Sign in to follow this  
Guest spiderlegs

DrrrrrrrrrrrOP!

Guest spiderlegs

So, you've been reading your little collection of comic titles for a while, and one of them has changed direction, creative teams, whatever. All of a sudden, one of your reliable titles which you have pulled or that you pick up each monthly Wednesday it's released--why, it has started to suck! So, you give it a couple more issues...but it's worse! You don't even know who these characters are--worse, what they are doing seems insipid like they threw some junior high creative level scenarios into a hat and picked until they got the worst one--I mean, the book has tanked stanky fookin' ASSSSSS...

Which book is it? What are you ready to give up or have recently given up? Why? Is your loyalty so fairweather? What makes you so cool, anyway? Just who do you thi--I mean, what's on your drop list? What has finally forced your hand and will receive none more of your precious lapdance dance tip dollars?

TYPE!

Mine are WARLORD and EXTERMINATORS is on its make it or break it issue next month.

Which book is it? What are you ready to give up...?

Right now, Grant Morrison's Batman is hovering right on the edge (the next issue is the last one before a 2-month fill-in story which I won't be buying, and it'll have to be very good to bring me back again after the gap), and The Walking Dead is going to have to get great again within the next six issues or so to avoid the same fate. It's far from awful right now, but it's not bringing the awesome like it was for the first two years or so, and I'm simply not that interested in the direction of the plot as it currently stands. Like you, though, I suspect he's building towards something specific, and if that ends up heading in a direction I'm more interested in than the current material, I'll be happy to stick with the book.

You know....I was just thinking yesterday that I'm not really enjoying a lot of the book I buy each month. But, I'd rather not give them up.

I kept buying Uncanny X-Men through Chuck Austen and then Chris Claremont. Granted, Uncanny X-Men is a book I collect. I've been buying it since the early-80s, and own every issue except #1, so I figure I should keep my collection intact.

I kept reading Eternals hoping it would actually be enjoyable at some point, but no, it's just boring.

I was buying LOTDK every month long past its sale-by date, as it was the only Batman book I could actually stand to buy after the Ed Brubaker run and before the Morrison/Dini run.

I'm still buying Dini's Detective, even though I only find it good, nothing great. I mean, how much can you expect from a comic? Just a good, quick read or should you expect more?

I was buying Spawn until issue #101. I finally got too sick of it to read it after #100. I hated the book long before that though, and just kept buying it.

A lot of books I buy every month out of habit and hoping that they'll get better. Comics go by story-arcs, so if one story-arc lets you down, who's to say the next won't blow you away?

Granted, some writers just plain suck and are unreadable and you know you're never going to see anything better.

I dropped Vertigo's new Deadman series after issue #2. It's just a mess. There are titles that I just can't get into and drop them, but I'm pretty loyal to a lot of my comics.

Guest spiderlegs

Mark--Yeah, I agree about WD, though I'll give it a while longer because we're right about the plot direction.

I read the first few issues of Ellis's Iron man. Wasn't that great and the fact the artist was lazier then Jim Lee didn't help either. I might Drop Wildcats. MIGHT, tho with it being hella delayed, I don't have to worry about it hurting my wallet. :lol:

I am considering dropping JLA: Classified and possibly Black Panther.

I was buying Spawn until issue #101. I finally got too sick of it to read it after #100. I hated the book long before that though, and just kept buying it.

How bout passing some of them issue up for a fellow Spawn fan, mate? :laugh:

I haven't given up on the Spawn series, especially with feeling that the new creative after 150 has been really really good and I'm really enjoying Hine and Tan's current run.

daredevil for me is now officially on the chopping block(and batman has already been put down)i haven't bought the last two or three issues,but that's nothing new as i tend to only hit a shop maybe ten times a year and then i usually enjoy grabbing say a handfull of issues of whatever monthly i may have fallen behind on.this time however i may not bother.

i really miss bendis and maleev.i know it's not the common opinion around these parts but i loved it right up until the last page of there last issue.i was really excited about the new team,but the ring just doesn't fit.

in the last year or two most of the books i buy on a monthly basis have been dropped.

losers(series ended)

wolverine(millar left)

trigger(cancelled)

and soon ultimates 2(1 issue left and fuck volume 3)

i'm still on 100 bullets and hb and have hopes for authority,midnighter and maybe even wildcats.

I've dropped a lot of titles in favor of trades.

The books I still get in monthly format are:

Desolation Jones (Ellis on cruise control; always great art)

Criminal (limited series featuring one of my favorite creative teams)

Astonishing X-Men (always have room for an X-Men book)

Doc Frankenstein (loves me some intelligent Frank kickin' ass)

Fell (stand alone stories make it worthwhile)

Planetary (only one issue to go)

Hatter M (limited series)

All-Star Superman (another favorite creative team of mine, plus the book is so damn fun)

Titles that I've dropped:

Black Gas (borderline)

Walking Dead (written for the trade)

Invincible (ditto)

Batman (Morrison brings his B-game)

Hellblazer (a mess right now)

Wormwood Gentleman Corpse (can wait for the trade on this one)

Dead Men Tell No Tales (ditto)

Red Sea (not worth any of my time at all)

Ultimates (delays and Millar misfires)

Y: The Last Man (underwhelming, reads better in trade, lame explanations of late)

And that's just within the last few months.... I'm sure there are more titles I've dropped.

I haven't dropped anything lately - oh! The Boys, that one's on the block.

In the past I've dropped Ultimate Spiderman and X Men, the Losers, sold off Morrison's X Men

I don't blame you for dropping Ultimate Spider-Man. I never got the hype. And I thought the art was horrible.

Thank you. IMHO, Mark Bagley is one of the most overrated artists in comics. If not for the beautiful colouring covering his mistakes, it'd be even clearer that he needs to study the basics.

I dropped Green Lantern after the bring Hal back mini, i just didn't like the exectution of that mini series enough to buy the monthly

I stuck with Swamp Thing to the bitter end and felt like it actually got better just before the axe fell.

I really dont' buy that many books anymore, so what i get i enjoy, i guess.

Guest spiderlegs

Even if I don't enjoy HELLBLAZER, I still buy it. It's the first comic I ever started reading on a monthly basis (well, I started reading PREACHER about the same time, but in both instances, I read the first few trades and all there was left was the single issues--though obviously, there's a ton of Delano's run I haven't read that I'm seeking).

I was a Marvelite when i started reading comics, and i buy a grand total of One comic from that company now, Daredevil, which i know some of you are down on, but i'm still enjoying.

i hear what you're saying dave,it's not a bad book by any stretch.i just feel like bendis's run was so amazing and brubaker's initial arc had so much potential that it was all wasted and rushed to a half assed finish.i gotta admit the reason i'm not cutting it just yet is due mostly to my having read it for so many years and having high hopes for an upswing in quality.

it's not a bad book at all,but i truly think it would more than likely be just as good were you or me or mick or testosterohne or any other fan here to write it given the set up(meaning murdock in prison,soon followed by kingpin,bullseye and punisher)bendis handed off the book with.

i more than likely wont be dropping the title merely because there are so few comics left that i buy anyway,i've become a full on graphic novel whore purely out of my comic money burning a hole in my pocket.

I can understand why a fan of Bendis' Daredevil (which I liked, but grew weary of before the end. It seemed to lose a lot of energy and focus at almost exactly the point when Bendis suddenly began writing two-thirds of Marvel's entire output - possibly non-coincidentally, this was the same point that Powers began to suck noodles, and not far from the time when Alias became the vastly-inferior The Pulse), but this;

it's not a bad book at all,but i truly think it would more than likely be just as good were you or me or mick or testosterohne or any other fan here to write it given the set up(meaning murdock in prison,soon followed by kingpin,bullseye and punisher)bendis handed off the book with.

is a very, very silly thing to say, and quite clearly untrue. Brubaker's Daredevil is far from the best thing he's ever written (I'm still enjoying it, but not as much as I was at first), but it's not close to bad enough to warrant that sort of hyperbole. As to the "Bendis handed him everything on a plate" implication...it's not exactly obscure knowledge that Brubaker and Bendis collaborated to ensure that Bendis' run ended with everything in place for Brubaker's prison-bound opening arc, as it was something he was planning anyway, and didn't want to have to spend his first few issues providing laboured set-up for.

I don't blame you for dropping Ultimate Spider-Man. I never got the hype. And I thought the art was horrible.

Ultimate spider-man is on an all time high for me at the moment its really picked up, im shocked because i saw the solicit for the clone saga and just about threw up.

I dropped quite a few latly and i think Ultimate X-men is going, deciding on X-men at moment its just without Gambit it dosn't have the same affect on me, i know its stupid but i really love gambit.

Im basically trying to take my comic collection a certain wayto get a good mix, but i dont, im now reading batman so score one for DC, It may lead me to the Justice league but supermans there and he does make me want to throw up (sorry).

yeah mark i'm a bit harsh on brubakers dd(much the same way alot of our fellow board members are in my opinion way too hard on the end of bendis's run)i've never read powers or pulse or anything else bendis has ever done for marvel so i can't comment on that but i truly adored him and maleev's run and think it wrapped up perfectly.i love the idea of matt murdock in prison,it's exciting and frightening,regardless of who's idea it was.however i truly believe that any fan,meaning any reader well versed in dd history,or even just someone with a vague enough knowledge of the character coupled with a complete read through of the bendis/maleev run could turn in something just as good as devil in cell block d.

there was so much potential and minus the first issue(which was up there with bendis's stuff)it simply didn't happen on the page.the secret life of foggy nelson had it's moments but i believe the title is in mid shark jump.i would honestly role the dice on most any other "writer"taking over.cell block d is such a disapointment,great plot(whomevers)simply wasted.i was not aware of how involved the two were in handing the title from one to the other but there collaborating on any aspect of it at all disapoints me even more.

p.s.mick it's not stupid to love gambit,i adore chamber.there are way too many shitty x-writers who have ruined most of whatever potential alot of the last fifteen to twenty years worth of new mutant characters may have had.

I didn't read USM till after the 7th trade. I do agree that the Venom arc was trash. The Hog Goblin arc was also a major let down. The covers lied. The Carnage Arc was also rather dumb. USM didn't start getting good till a little later on.

i truly believe that any fan,meaning any reader well versed in dd history,or even just someone with a vague enough knowledge of the character coupled with a complete read through of the bendis/maleev run could turn in something just as good as devil in cell block d.

And I truly believe that you haven't read enough fanfic (produced, in many cases, by people with genuinely terrifyingly-detailed knowledge of characters, continuity and context) if you actually think that's true. The basic plot may not be to your tastes, but the actual writing - pacing, dialogue, in particular - is, at a bare minimum, professionally competent. That immediately places it above the sort of level you're describing. Even, say, the current run of Hawkgirl (which is easily the worst comic I've read in the last 6 months - I'd heard it was awful, and downloaded a couple of issues to see how bad it could possibly be. Turns out, it was worse) is above the level of cack-handed amateurism syggested by your "any reader...could turn in something just as good" comment. Well, almost.

Bendis's Daredevil was great up until after King Of hells Kitchen and Hardcore. Right after that, the series started going down hill for a bit. The old Mobster coming back to reclaim his role sucked, and so did that whole arc about the support group and the demon. That was just trite and wasn't what a book like DD should be about.

The final Bendis arc was alittle bit better. Brubakers first run was actually great stuff. The 2nd arc is turning out to be pretty entertaining and actually a fun ride. I'm actually looking forward to each issue. Brubaker is one of those writers that does his best work when dealing with gritty street level stories. I am also going to look forward to His Iron Fist series this month too.

I just don't get the same feel for Brubaker's DD as I got when Bendis took over the book.

DD was so dead by that point, and Bendis came along and made it live again, and then Bendis got wore out and DD was become a chore to read.

Now Brubaker has come aboard and he's fresh, but I don't feel DD is. I feel Brubaker is playing too safe with DD. There's no new life, just an apathetic form of life....

The book is a very good read. Every month I buy the book, read it, enjoy it, put it away.

Then I go to the comic store and see a new issue of DD saved in my bag at the store, and I wonder, "Why am I still buying this book? I never even think about it between issues."

I get home and repeat the process. It's always a good read, but nothing is ever memorable about it. DD has grown stale again.

And, no. A fan is not going to write DD as good as Brubaker. Brubaker is a very good writer. His work at Marvel has been average to disappointing, but he still has writing skills that most people just do not have.

DD is Brubaker's best book from Marvel though.

Just because a fan knows more about continuity then some writers. That doesn't mean they know how to structure a story, pacing, get it done on time and not to mention do characters interacting good.

I dont want a fan boy writing my comics. Comics should be written by writers who understand HOW those characters work.

Continuity isn't really a problem with me. If the story is really good and keeps me guessing, I can pretty put up with a few bad moments here and there.