary issues where something big would happen? Well, Ellis has special plot building issues, where something actually happens to add to the story! Special 5th issue with a piece of the plot revealed!

Sure am digging on Injection. 3 issues in and there's more story, character, humor, violence and wonder than in anything Wozza's written in as many years. Still not sure what is going on but this feels like Wozza's salad days a bit

Well now you've gotten my hopes up, son.

Read Supergod, a five issue series Ellis wrote for Avatar about mankind creating its own gods and the predictably awful fallout that follows. Nothing to it at all, real Ellis on autopilot.

Didn't he actually finish all five issues of it, though?

That's not really Ellis firing on all cylinders...

• Upvote 1

Comixology are currently running a sale of Ellis' Avatar stuff - picked up Black Summer and No Hero.

Read Black Summer last night, pretty good, carried in large part by Ryp's art but there's still some good Ellis in there. Could easily be read as a coda to his Authority phase.

No Hero was fun, again Ryp does a lot of the heavy lifting but [ Spoiler : spine cock ] will stay with me for some time.

Also picked up Injection and...hang on...this is actually a really good Warren Ellis comic! Funky hook, nice mix of characters and missing the too-grim edge from the Avatar material. Would make a good tv series with the plot-of-the-week right there, front and center. Unfortunately, as this shows great promise, either it won't develop a strong enough audience to carry it or Wozza will lose interest. Till then though, I'm in!

inject_dublin.jpg

As an aside, nailed the look of the bits in Dublin, my work local and where I get (what's left of) my hair cut are visible in the panel above.

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah, I saw that JLU episode a few weeks back. That bit with Batman falling out of the plane was great.

I thought Iron Man was good too.

Just wondering, did you get that avatar from the KillerMovies Forums?

Hello from out here on the Thames Delta, in the chill drizzle.

I was going to start adding new things to the newsletter this week, but, between trying to run some scripts to ground, finish a rewrite on a thing and dealing with a few flurries of bad work news (it happens), the week has gotten eaten and now it's Sunday morning. So you'll have to put up with the usual rambling crap instead.

KARNAK #1 is out this coming Wednesday. And I think that's about all the news I have this week. There's a lettered preview over here.

Oh! Before I forget, Scott Gosnell of the Startup Geometry podcast wanted to pass on his thanks: his show has flown up the rankings since so many of you listened to the interview he did with me and discovered all the other episodes of his fine production. That interview is still up, here.

Right. What's next?

Oh, hey. Here's eight pages of the JAMES BOND book by myself and Jason Masters. Pretty much the entire cold open, I think. That's out in the first week of November.

++

Tibetan Singing Bowls sound generator. You're welcome.

ON WHiCH NOTE oh shut up I will leave this mini-edition here, and will write you a proper letter next week. I hope this one didn't try your patience too much. See you in seven days, when I will be out from the fog of work.

-- Warren