JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

Karnak is back, baby! Am I really that excited? No. I just wanted to pretend that this was still Planetary Warren Ellis we were talking about.

This is certainly Warren Ellis though, as half the pages in this second issue were wordless. Based on the earlier conversation, this issue ran so late due to the artist. I could see that, as I can't see Ellis taking so many months to finish one type written page of script. However, in those intervening months, couldn't he have filled in some of those blank pages with dialogue, just for fun?

I do like the art, but for a book where the artwork is so important to tell a clear story (it's not like sparse lines of dialogue every few pages is going to help you tell the story), the artwork doesn't do s good job for making a clear plot. The ending depending on the art to convey, but the artwork is far too murky to be able to figure out what the plot is meant to tell the reader.

So, yeah, after a pretty strong first issue of this book, this was a very frustrating read on a number of levels.

• Upvote 1

Based on the earlier conversation, this issue ran so late due to the artist. I could see that, as I can't see Ellis taking so many months to finish one type written page of script.

I can. It took him three years to write all that dialogue in the last issue of Planetary.

(That's why he likes to use wordless splash pages as much as he can...)

• Upvote 1

That was a double-sized issue and he included quite a bit of script in there. The poor guy must have been tired out. He wanted to rewrite it, so that the fans would have a good final issue for a book which started out so creative and imaginative, but he was far too exhausted, so he decided we'd have to settle with that. I don't blame him, typing is strenuous exercise.

Well quite. Forty pages of script over three years is way too much effort.

:laugh:

Karnak is back, baby! Am I really that excited? No. I just wanted to pretend that this was still Planetary Warren Ellis we were talking about.

LMAO you slay me bro

Read Ellis' first run of Stormwatch in lieu of not having any more Planetary to consume last night, man they still stand up as some good superhero comics. Jenny Sparks, Jack Hawksmoor and Rose Red all thrown out there in the first issue - can't be arguing with that and it all builds up to that cracking Change Or Die story!

• Upvote 1

I just got the whole traded collection of FreakAngels and enjoyed it a lot more held in my hands than when I read the web comic. It really was a nice little tale, innit?

Karnak #3-That was pretty awesome! It reminded me very much of his Dr. Druid. Just lots of weirdness. There was even a reference to Robert Fludd. Nice work.

A little ways into his first book, Crooked Little Vein.

It's a bit of a departure for Warren, featuring as it does a sick old man who smokes a lot teaming up with an attractive young woman with a quirky attitude and plenty of tattoos.

It's Bad World (remember that ?) with a slight plot wrapped around it, alright so far to be fair.

I didn't mind the book, but it becomes even more Ellis as it goes along, especially in his obsessive need to point out how knowledgeable he is about every outre sexual fetish floating around on the internet.

I have to admit that the ending left me a bit annoyed, as well.

At least it's a bit better than Gun Machine (or whatever his second one was called).

It's Bad World (remember that ?)

Nope

One of his early Avatar series, text pieces about weird stuff with illustrations by Jacen Burrows. Basically his newsletters in print form.

Now that I've looked it up I think I do have a few issues of that knocking about.

Nearly done with Crooked, far from a fantastic read but it's so very Ellis that I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

How Ellis? Not a word of a lie, here's a one-line quote from it -

"So this is about cell phones with cameras"

Isn't it always, Wozza, isn't it always ?

• Upvote 2

The first 7 issues of Warren's James Bond have been pretty damned good. Issue 7 is the first part of the second arc, and it bodes well for the remaining 5.

I have a pile of Gravel before me at the moment. I will put it on the side of the road later, I suppose. Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha!!!!

No. it's a great series though. Very much like a more action-oriented, badass version of John Constantine.

The issue with Thomas Carnacki, the Ghost Finder was a favourite.

I enjoy that Ellis incorporates actual British myth and the supernatural in to the stories.

I've been missing out all these years. Top of the line Ellis.

He tweeted about doing more Trees yesterday and a quick glance online suggests that they're currently up to #14 which is a definite record for our Woz in recent years.