JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

yeah... wasn't he thinking something about what he's become, or somesuch nonsense?

*Iron Man flying around in his suit* "Who was the Bad guy from tron?.. God this is going to be bugging me all day."

Guest spiderlegs
The cover seems to be going for the movie Baman look, which is understandable, but i really don't think i should be seeing 3 pages of Batman utting on his belt and tying his shoelaces in a JLA title... i think Warren's now doing the decompression thing nly to piss off the fans that'll buy these no mater what, but still complain... :D

Then you should go to the comic shop, pick up one of his stories, read it, and put it back where you got it. That'll show him... :tongue:

nah, i prefer to download them of the interweb, read them, and then shift-delete them afterwards... ;)

So I met Ellis today at the comic con. Ego or not, this man is awesome.

My friend and I sat in on his Q&A, which was one of the funniest things I've ever heard in my life. I asked him a question about his JLA: Classified arc as well. Later, I was able to get my Hellblazer: Haunted TPB and Transmetropolitan: Back on the Sreets signed (yes, I picked up Transmet at the convention, I'm a signature whore). Great, funny guy. Nice too.

Paradise Comics' Comic Convention or something of the like. It was in Toronto. It's taking place tomorrow as well. Some pretty big names there:

Warren Ellis

Brian Michael Bendis

Phil Jimenez

Adi Granov

David Mack

J. Michael Strazynski

Bill Senkiewicz

Jerry Robinson

Darwyn Cooke

Good stuff - I've got a lot of time for writers/artists who are actually willing to give proper attention to their fans at cons, signings et al.

Apparently the next issue of Ultimate Wotsits has been pushed back to September (the last issue having come out a week or two ago).

Neither the artist nor the writers fault according to those who know such things, which makes you wonder what the crack is then.

Adi Granov

While your there, Ask him why it takes forever to get a single issue done. Because the delay between issues is just stupid, Not to mention the fact that Iron Man was a RELAUNCH.

Sorry mate, I already went. I think he's just a slow worker. Took him about 15 minutes for him to give my friend a quick sketch of Iron Man (which kicked arse, by the by). Nice guy though.

Slow worker.. He's about as Quick as Joe Mad. Be ready for the next the issue to come in 10 years.

Nope, Not bitter. Just annoyed with the time it takes the guy to get his stuff finished.

To my understanding all remaining issues are being solicited to account for the production schedule. I was never meant to do a monthly book, this was a very special case and a whole set of circumstances brought both Warren and I to this project. Warren has stated that he agreed to it in order to work with me, and I jumped at the opportunity to work with him. But as fate would have it the whole thing happened at the time when the whole Avengers relaunch was set in stone. Both Marvel and I had unresonable hopes of me being able to paint 4 pages per week, and that was just never going to happen.

All delays are due to my art. I am not slow from the production standpoint but the fact is that I lay out, draw, paint and color everything in this book, I don’t even use flats assistance like most colorists do. A standard comic book page takes, on average, 3 days to do only spread across the whole team, in my case I am the team.

And, please, don’t get me wrong, I am not taking the scheduling and the fan complaints for granted. Far from it. But as it stands I have only two very simple choices: try to meet a faster schedule and do a rushed, poor job and ruin the book, or continue to give it my best and finish the book to the standards we had already set.

We’re on it for 6 issues and after that I am sure it will all be back on track. But hopefully some of the readers will be happy to have read something out of the ordinary even if it didn’t come out every month.

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/showthread.php?t=9622

Oh well...I'm patient...there are other comics to read until then. And if taking this long is what makes it look that good then I'll wait.

To my understanding all remaining issues are being solicited to account for the production schedule. I was never meant to do a monthly book, this was a very special case and a whole set of circumstances brought both Warren and I to this project. Warren has stated that he agreed to it in order to work with me, and I jumped at the opportunity to work with him. But as fate would have it the whole thing happened at the time when the whole Avengers relaunch was set in stone. Both Marvel and I had unresonable hopes of me being able to paint 4 pages per week, and that was just never going to happen.

All delays are due to my art. I am not slow from the production standpoint but the fact is that I lay out, draw, paint and color everything in this book, I don’t even use flats assistance like most colorists do. A standard comic book page takes, on average, 3 days to do only spread across the whole team, in my case I am the team.

And, please, don’t get me wrong, I am not taking the scheduling and the fan complaints for granted. Far from it. But as it stands I have only two very simple choices: try to meet a faster schedule and do a rushed, poor job and ruin the book, or continue to give it my best and finish the book to the standards we had already set.

We’re on it for 6 issues and after that I am sure it will all be back on track. But hopefully some of the readers will be happy to have read something out of the ordinary even if it didn’t come out every month.

I am. Each book is so memorable that I have no trouble remembering what happened in the last one when I pick up the current one. I'm happy that Granov has made the choice to put up with the criticisms and the pressure in order to do as good a job as he's doing. There's got to be room for a book this good, even if it doesn't come out every month.

I think the tbp is going to be popular. I only wish the series would keep going after those first six issues with Ellis and Granov on it.

Preview pages for Desolation Jones #1 are up on Buzzscope now.

Have to admit, I'm considerably more impressed by the art than the writing - two pages of Ellis' customary (and, it must be said, getting-a-bit-tired-now) Spider Jerusalem-lite drunken-wastrel hero schtick, followed by a bit of clunking look-at-the-interesting-things-I've-been-reading-about-lately referential dialogue, rendered very impressively by Williams (who, as in the 7 Soldiers bookend issue, manages to convincingly render his work in three completely different styles over the course of as many pages. Versatile ain't the word). But I'm probably being far too harsh - it's only the first 4 pages, after all. It's got my curiosity piqued enough that I'll almost certainly pick this up, anyway.

Preview pages for Desolation Jones #1 are up on Buzzscope now.

rendered very impressively by Williams (who, as in the 7 Soldiers bookend issue, manages to convincingly render his work in three completely different styles over the course of as many pages. Versatile ain't the word).

I was impressed the most in the Seven Soldiers thing with him being able to produce an almost exact copy of Moebius/Jean Giraud's style on Blueberry.

Guest spiderlegs
Don't think you're being overly harsh at all - have high hopes for this but those opening pages don't inspire confidence.

Well...you know...conventions ARE very important. If they delay his completion of a particular story arc, or lessen the quality of it, well then, consider the greater good of the con!

Ellis has actually been given something of a boost lately, what with Granov copping a public 'mea culpa' on the lateness of Iron Man and Bendis claiming that the Ultimate Secret delays are all his fault.

Doesn't excuse shoddy, lazy writing like the stuff in this preview, though. "I've been reading about Supermodernism..." indeed.

Guest spiderlegs

Whoops, he is now one of my "MySpace" friends. You bastards don't talk bad about my new friend! :angry: