JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

I've found that I enjoy his work more if I don't follow him via his mailers - in the past, at least, he was prone to waffling on about stuff that interested him and said waffle would often manifest itself (close enough to word for word) in the pages of his comics.

Karnak #1-It has potential. Ellis' take on Karnak is very interesting. The plot is very average, but that's not the appeal of the book (or at least I hope it won't be). Karnak can see the "flaw in all things" (as created by Lee and Kirby). Ellis takes this to its furthest degree by saying that Karnak literally sees the flaw in everything. He can't believe in anything, because everything in life is flawed. It makes for a very unlikeable character, but it's also something different. I can get behind that level of pessimism.

Yes, there are some Ellisisms throughout. There are a couple of pages without one word.

It's too soon to judge the book, but if Ellis pursues Karnak's world-view (which isn't actually a "world-view" as Karnak's power allows him to see through everything, so it's actually very much The Truth) to its logical end, this book could be great.

I tend to enjoy the stuff he links to.

I know it's childish, but I enjoy watching him favourite tweets from attractive young women.

It's too soon to judge the book

How many issues is he going to write though ? Six ? Mmmmaaaayyyybbbeeee twelve ?

• Upvote 1

Corporate whoring like Nextwave is vastly inferior to his creator owned properties: he actually has to finish the corporate jobs instead of abandoning them mid plot.

I'm pretty sure he's managed to drop Marvel and DC projects too. I remember Marvel made a big deal out of revamping the New Universe (for some reason!) a while back and chose Ellis to do the job. He wasn't doing too badly of a job either....for those two issues he actually finished. Then, you never heard about it again. I'm sure that wasn't an anomaly. Yeah, it is a shame that NextWave got finished though. It hurt a sterling record. I mean, that final issue of NextWave was an amazing comic book too. It's sad to think that we actually got to read something so good from Ellis. It's just not the same if you can't say, "Hey! Remember NextWave? I wonder where that was going? It seemed like it might have been good." The certainty of knowing that it was good just ruins an Ellis book.

Nextwave is up there with some of Ellis' best stuff, it's slight but very entertaining and the sudden dark nods to the main cast's awful pasts helped build a foundation that could've supported a second twelve issue run I thought.

You'd think if he can't be arsed writing any more about these characters, he could farm them out instead. I'm sure some of the writers they have spinning out an Alan Moore plot pitch Dez Skinn turned down in 1983 into a six issue miniseries over at Avatar would love to take a crack at some of Ellis' cast offs for a change.

Maybe he watched From Russia With Love on a telly with the speaker broken?

Really liked this latest issue of Injection (#6, I think) but then again i think Viv is mt favorite character. Didn't care much for the abrupt ending, hopefully Wozza finishes the story. He did that in Moon Knight and Trees and it annoyed me then too.

That's Ellis' new annoying habit. Meanwhile, on the Marvel front, Karnak has not been seen since issue #1. I believe the book is now running three months late. Maybe the first issue will be all we'll ever see of Karnak.

That's Ellis' new annoying habit.

Right? Really chaps my ass. If we get into issue 7 and he doesn't somehow continue this tale I'll be furious. See also Moon Knight 4 (the dream one)

Oh you're stealing dreams from a dead man

*punch*

*le fin*

Oh yeah, karnak. Forgot all about that (so did Wozza)

Karnak is delayed by personal problems FOR THE ARTIST.

Maybe you would not want to be an artist on one of Warren Ellis's works.

I guess not. He's more of a black magician than Moore or Morrison ever could hope to be, all that "I'm a materialist" stuff is just to throw people off his powers. He hexes his artists, so he can blame them for his running late on projects. "Oh, it's not my fault. It's the artist who is slowing me down."

Still, he's doing better than Marvel's new Blade series, as the first issue has been delayed since October. At least Ellis managed to get out that first issue.

Marvel's web-site has solicitations up to issue #5 for Karnak.