JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

Well he has churned out twenty four issues of The Wildstorm in a row, so the poor lad's probably obviously completely shagged out...

Ripped through Strange Kisses and the sequel Stranger Kisses. It's good stuff but I read through it all in about a minute. It feels as though this would read better in a monthly format, which they did later on, and we will get through that too. Gravel is an interesting character with a lot of potential. 

Yeah, I really like the Gravel monthly series. That was a really good Warren Ellis comic. It takes the potential shown by the initial series, and really runs with it. I definitely recommend Gravel.

Wasn't the monthly series co-written with the artist ?  Kind of got the impression that Ellis was quite hands off on it. 

Avatar are rubbish and so it's not possible for me to buy the original minis digitally.

It is credited as written by Warren Ellis and Mike Wolfer. I thought it read very much like Ellis. I enjoyed the elements of British mythology he included, and I absolutely loved the issue where Carnacki showed up.

Strange Killings was fun: a magician takes over a prison and orchestrates a riot. Gravel intervenes. Pretty typical Wozz, lots of action scenes, gross bits, tough talk and a quick wrap up

Well that's the Gravel monthly finished. Only 21 issues, I wonder if it did not sell well so they just wrapped it up.

Just finished "Scars", a pretty generic cop drama where Wozza gets to be real edgy

Followed that up with Dark Blue, which was pretty fun but real short

Half way through Supergods now. This is a really cool story, although the center seems to move a little fast (introducing a bit much characters in a bit little time) and Wozz gets to ramble on about pseudoscience babble.  

No, I think Lou's reading Supergod, which was an Ellis miniseries from about ten years back about a superhero arms race.

SuperGod definitely felt like one of 'those' Ellis projects, where he mentions some interesting fact in a newsletter that then shows up spread across 5 pages of a comic twelve months later.

Yeah, Dog is correct, my bad. (Although I really did like Super Gods)

Dude, I'll have to post some of the zany science phrases he's using here, classic Wozza

There's Ignition City in the books. A bit of a whodunnit set in a mid 50s world where space travel and exploration have been the staple for quite some time. Ignition City is one of the few remaining space ports left and is a total dump where yesterday's space heroes have gone to rot. Much like many of Wozza's arcs this one starts off nicely, spikes, and then abruptly ends without really telling of the consequences of the final actions. All in all, a pretty good read

Going through Wozza's Apparat singles stuff for Avatar. Simon Spector and Frank Ironwine were great, and I'd love to see more of those. Angel Stomp Future was, well, painful. Although I suppose much of it was tongue in cheek and Juan Jose Ryp's art is always a treat, especially in black and white. But this was a lot of Wozza pseudo tech babble and I could not wait for it to be over. Frankenstein's Womb was quite good as well. I have now to read Crecy, which I recall enjoying, and Aetheric Mechanics, which I do not think I ever read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Ellis_bibliography#Apparat

https://warrenellis.ltd/work/work-faq-march-2020/

Warren posted a blog with some updates on his comics work:

-Injection remains on indefinite hiatus due to Declan Shalvey's workload.
-Trees has ended
-The Batman's Grave is just taking a skip month and will presumably finish on schedule. Great for the people who are reading and enjoying it, I suppose!
-Wildcats is now officially cancelled due to artist troubles. Nothing on the general future of his Wildstorm reboot, but I presume it is bleak..

apparat: Cercy. This was a fun read, quite humorous. And Raulo Caceres' art is amazing. I am a sucker for good old fashioned pencils and inks, and the level of detail is amazing.

Enjoying your trip down memory lane, Lou!

Never really got into Trees but I kept buying the digital trades anyway - it's a bummer that Injection is semi-dead though.

• Like 1

Trees did not quite grab me either. Injection was awesome though, so that's a bummer. The characters were so cool! 

Half way through Aetheric Mechanics, and it is quite good. Imagine a steam punk Watson and Holmes story set in 1907 with air ships and at least one giant robot.

Aetheric Mechanics was a good read. Had a damn fine ending. My usual knock on Wozza is that he sets up a good tale but shuts it down rather abruptly but this one really clicked

Well now I'll have to give that a gander and you're not wrong, he does love a good sudden "And then everything went to shit.  The End."

• Like 1