JohnMcMahon

Fuckbiscuitshitangels (Warren Ellis)

From Bad Signal, Ellis on the upcoming Jack Cross -

"JACK CROSS #1 was solicited by DC yesterday. I wrote most of the first year's scripts back in 2003, so I'm kind of hazy on the whole thing now. It's creator-owned, but it's not a "mature readers" book. Think of it as PG. I wanted to write an action-thriller series that wasn't, like most airport novels in the genre, creepily right-wing. It is, instead, creepily LEFT-wing. Because, you know, lefties can shoot and torture people too. Set in America, and about Americans, JACK CROSS plays with the notion that "liberals" are cuddly recycling owl-fanciers. The first three stories -- they're all four-issue arcs, play with three of the usual thriller genres -- the spy/counter-terrorism story, the police procedural and the bodyguard story. And the guy who calls himself Jack Cross, a self-mutilating emotional cripple whose mother once tried to assassinate Ronald Reagan, is in the middle of all of them -- working for The Man to guarantee his anonymity, using government blood money to finance political activism.

I've tried some different stuff with the action scenes, including a tool I lifted from Hong Kong cinema and tried to fit into GLOBAL FREQUENCY (but the artist didn't go for it) -- the x-ray shot. Gary Erskine, the JACK CROSS artist, will try anything, thankfully.

It's being sold as a DC Universe book, but there are no visible ties to the DCU, it just happens to be coming out of a DCU office.

It has the Explodo and the gun torture. What more could a child want?"

4 page preview - http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=4095

Cool. Part of me is looking forward to this and another part is wondering how long it will take before I actually see a few issues.

Ditto. No more Ellis for me until there's a bunch on the shelves that I can pick up at once, or a trade . . . I'm not a patient feller. :)

I saw JLU "Dark Heart" yesterday.

It was ace.

If Ellis wrote all those DCU characters into it he's a way bigger cape-geek than he likes to let on, though.

I mean, Vibe for christsake. I thought I was the only person in the world (that isn't Gerry Conway) with a fondness for that guy.

Warren Ellis in "not necessarily quite the same sort of person as he pretends to be in his online rants" shock!

Haven't seen the episode myself yet, but I really ought to download it (the series actually runs here on Norwegian TV, but it's dubbed, and my grasp of Norwegian isn't that good yet), 'cos what I've seen of it has been ace.

You see, because Captain Atom was one of the fleeting cameos I did wonder what you meant, since he appeared but didn't say anything but then I realised that you meant "The Atom" and that I need to get out more.

Of course, there's been more than one Atom in DC history.

Captain Atom was originally from the Charlton (right?) comics group which DC bought the rights to when they went out of business. Capt. Atom is actually radioactive, whereas the Ray Palmer Atom just has shrinking powers.

FELL #1 - GEM OF THE MONTH

written by WARREN ELLIS

art & cover by BEN TEMPLESMITH

Detective Richard Fell is transferred over the bridge from the big city to Snowtown, a feral district whose police roster numbers three-and-a-half people (one detective has no legs). Dumped in this collapsing urban trashzone, Richard Fell is starting all over again. In a place where nothing seems to make any sense, Fell clings to the one thing he knows to be true: Everybody's hiding something. Even him.

FELL is a new series by WARREN ELLIS (TRANSMETROPOLITAN, PLANETARY) and BEN TEMPLESMITH (30 DAYS OF NIGHT), about murder, love, strangeness - and what people hide.

TAGLINE: Everybody's hiding something.

Who says Warren Ellis has turned into an increasingly embarrassing parody of his old self?

Oh yeah. Me.

From the latest Bad Signal e-mail:

ANIMAL was something I mentioned

as an example of a high-concept

thing: the nut being that the most

disgusting, violent and chaotic cop

on a metropolitan police force, the

one they nickname Animal, is

actually a young woman.  Imagine

the opening sequence "shot" in the

style of the video for the Prodigy's

SMACK MY BITCH UP, the reveal

being that the cop who's flushing

people's heads down toilets,

pistol-whipping pensioners and

rubbing crack rocks in dealers' eyes

is actually a rather petite young

woman.

It didn't go anywhere from the

high concept, though, as I said.  But

last night I was reading a description

of film producer Julia Phillips --

"her language was just Satanic in

its profanity."

And that might be the hook into

developing the thing.  Someone who

just blasts apart and steamrolls

people with her language, someone

who appears to be genuinely,

scarily unhinged  -- just a torrent

of the most hideous abuse coming

out of the mouth of this (relative

to her surroundings) tiny little

girl.

Who then goes home to an apartment

that's all pink, and goes to sleep with

a big old teddy bear.

Imagine someone who takes

Spider Jerusalem's angriest dialogue

and cranks it up to eleven.

A short little book about the kind of

cop that'd give Vic Mackie

nightmares.  That'd be fun to write.

I refer you to any and all earlier comments I may have made about the man's propensity for recycling the same ideas and characters time, and time, and time, and time again...

Fell, on the other hand, might be quite good. I have a lot of fondness for Templesmith's art. The cover to Desolation Jones #3 is typically good work from JH Williams, too...

19795726_fcbcf35519.jpg

No one in their right mind would even begin to consider "Planetary" as a monthly comic! And, on the schedule it's currently on, it should finish in the year 2025, just after "Iron Man" and right before that "Ultimate Nonsense" trilogy.

Ellis is supposed to have a new title at Marvel soon and he's talking about launching a bunch of new titles through DC. I have no idea how he's going to write all of them, considering how far behind he is on every other project he's involved with.

Some of Ellis' upcoming DC work (his JLA: Classified arc for certain, and possibly some other stuff) was written back in 2003, so shouldn't be subject to the colossal delays which seem to have characterised his recent Marvel projects. Of course, most of those delays have apparently been down to the artists, not Ellis, so there are no guarantees...

Templesmith's description of Fell makes it sound considerably more appealing than a ot of Ellis' more recent writing - the idea of self-contained, ultra-compressed stories works for me, and would be a nice change from too much of his work over the last few years. I'm just waiting for someone to compare the central character to Spider Jerusalem, though - and will he have a feisty/sexy female assistant to whom he'll talk at tedious length about recent scientific discoveries, while chain-smoking and cynically thumbing his nose at authority? Time will tell...

yeah but jones is Bi-monthly and are you counting Planetary in that, which is about to end.

Nah, the third one I'm thinking of is Jack Cross - which Ellis describes as 24 but with a lefty slant. I'd forgotten about his upcoming Marvel yoke but given his tendency to overindulge on decompression (even for him) on such projects, I don't hold out much hope for it.

Warren Ellis talks Fell

fell01.jpg