JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

It can't stiff as badly as DC's last attempt to relaunch those characters, I suppose.

I have to go through my long boxes but I could have sworn Grant Morrison did an issue of grifter and or wild c.a.t.s. I may have dreamt it.

Back in 2006, Lou, yeah. It was part of the last relaunch, I think.

Oh, what could have been. Grifter doesn't really seem GM's style but, well, it's GM so I am sure it would have been great.

That was the WildCATs relaunch which lasted all of one issue by Grant Morrison. Plus, he was supposed to be writing Authority, and only got out two issues of that one.

Shipwreck #1 is pretty amazing.

It's quite surreal.

It reminded me a bit of Morrison, but also somewhat of Planetary.

I'm looking forward to this more than any recent Ellis I've read. Hopefully, he'll stick with this one.

I'm so fucking stoked for the Wildstorm relaunch, I was such a huge fan of that universe in the early 2000s. Everyone points to Authority and Planetary as the stand-outs (and rightly so, both were aces), but the best for me by far was Joe Casey's Wildcats. Bringing that sort of maturity back to the characters is what I'm hoping Ellis goes for.

Ellis wrote DV8 for a while as well and a couple of Gen 13 annuals, didn't he?

Yep. I don't remember if any of them were any good. They were the only DV8 and Gen13 comics I had ever read also, so whether that would effect my opinion or not, I cannot say. I just don't have any memories of the two.

"A tektite from the anti matter universe drilled through the study window and struck my PC! If I'd not been down the pub drinking, the radiation flash would have killed me deader than Jaco Pastorius*. You're lucky you'll be getting another issue, three months late, at all...."

*(hipster for "deader than disco")

The art for Hammerhead works better for me than the art for Warren's series, and so far (all of one issue in) Andy Diggle is doing a fine job on the script.

Hammerhead issue 2 has a few familiar Bond plot elements... not sure yet if that's a good thing or a bad thing. But Hammerhead and the main series are both good reads. The main series is probably headed for my year's-best list.

The first solicit for Warren's WildStorm reboot beginning in Feb is here:

TWS_01_Cover_FINAL.jpg

THE WILD STORM #1

Written by WARREN ELLIS • Art and cover by JON DAVIS-HUNT • Variant cover by TULA LOTAY • 1:50 variant by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS • 1:100 pencils-only variant by JIM LEE

Retailers: This issue will ship with four covers. Please see the order form for details.

A troubled woman, barred by her employer from continuing her research, walks miserably through New York City. It takes her a moment to notice that everybody else is looking up. A man has been thrown from the upper floor of the Halo skyscraper.

And that woman—Angela Spica, sick from the transhuman implants she’s buried in her own body—is the only person who can save him.

What she doesn’t know is that the act of saving that one man will tip over a vast and secret house of cards that encloses the entire world, if not the inner solar system. This is how the Wild Storm begins, and it may destroy covert power structures, secret space programs and even all of human history.

New York Times best-selling writer Warren Ellis (TRANSMETROPOLITAN, RED, THE AUTHORITY) returns to DC to curate Jim Lee’s WildStorm world, with this debut issue resetting the WildStorm universe with new iterations of Grifter, Voodoo, the Engineer, Jenny Sparks and others.

“I couldn’t be more excited to see these characters that are so near and dear to me reintroduced under the guiding hand of Warren Ellis. WildStorm represents an incredibly fun and exciting period in my career, and I can’t wait to see what Warren and Jon have in store for fans in February.”—Jim Lee, DC Comics Co-Publisher

Nice cover.

If that's Jackson King in the background, maybe that means that Ellis is going to correct the shitawful fuckup that was inflicted on that character in the Monarchy?

A troubled woman...walks miserably through New York City.

I wonder how many pages that will take.