JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

To be fair, I think he was blaming the artist for late comics back when he was spending three years writing a drably anticlimactic corpse fart* of an ending for Planetary, wasn't he?

*(The term used by coroners and undertakers for foul smelling gas from decomposing intestines and contents thereof simulating flatulence in a dead person. Really a thing, honest.)

Definitely one of the best comics ever, until it started to be all about "The Four". Then, the book's quality really dropped off.

I sometimes wonder if the ending was deliberately cruddy.

"They want me to finish comic serials, do they? They expect me to finish what I've started? I shall show them! This is what happens when Warren Ellis is forced to finish a comic instead of abandoning it mid plot! That'll show them. And they'll STFU about Desolation Jones after reading this as well..."

From the solicitation for Injection #10, due to ship in May -

INJECTION will return with Volume 3 later in the year.

He's only gone and lost interest again, hasn't he ?

I'm not sure if this is Ellis' fault. Image usually has their books take a break in between story-arcs, and releases smaller collections.

Ales Kot's Wolf took a break after only four issues. The book is now back again. The first Wolf Trade only contained the first four issues.

Brian Wood's Starve just returned from an extended break after its first story-arc.

Granted, this may be too much temptation for Ellis, getting an extended leave from a series. He'll probably take the opportunity to release four new books in between, and then just forget about ever writing that one again.

I believe Image wants to release their books in either a.)story-arcs or b.)seasons in order to make sure that the creators get the books out on time. If you give the writer and artist a few months between every story-arc, it makes sure that they can finish the material before the dead-lines, and the book can ship monthly for that entire story-arc. That way Image doesn't have to worry about complaints about books running late.

Do Image do much besides packaging and printing stuff that's been put together at the editorial level by sub presses? If they're in the business of packaging material that'd otherwise be self published, I'd imagine that gives them quite a bit of leeway to insist that stuiff's finished before they get onto to Diamond to solicit it.

Well yeeah, but most people taking that approach do finish a whole tpb's worth of issues at a time. Wozza, not so much. :tongue:

Planetary, huh. Y'know I don't think I've ever bothered rereading that - the Asian Ghost Cop issue is fantastic.

Had a poke around for this last night, only have the first two trades. First volume collects the opening six issues, pretty good stuff - concludes with the introduction of The Four. Collection includes the covers, complete with livery, which is something they hopefully carried over to the rest of the trades. The allusions to Snow's abilities are real clumsy, indeed the hints about his history in general are delivered with a surprising lack of subtlety. Granted, there could be some hindsight talking there.

To be honest, I'll take a lack of subtlety over a complete lack of set up any day, myself.

Finished the second Planetary trade, holy shit [ Spoiler : Elijah Snow ] is the fourth man!!!

Might pick up 3 & 4 during lunch, haven't been to a comic shop in a little while. Think I'd stopped reading comics before the series actually wrapped.

haven't been to a comic shop in a little while. Think I'd stopped reading comics before the series actually wrapped.

Not a single word of this is acceptable behavior, John.

• Upvote 1