JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

It's the one where Spider goes down to the religious sector and rants about how shit religion is for 22 pages. More or less. Something of a polemic, but Ellis is a lot better at polemics than he is at measured debate, and he really gets to play to his strengths here.

I may be overrating this issue in my memory, but I remember absolutely loving it when I first read the Lust for Life trade, which was years ago now. I'll need to re-read Transmet at some point soon, either way...

Then i agree with your post ENTIRELY... (God Riding Shotgun gets even more bonus points with me, since it has the legendary stoey about the Nikola tesla church, and when his Filthy Assistant asks him what has he got against Tesla, Spider replies "That's between Nikola and me" :D)

i also loved the funny "What Spider Watches On TV" issue...

Best Transmet story is #25, Here to Go. Spider muses on the subject of death and Darick Robertson goes apeshit with the art, creating easily the best looking Transmet issue ever.

Other than that, any issue from the first 12, before Ellis discovered that he could just paste "man walks down street" into every panel description for four solid pages per issue.

I thought transmetro was a pretty damn good comic. Tho alittle too political for MY tastes, but loved it.

Guest spiderlegs

See, when Spider went after the president, it kicked into a higher gear. It got pretty unbelievable at times, but the intrigue was high. Before he took on the president--well, pretty much until Vita's assassination, the story was a series of episodes--all enjoyable--but you could sense that there was something more that needed to happen. Then the Smiler reveals himself to Jerusalem and the Beast is suddenly not so bad. It was concurrent with what was happening in the US politically. so I dug the timeliness aspect of it.

IMO, Transmet hit a good groove when Channon came back. The interaction between Channon and Yelena was always good and when they ganged up on Spider, there were some great moments. And those were funny breaks from the bigger political corruption and takedown story.

Sure, the series went a little flat from time to time, but it carried through nicely to the end, again, IMO.freak2.gif

While I enjoyed the beginnings of Transmet (I discovered it about the time "Lust for Life" came out as a trade), you could see that pretty much through the foglet story, the creators were still getting to know their characters, with Warren setting Spider at the over-the-top threshold that he needed to inhabit, and Darick by drawing Spider so that he looked consistent from frame to frame. In the earlier Transmets (not counting the wild mountain man look Spider threw down), sometimes Spider looked like a different person from one frame to the next frame (not THAT often). Darick said it was because they were working at a breakneck pace, which is why they brought in Rodney Ramos after the "Lust for Life" period to ink.

I don't think Transmet ever "jumped the shark." It went for an appropriate duration to reach its conclusion. I LOVE Transmetropolitan!icon_sj.gif

flipoff2.gif

transsmilie.gif

Ellis' 5 best? I'll do series, but not select issues

1.Planetary-Ellis' best work, ever! One of the best comics, ever!

2.Transmetropolitan-I don't think I've ever met anyone who hasn't enjoyed some of Transmet at some point.

3.Hellblazer-"Haunted" wins it over.

4.Ruins-I just love this series. It's so sick and twisted. "What if the Marvel Universe was real? Well, it wouldn't exist at all, dumb ass!" :lol:

5.Excalibur-One of the best runs on an X-book, ever!

Excalibur was the first Ellis comic I ever read and the first X-Men comic I ever purchased - there's some good stuff in there but it hasn't aged particularly well.

Still, Pete Wisdom was a fun character.

Ellis' 5 best? I'll do series, but not select issues

1.Planetary-Ellis' best work, ever! One of the best comics, ever!

2.Transmetropolitan-I don't think I've ever met anyone who hasn't enjoyed some of Transmet at some point.

3.Hellblazer-"Haunted" wins it over.

4.Ruins-I just love this series. It's so sick and twisted. "What if the Marvel Universe was real? Well, it wouldn't exist at all, dumb ass!" :lol:

5.Excalibur-One of the best runs on an X-book, ever!

boy, forgot al about Rins! i loved it, but was sad to see the change in the art team halfway down the 2nd book...

what was Excalibur about?

Guest spiderlegs

A little boy pulls a sword from a stone and becomes king and an old pedophile takes him under his wing.

Ho-Ho-Ho.

Excalibur was the European X-book, set on a small island just off the coast off Scotland and featuring various b-list X-Men led by Captain Britin - using the name Britanic for some reason. Ellis' run focused quite heavily on the relationship between Pete Wisdom (An Ellis character - you know the drill - sarky, chain-smoking dude all dressed in black) and Kitty Pryde.

Some quite good stories in there now that I scan the covers on MileHigh -

The Dream Nails trilogy in which Wisdom and Pryde storm a back-ops base used to hold a lethal group of aliens captive.

The (not then but now) obligatory the-team-goes-on-the-piss issue - a nice character piece this as the various Excalibur members let their hair down and get used to the idea of Pete shagging Kitty.

A grim (of course) tale set in the Tales Of Future Past reality.

Ellis' final tale involving the Hellfire Club trying to summon a big fuck-off demon into London.

[random]I damn right love Warren Ellis, i would have his bastard love childthing.

But you know what else?

fuck Warren Ellis, that whiney bitch motherfucker pisses me off, never does a UK apperance, fuck him...

in the ear. [/random]

I just realized, this thread name has confounded me. Granted, I haven't been on the comics scene nearly as long as most people here, but I've never heard Ellis referred to as "Wozza." Is there a story behind this?

i thought it was a nickname abbreviation of his name, kinda like Robert/Bob...

1. Transmetropolitan (if a gun were held to my head for my facorite, I'd pick either Filth of the City or Lust for Life, but having to select would make my head explode all by itself)

2. Planetary 1- 12

3. The Authority.

4. Stormwatch: Change or Die

5. I suspect this slot's going to be filled by Iron Man, god forbid, but the arc's not over so for now I'll have to go with the three issue Pryde & Wisdom.

Am I the only person here who loathed Ruins?!

Why did you hate it Selkie?

Personally, I grew up reading Marvel comics, and when I got into Image (talk about "god forbid"!) and Vertigo comics, I began to lose interest in Marvel comics. That was around the time I first read "Marvels". I absolutely loathed it! I had an aversion to Alex Ross art for a long time based on that comic, even. So, when I read "Ruins", it was just such genius to me!

I still think Ellis' setting of the Marvel Universe in the real world made a good story.

Recently, now that nostalgia of my childhood has set in, I re-read "Marvels" and absolutely adored it! I think I need to re-read "Ruins" now and see if it has the same impact, or if it was just the mind set I was in at the time.

Oh, and did the pair who did the artwork on uins do anything else? Because it was breathtaking, and i would LOVE to see some more...

Why did you hate it Selkie?

With the twin caveats that I read it only once, and that was a few years ago...

When I read Ruins, the first word that came to my mind was "juvenile." I thought it displayed all the subtlety of a child breaking another child's toy solely because he knew it was the other kid's favorite. The book didn't even try to grapple with a darkly realistic treatment of life in the Marvel universe - it was too relentlessly gross out for the sake of gross out. The sole point of the exercise appeared to be giving Ellis an excuse to piss on the MU solely out of contempt for the fans. I have ZERO love for shared universes, especially for the Marvel Universe, and the in-bred fan community that feeds off of it, but reading a book seemingly designed for no higher purposes than pissing off existing readers struck me as a colossal waste of good art, a good-when-he-wants-to-be writer, and my time. By all means, write a book about the dark side of superpowers and the horrors that would exist in a world that had them (is there a bigger fan of Sleeper than I?) but without character and setting development it becomes nothing more interesting than watching a kid wreck a sandcastle.

When I read Ruins, the first word that came to my mind was "juvenile." I thought it displayed all the subtlety of a child breaking another child's toy solely because he knew it was the other kid's favorite.

That's a dead-on accurate description of Ruins, which is probably why I quite enjoyed it - always fun to see familiar, well-loved characters put through the wringer.

Some preview pages from Ellis' JLA:C story - http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=32430 - doesn't look particularly interesting.

The cover seems to be going for the movie Baman look, which is understandable, but i really don't think i should be seeing 3 pages of Batman utting on his belt and tying his shoelaces in a JLA title... i think Warren's now doing the decompression thing nly to piss off the fans that'll buy these no mater what, but still complain... :D

yeah, though if i recall correctly, he'd even throw in some introspection there, no?