JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

I didn't even bother with his Ultimate stuff.

Lost a good chunk of comics thanks to my cat forgetting where her litter box is so I was able to replace Fell and Global Frequency with trades. Let's hope they hold up after all this time. Pretty sure Fell does.

That was when Ellis was in major decompression mode.

He also had a two story-arc run on Ultimate Fantastic Four, which was abysmal. The first story-arc (introducing Ultimate Dr. Doom) might have been the worst story from the entirety of UFF. The second story-arc introduced the Ultimate Negative Zone, and was a bit better, but was still really sub-par and badly decompressed.

You know somebody isn't firing on all cylinders when the Mark Millar stuff makes their stories look shoddy...

• Upvote 1

You know somebody isn't firing on all cylinders when the Mark Millar stuff makes their stories look shoddy...

ouch. this bad?

I didn't even bother with his Ultimate stuff.

Lost a good chunk of comics thanks to my cat forgetting where her litter box is so I was able to replace Fell and Global Frequency with trades. Let's hope they hold up after all this time. Pretty sure Fell does.

i think global frequency will hold up for quite a while. it isn't timeless i think, as the pitch is too weak, but the execution was top notch.

ouch. this bad?

Probably. It isn't even like Millar's Ultimate FF issues were as good as Ultimate X Men or The Ultimates, come to that. (Mike Carey did raise the bar on that one a lot after it had been going a while, though...)

I thought MMs run on Ultimates was pretty solid but everything after that was poop.

Bounced right off Millar, fair play to him for being so successful with his own properties all the same.

Global Frequency was peak Ellis of that time, mobile phones as superhero device and sure why not ? Some of the art was great but it was all slight stuff, remember there being some good fight choreography in there.

Anyone remember the pilot for the TV show ? I can dimly recall it being alright.

Bounced right off Millar, fair play to him for being so successful with his own properties all the same.

Global Frequency was peak Ellis of that time, mobile phones as superhero device and sure why not ? Some of the art was great but it was all slight stuff, remember there being some good fight choreography in there.

Anyone remember the pilot for the TV show ? I can dimly recall it being alright.

For somebody who styles himself as an SF innovator, Ellis has always been a lot better in the stories where he exaggerates currently existing stuff to the stories where he makes new stuff up from scratch. The thing with the camgirl, the freelance mobster and the crime firm with bionic dicks came out at the same sort of time as Global Frequency, didn't it? That one was great fun as well.

Nope, one series with all of that amusing stuff in it. GGAG's got the title right as well, now I've checked. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Mark Millar didn't do much on UFF, really. I can only remember him writing the Ultimate Mad Thinker story-arc. Yeah, UFF is all based on the exceptionally good Mike Carey run.

I wasn't much of a fan of Millar's run on Ultimate X-Men either. It had its moments, and he was really good at the quiet, character moment issues between story-arcs, but often his writing on the book was just jarring. It was far too self-aware.

I felt Ultimate X-Men improved under Brian K. Vaughn.

Millar was good on Ultimates, and that was about it. Still, his track record on the Ultimate Universe imprint beats out Ellis' by quite a fair bit.

EDIT:Oh, that's right. Millar spent most of his UFF run incorporating the Marvel Zombie-verse, by having the zombified FF as the Ultimate Frightful Four.

I thought Millar wrote the initial set up storyline?

Dog, didn't Brian Bendis write the first story-arc, with Ultimate Mole Man? It was one of the worst story-arcs too, and balanced against the first Ellis story.

I'm pretty sure it was Bendis, since he had a hall-mark of redoing superhero origin stories by starting at the birth of the character and then slowly working the way up to the actual point where the character becomes a hero, and that's how UFF started, with Reed being born.

Then, Millar took over as the third writer, after Ellis' run, and before Mike Carey.

Got you. I'm confusing Bendis' shoddy with Millar's shoddy, then. I was obviously misdirected by his early run on Ultimate Spiderman being pretty great...

Bendis Prime was a hell of a writer - Fire and Jinx into Powers and then both Daredevil and Alias, think it all started going a bit arseways* around the time he started on Avengers.

*Helping reboot a dead franchise to the point where it spawned a hugely successful cinematic universe might not meet the definition of arseways mind!

He stayed on Daredevil way too long. He was still in his prime when he started on DD, but as his run progressed, it got to be a real chore to read. His Ultimate Spider Man was fun, for about the first 75 issues or so. Very well worth a read.

Yeah, he's still a hugely popular writer who has many fans willing to spend money on his books. It doesn't mean that he's written anything of quality for years though.

Two major problems with Bendis are the fact that a.)he keeps trying to write team books, when he has a horrible time juggling different character-arcs, and b.)he's been over-exposed. His writing style stays consistent on any books he is writing. He has that same conversational style on any title he is writing. It was fresh when he was just breaking in with comics, but after all these years, and over-staying his welcome on most titles he works on, it's obvious that his reach doesn't extend very far.

Are

you

saying

that

he

has

little

else

left

to

draw

on

besides

tiresome

and

affected

lettering

using

loads

more

speech

balloons

than

he

needs

to?

Ellis' Castlevania thing is up on Netflix, only the four twenty minute episodes - been renewed for an eight episode second season.

It's not bad, animation isn't great but it's very Ellis in places.

• Upvote 1

It's not bad, animation isn't great but it's very Ellis in places.

Simon and Dracula chat about their perversions for a bit before fighting?