birdchild

New Constantine trailer

I saw the trailer with Oceans 12, along with Batman Begins but since this is about Constantine; I figured I'd go ahead and post my opinion.

I really enjoyed the trailer and while it's not the most faithful adaption to John. I believe it's fair to say there's some Constantine moments in it, like for instance when Rachel's character asks to be pointed in the right direction, instead he points to left and gives a slight sarcastic chuckle.

Granted I more likely wouldn't have casted Keanu for the role. But I think there are far worse actors than him, but I happen to enjoy him and find him to be a decent actor, if anyone has seen the Gift it's obvious he can act with the right director, actors, and writers.

I mean they could've casted Ben Affleck. :icon_2gun:

But seriously though, I think this movie will surprise everyone and it'll end up being pretty good.

I think he was pointing out the door. And yes, I also thought that was vaguely Johnish. I think, if they make the movie scary in the way slasher movies are, the same teeming millions of snotty teenages will go watch it, for the same reason.

Two things are laughable:

"I've seen Hell blaze through these streets."

As has since been pointed out, that's taken direct from the comic and I think it's a nice nod to the source material - funnily enough I think it works better here than it did in the comic as it doesn't sound quite so self-concious.

No fair only quoting half the 'I see things' line as it naturally sounds silly once you cut the other half out!

The international trailer does two things - (1) makes Constantine look like a movie I want to see and (2) treats us to the delivery of the line "This Is Constantine. John Constantine" and it doesn't sound like shit. So job done there I reckon.

The voice over really works, for me anyway.

Nope, they're only available in shit-arse .wma (?) format - presumably there'll be .mpg and .mov versions online soonish.

edit : the pointy bit works well in the script and might stand up just fine in the movie but in the trailer it just doesn't click.

The bathtub is a much longer scene where John practially dro... well, I don'tr want to ruin it but it's very intense and the explosion of the tub is the very end.

Ah, so there is an explosion in Constantine. What a surprise. :glare:

There are many things you can accuse it of (unseen) but it is not an action movie.

The second half of the trailer sure makes it look like one.

I also liked the few seconds where the screen went black and we were treated to a female voice, presumably Weisz', moaning and groaning. I'm sure glad this will be an intelligent movie and not some slickly shot violence and pseudo-sex show aimed mostly at young males. 8-)

Two things are laughable:

(1) "I've seen Hell blaze through these streets."

As has since been pointed out, that's taken direct from the comic and I think it's a nice nod to the source material - funnily enough I think it works better here than it did in the comic as it doesn't sound quite so self-concious.

(2) No fair only quoting half the 'I see things' line as it naturally sounds silly once you cut the other half out!

The international trailer does two things - (1) makes Constantine look like a movie I want to see and (2) treats us to the delivery of the line "This Is Constantine. John Constantine" and it doesn't sound like shit. So job done there I reckon.

The voice over really works, for me anyway.

(1) was stupid then, and it's stupid now. At the time, I liked Ellis's London monologues, but shoehorning "Hell" and "blaze" in there is twee.

(2) I was not quoting it out of context, but using the shorthand way of referring to that whole idea - that Constanteen sees demons that no-one else sees, which is the movie's way of spoonfeeding the LCD viewers. It is not a Bladerunner "I've seen questionable things" speech, but a Sixth Sense "I see dead people". The latter would have worked (qv most of the Ellis quote) and a voiceover could have avoided unnecessary plot additions exposition.

The bathtub is a much longer scene where John practially dro... well, I don'tr want to ruin it but it's very intense and the explosion of the tub is the very end.

Ah, so there is an explosion in Constantine. What a surprise. :glare:

Yes, just like that dang explosion of rose pedals in that action flick American Beauty. I hate when they do that...

The new trailer is great, but it's a shame they had to throw in the obligatory "up tempo music" bit.

Thoughts:

1- "This is Constantine..." still sounds shite to my ears, and don't forget that Chaz is out practicing it in his cab, which implies that John says it all the time. The comic-book John's not the sort of guy who sits around thinking up a catchphrase for himself then throws it into every second exorcism. If they cut out the Chaz bit it won't be too bad.

2- Like the new logo. Shame we couldn't have that very first scratchy one though.

3- "I've seen Hell blaze through these streets" - the line never bothered me, but poor Keanu can't deliver it.

4- "Into the light I command thee" sounds shit, though I did like the distorted voice version in the previous trailer. Hopefully they'll do that in the actual film.

5- The transition to Hell is awesome.

6- "He believes in you" is still shit, even after I realised it was ripped off of Good Omens. At least there it sort of works in context.

7- The bit with the speeded-up footage, wooshing sounds and exploding bath - where's that from? I'm thinking a David Lynch trailer, maybe Fire Walk With Me? Or the end of a Twin Peaks episode? If they'd just cut to the logo after all that, it would have been a really good trailer.

8- The Holy Shotgun looks really dumb.

9- Mostly a really great trailer, though. If I knew nothing about the comic, I'd be looking it up ASAP.