Sign in to follow this  
Guest spiderlegs

DrrrrrrrrrrrOP!

Considering that the vast majority of the characters in Excalibur are not British.....I'd say "no".

It's a X-book they created just so Chris Claremont could keep writing X-books, and to pay lip service to the original series (which hardly had any British characters either, mind) they stuck the team in England. Didn't you hear? If there's ever a time where Claremont is not writing at least one X-book, the world will end!

Now the Warren Ellis Excalibur series was really good. Still, not very many British characters in it though.

Aren't Captain Britain, Psylocke, and Pete Wisdom all Brits?

Bizarrely Captain Britain isn't actually British.

I thought he was. Have they replaced him with another one now?

Yep! It was one of Chuck Austen's brilliant ideas.

I guess there's some trouble between Marvel and Alan Moore over his Capt. Britain stories, and Marvel was trying to lure Moore to write comics for them (this was 4 or 5 years ago), and in order to do so, they republished the Alan Moore run on Capt. Britain as a Trade and said they'd stop using Alan Moore's Capt. Britain in their books. But, for whatever reason, Marvel decided Capt. Britain was still important enough that they wanted to continue using the name.

And, they gave the idea to create a new Capt. Britain to Chuck Austen, who of course made the most illogical plot in order to do this, and an American ended up becoming Capt. Britain....

Psylocke is a Japanese mystical ninja far more than British by this point.

Pete Wisdom is indeed still British!

So what happened to her brother, then? Another run in with The Fury?

No, actually he was revealed as part of a secret mystical cabal holding the world together through String Theory, or something like that.

I forget the details.

It was Chris Claremont's final story-arc on Uncanny X-Men, and it was a good story compared to other recent day Claremont stories, but I just can't be bothered to think too hard about Uncanny X-Men anymore.

Anyway, he sacrificed himself to save Betsy.

Bendis's Daredevil was great up until after King Of hells Kitchen and Hardcore. Right after that, the series started going down hill for a bit. The old Mobster coming back to reclaim his role sucked, and so did that whole arc about the support group and the demon. That was just trite and wasn't what a book like DD should be about.

The final Bendis arc was alittle bit better. Brubakers first run was actually great stuff. The 2nd arc is turning out to be pretty entertaining and actually a fun ride. I'm actually looking forward to each issue. Brubaker is one of those writers that does his best work when dealing with gritty street level stories. I am also going to look forward to His Iron Fist series this month too.

I'd agree except for the 'old mobster' comment, as a fan since Frank Miller re-invented comics with his DD run I recognize the necessity of a Gladiator storyline. Bendis take was fresh and original and I loved it.

rak:It's not that I hate or dislike you,Far from it I believe you made a noble effort towards being a consistant well produced monthly comic and-

Midnighter(the book,not the guy):Fuck you,why do I feel like this has to do more with Civilwar or 52?

rak:Because your being paranoid and defensive,look I don't even read those books this is about me and you not being right for one another,nothing more.There's only so much a reader tolerates in terms of fill in artists "cough cough-phillips and snejdberg cough" before they simply feel it's time to move on.

Midnighter:So it's over,that's what you're saying?That it's over.

rak:Never say never,maybe I'll see you around the tpb isle and see how you're doing.Until then i talked to the guy at the comic shop and he is aware of our parting so don't go showing up in my pull box unexpected and i need my key back.

rak:It's not that I hate or dislike you,Far from it I believe you made a noble effort towards being a consistant well produced monthly comic and-

Midnighter(the book,not the guy):Fuck you,why do I feel like this has to do more with Civilwar or 52?

rak:Because your being paranoid and defensive,look I don't even read those books this is about me and you not being right for one another,nothing more.There's only so much a reader tolerates in terms of fill in artists "cough cough-phillips and snejdberg cough" before they simply feel it's time to move on.

Midnighter:So it's over,that's what you're saying?That it's over.

rak:Never say never,maybe I'll see you around the tpb isle and see how you're doing.Until then i talked to the guy at the comic shop and he is aware of our parting so don't go showing up in my pull box unexpected and i need my key back.

:laugh:

Just dumped that current Mike Carey thing. It may be good, but the schoolage protagonists thing leaves me utterly cold.

Yep! It was one of Chuck Austen's brilliant ideas.

I guess there's some trouble between Marvel and Alan Moore over his Capt. Britain stories, and Marvel was trying to lure Moore to write comics for them (this was 4 or 5 years ago), and in order to do so, they republished the Alan Moore run on Capt. Britain as a Trade and said they'd stop using Alan Moore's Capt. Britain in their books. But, for whatever reason, Marvel decided Capt. Britain was still important enough that they wanted to continue using the name.

And, they gave the idea to create a new Capt. Britain to Chuck Austen, who of course made the most illogical plot in order to do this, and an American ended up becoming Capt. Britain....

Pete Wisdom is indeed still British!

Aww yes I remember the Avalon Arc of Avengers. Basically some lady "dies" in a car accident and then finda n amulet and becomes Captain Britain, but if her kids see her change into Cap Brit, then they or she will die. Really thats all I remember from that arc. I talked about this with a few friends of mine and they all agreed it was like a peace of shit took a shit.

A-fuckin-greed Christian and Wolvy and it was a waste of a perfectly good OLivier Coipel(who apparently still had a few months left on his parole-I mean avengers contract.)

when I said it's over that's what i meant,over.Done.

Go ahead and have John Romita Sr. draw your cover.Have Frank Miller Do one if you like,hell have the ghost of Travis Charest drop in and add a few pages I aint buying.

(voice inside of head)"but I cost less than three dollars you cheap sonofabitch."

SHUT UP,SHUT UP,SHUT UP!

Guest spiderlegs

I'm done with MIDNIGHTER, too. It was VERY lackluster in the 'pageturner' system of measurements.

I'm like everyone else in that I am contemplating dropping Batman. I just recently dropped HB for the rest of Mina's run past the last issue of Empathy is Crappy, but have recently picked it back up for Mr. Diggle's (I giggle everytime I type that) run. I also am thinking of not finishing the Trials of Shazam mini.

I dropped Batman and I dropped HB(since Ellis I've been with it)for the second half of Mina's run(incidentily also Daredevil in the past year)call me crazy or psychic but i bet you end up dropping Shazam.

-rakrodamus.quatrain #554.

I dropped Batman and I dropped HB(since Ellis I've been with it)for the second half of Mina's run(incidentily also Daredevil in the past year)call me crazy or psychic but i bet you end up dropping Shazam.

-rakrodamus.quatrain #554.

Now that you've dropped those books, you can afford to pick up X-Factor. :D

In the mid of the year,so shall rak go to a rack and with eyes having seen the horrors of the folly of his king and the wars waged between the church and her many growing enemies,this rak shall soon remove entirely from the rack of inferior readings the first X-factor hardcover.

-rakrodamus,quatrain#560

damn,balth you love that friggin book.

I just wish the artwork were more consistent,when I flip through the singles it seems like there always switching the pencilers.By the way Balth,Would you rate this higher,lower or equal to the first run by Peter David,Larry Stroman and Joe Quesada(both in terms of art and story)that was always a favorite of mine,it's pathetic but I still remember the Multiple man song.

I just wish the artwork were more consistent,when I flip through the singles it seems like there always switching the pencilers.By the way Balth,Would you rate this higher,lower or equal to the first run by Peter David,Larry Stroman and Joe Quesada(both in terms of art and story)that was always a favorite of mine,it's pathetic but I still remember the Multiple man song.

Sadly, I only read a few bits of PAD's original run. But from the original stuff I read, I wasn't into them. They were fun to read, but not as much fun as I am reading the stuff now. Art wise, I feel that the new run started off GREAT. After a while, the changing artists messed up a bit of the flow of things and now there's a new regular artist. What I loved from the little stuff I've read from the original run was how kinetic and "out there" the art was compared to now, but it's really much of how different the stories read now. The new stuff have more of a noir feel to it, at least in the first issues. What attracts me to this book are the character developments that flows through each issue and the humor just adds to it and everything just seems real. I've never really cared for Jamie Madrox and his friends, so I still find it surprising that I've grown so attached to all of these characters in this book, especially Rictor and M and of course Multiple Man himself. The continuing sub-plots of Jamie's clones wanting out and having their own personalities is just superb...

Man, I'm rambling...

Just buy the damn trade! :tongue:

I love the original Peter David run on X-Factor. With the new series, I'm sure David is allowed to do more with the title.

David's X-Factor was pretty unheard of for early-90s Marvel. He really pushed the limits as far as he could and got away with a lot.

Marvel was very restrictive in the early-1990s.

David's original X-Factor would have fit better, tone-wise, with DC, who was more willing to take risks.

In the new comic book environment, it's far easier to see a book like Peter David's X-Factor existing, so he's able to go further now than he was able with his original run.