Sign in to follow this  
Guest spiderlegs

DrrrrrrrrrrrOP!

Actually Balth,I'm a bit surprised you weren't that into Davids first run.When the X-titles all rebooted that year and everyone else was all about Portacio on Uncanny,Jim Lee on X-men and Liefeld on X-force I most looked forward to X-factor.(By the way a favorite line of mine has always been cold as ice Pietro saying to a sobbing Val Cooper"Some of my very best friends are mutants,ahh Val how very typical of a flatscan.")

Actually Christian the closest series I could compare to that first run of his(and it's still a ways off)would probably be that JLA series by Giffen and Maguire(i may be missing a J.M.Demeattis in there)did years ago,although if memory serves that book always went way wackier,I think David reigned the humor on his book in nicely.It definetly would have fit in better at dc though,you're right on that one.

By the way Christian,for an extra point do you remember what real person wrote the multiple man song?You're on your honour not to back issue your way out of this one.

I'm actually hoping to get the traded run of PAD's original run, actually. Just that money's been a bit tight. :sleep: But I'll be sure to definitely get them, especially since I read the original run years ago and it was random issues rather than a central running arc.

I was a big fan of David's 1990s X-Factor. As rak pointed out, it was unique among the main X-titles in its artwork and voice.

I like the current incarnation even better; it has all the things the original series does (Multiple Man having multiple issues, anti-mutant/anti-human tension, Rahne acting crazy, the development of Strong Guy, an obnoxious teammember [this time it's M instead of Quicksilver] etc.) PLUS it's got a nice noir feel to it, which David does almost as well as Brubaker (almost). And the art's better this time out too. Too bad Sook left the book....

Anyway, X-Factor is one of the few consistently solid books Marvel's putting out these days, and beyond that it's just plain good. So go get it!

Actually Balth,I'm a bit surprised you weren't that into Davids first run.When the X-titles all rebooted that year and everyone else was all about Portacio on Uncanny,Jim Lee on X-men and Liefeld on X-force I most looked forward to X-factor.(By the way a favorite line of mine has always been cold as ice Pietro saying to a sobbing Val Cooper"Some of my very best friends are mutants,ahh Val how very typical of a flatscan.")

Actually Christian the closest series I could compare to that first run of his(and it's still a ways off)would probably be that JLA series by Giffen and Maguire(i may be missing a J.M.Demeattis in there)did years ago,although if memory serves that book always went way wackier,I think David reigned the humor on his book in nicely.It definetly would have fit in better at dc though,you're right on that one.

By the way Christian,for an extra point do you remember what real person wrote the multiple man song?You're on your honour not to back issue your way out of this one.

Peter David's X-Factor was the only X-book worth reading post-1980s Claremont until Ellis' run on Excalibur.

New Mutants died after Claremont stopped writing it. X-Force did not exist until John Francis Moore's run in the late-90s. I pretend that all that early-90s teen angst and roided out superhero bodies with big guns crap didn't even happen.

You're asking me to remember details of a series I haven't read in at least 10 years, by memory? Yikes!

Yeah, comparing the original David X-Factor to DeMatteis and Giffen on JLA is probably the closest example, although X-Factor was more grounded.

David is an absolute master of mixing humour and drama in one story, without it reading forced. Hell, David can mix the two in the same panel!

DeMatteis is also good at that though.