Sign in to follow this  
Guest spiderlegs

DrrrrrrrrrrrOP!

you folks are making some great points and i'm obviously not going to win this debate,but let me just clarify:

i meant a fan with half a brain,not some foolish stereotype,shitty fan fiction writing,cranking one out to jennifer garner sai twirling idiot with the dd bedsheets and underoos.

i guess my point was that i believe brubaker had a great start and dropped the ball.he will never get enough credit for all the bat books he's done and for how he helped re-energize the authority,but in regards to daredevil he is my own personnal brett ratner.all kidding aside all the things you guys bring up in regards to structure or talent are for me simply not on display in this specific title.

brubaker is a true talent,on daredevil he has feet of clay.

Brubaker on D.D. can't compare to Brubaker on Batman.

Brubaker's run on Batman was the first time I've enjoyed a core-Bat-book since Marv Wolfman's run on Batman from back in the mid-1980s, and was the last time I was interested in reading a Bat-book until the Morrison/Dini runs started. And so far, I like Brubaker's work on Batman far better than either Morrison or Dini.

So, yeah, I agree that Brubaker isn't doing his best work on D.D., but he's still a damn good writer and that shows even if his D.D. run seems like it will be average.

I'm not sure why the talent he showed on Batman isn't translating to D.D., as the two characters are very similar plot-wise.

I'v heard his stuff was good. I also enjoyed Devin Grayson's run on Gotham Knights, that wasx very good. Her Nightwing was so-so at first and then it just trailed off. My favorite Nightwing writer so far has been Chuck Dixon. I have the Marv Wolfman issue, but havent gotten around to reading my comics yet.

Paul Dini's Detective issues have been great. I love how he is actually showing WHY Batman is called the Worlds Greatest Detective and is also showing Bruce Wayne. Morrisons run has been decent but nothing jaw dropping.

This is a great idea for a thread! :D

I'm not getting very many titles now, and the ones I want I'm fairly set on. But there are exceptions.

The Battlestar Galactica TV show is good enough that it makes the less well-written BG comic look poor. I'll probably drop it unless they make some quick changes in it. However, I'm interested in getting a look at the BG Classic title when it comes out.

I dropped Ultimate Spiderman a little while ago, but later than most here. It was when the book got into no-name, generic villains that I got bored with it. I dipped back into an issue with Gwen Stacy on the cover, but she was a weird clone or something, so that was my last issue.

I dropped Hulk during Peter David's abortive run, and Daniel Way's. I got back into it when Greg Pak took it on. I like the Hulk character but have never had trouble leaving the title behind when it displeased me.

I dropped Ex Machina after buying too many issues of it. I never liked any of the characters, and the story never caught my interest.

I've started and dropped DC superhero titles many times. They rarely hold my interest.

I felt like dropping Hellblazer after issue #223, but didn't.

I've basically dropped Y: the Last Man. I've never been overly impressed with the writing, and for some reason just stopped enjoying it. Though I am checking out the first three trades.

I didn't read USM till after the 7th trade. I do agree that the Venom arc was trash. The Hog Goblin arc was also a major let down. The covers lied. The Carnage Arc was also rather dumb.

Yes. That's where Bendis invented an alteratate death scenario for Gwen Stacy, to be ignominiously killed by Carnage outside Peter Parker's house without anyone but the reader seeing it happen. It was grossly uninspired compared to her "real" death, being thrown off the New York bridge by Green Goblin, and I'm not sure why the book's editor allowed Bendis to change that. It didn't make me drop the book, but it was one deep low point within it.

Also, I dumped Desolation Jones after the fourth or fifth issue. I'm really sorry, too, because I liked the characters and the concept, and loved the art, but the King of Decompression caused the book to move sooooooo slooooooooowly that I just couldn't waste any more time with it.

I stepped away from that Azzarello western title after the first two issues. I very much liked Frusin's art in it, and thought the story had promise, but the incoherent writing, filled with unexplained occurrences, was impossible to follow.

I was with Outsiders for a number issues early on but I got tired of it for no reason that sticks out in my mind.

you folks are making some great points and i'm obviously not going to win this debate,but let me just clarify:

i meant a fan with half a brain,not some foolish stereotype,shitty fan fiction writing,cranking one out to jennifer garner sai twirling idiot with the dd bedsheets and underoos.

i guess my point was that i believe brubaker had a great start and dropped the ball.he will never get enough credit for all the bat books he's done and for how he helped re-energize the authority,but in regards to daredevil he is my own personnal brett ratner.all kidding aside all the things you guys bring up in regards to structure or talent are for me simply not on display in this specific title.

brubaker is a true talent,on daredevil he has feet of clay.

Hear you on the Ratner...Have I mentioned that he remade my favourite film? :rolleyes:

I've already blabbed all I need to about why I fealt Brubaker's opening arc was underwhelming and gimmicky.

I think you're correct about Brubaker reaping a lot (atleast in terms of narrative/plot points) out of the handover from Bendis.

Following Bendis was going to be tough act, but Bendis placed Brubaker perfectly.

I can't think of anything that I'm getting that is coming close to being dropped, although I've never bought monthlies in bulk. The one I'm probably closest to becoming bored of is The Walking Dead, which has become too bloated and slow moving since they hung the serial killer (and that was, what, a year ago?). It seriously needs to move this city plot along soon, because I reckon we're overdue for a climax - or at least some kind of plot progression - by at least two months.

I'm going to drop Loveless. It's just not what I was hoping for when they first started talking about the series.

Changed my mind. Morrison's Batman is gone from my pull-list.

Morrisons Batman is ok.

Tho the end of the first was a bit of a let down, I really hoping this kid would have some lasting impact on the character.

I think it's safe to assume that the kid will be back later in the run. Either that, or the end of #658 was even more shit than I thought it was (which would be quite an impressive feat, because I really did think it was very shit indeed)

How does one escape or live through being blown up in a submarine? Then again this IS Morrison and The Joker lived through being shot in the face at point blank.. so really. who knows. I was kind upset that the story was only about the Kid. We only saw like 2 issues of Batman action, while the rest a bit lame.

I'm sure they had an escape all planned out.

Batman got away.

He's Batman, he lived through having his back broken and also a tons of other things.

Guest spiderlegs

Ditto. Actually, I dropped it over the summer, but I still read it in the store when I go and get something else. So, I'm staying up on it, but not losing my unearned cash on it anymore.

p.s.mick it's not stupid to love gambit,i adore chamber.there are way too many shitty x-writers who have ruined most of whatever potential alot of the last fifteen to twenty years worth of new mutant characters may have had.

Chamber would have been a shoo in if the Garth Ennis Ultimate X men threat had actually happened, I'd imagine. Christ knows who else apart from Banshee and Black Tom Cassidy he'd have used, though.

Well, Cyclops and Jean Grey have red hair, so they're Irish. Jubilee with her dark hair and dark eyes looks like an Irish tara to me. Logan is short and fighty, so he's an Irishman.

Archangel would make it in there too. As a villain, of course.

Well, Cyclops and Jean Grey have red hair, so they're Irish. Jubilee with her dark hair and dark eyes looks like an Irish tara to me. Logan is short and fighty, so he's an Irishman.

Archangel would make it in there too. As a villain, of course.

Doesn't Banshee have a daughter as well? She'd be in there, obviously, probably singing Pogues songs.

(I thought Cyclops had black hair? Obviously black Irish, mind.)

Logan is short and fighty, so he's an Irishman.

I'm going to be laughing at that one all day.

Cyclops has dark brown hair, so he's actually Welsh.

Banshee's daughter Siryn, is indeed a red-haired Irish lass.

Don't forget Black Tom, an Irishman with a club!

Psylocke is a British snob in an Japanese woman's body, there's her lame brother, and Pete Wisdom, who no doubt would piss off the Devil and get all his friends killed via shotgun blasts to the crotch.

Is there any doubt that Garf should be writing Excalibur?