Sign in to follow this  
JohnMcMahon

The Totally Off-Topic Movie Thread

Much as I love Hellblazer, I wouldn't say it's on the level of LOTR. Then again, not much is.

oh, boy. how wrong can you be. What do they teach you there, in Vikingia...?

<<<EDIT>>>

oh, and my girlfriend kinda-sorta looks a bit like that Willow chick.

Alyson Hannigan is lovely, but she has "mean lips". I like her much better than Sarah Michelle and I've seen some beautiful pictures of her in In Style. Much better dresser than Willow. (Which ain't difficult)

Didn't you get the reference ?

She looks too much like a 12 year old in that picture you posted!

I got the reference, I was just baffled by the sentiment.

I've never seen a 12-year-old in knickers and bra. Should I be worried about you?

Too young looking and too skinny in those pics...although I will admit she's an attractive woman.

Yeah.

I don't think I've ever been with a woman with so little shape to her.

I agree, she's a bit too skinny. It's her hair and face that appeals to me, though I'm pretty sure she appeals a LOT less to me than to James...:p

Rogan: What do you mean, that Hellblazer is as good/better than LOTR, or that there is lots that is as good as/better than LOTR?

Too young looking and too skinny in those pics...although I will admit she's an attractive woman.

Yeah.

I don't think I've ever been with a woman with so little shape to her.

But SHE'S SO PRETTY!

I think he means that Hellblazer is as good or better than LOTR and  that there are lots of things that are as good or better than LOTR?

From now on, Tom is my official translator.

More depth can be found in Tolkien's "Leters from Father Christmas" than in his LOTR books.

I keep mentioning Tom Bombadil, but he's memorable, and not in a good way. When I was reading one of those LOTR books, I pretty much stopped once I got a strong dose of TB. I understand that this is very common. I thought the books were cutesy and silly. They're fine for Tolkien enthusiasts, I suppose, but are they great literature? I don't think so....

Well, I think it's pointless to argue over this. I for one LIKED Tom Bombadil, and I thought the books were terrific, both for entertainment, and as literature. But we're not going to agree about this anyway... You didn't like it, and that's OK by me.

But I think you have to agree that the way he created the entire world of Midgard in such a way that possibly 80-90% of fantasy literature written later on has been derivative in some sense, speaks at least to the wealth of IDEAS he had. And that the amount of work he put into creating a world complete with a mythos, sagas, history, and different races and people who aren't just "dressed up humans" merits respect. A work that has this kind of influence can't be totally devoid of qualities.

I know. I just wanted to say those things, since I like TolkIEn's work. ;)

Poor, Rogan. Btw, even though he was probably being ironic, what Tom said was that you have to be a big fat nerd to think Tolkien's work is great literature.

Which is funny, coming from someone who likes people dressed up in spandex uniforms :lol:

Poor, Rogan. Btw, even though he was probably being ironic, what Tom said was that you have to be a big fat nerd to think Tolkien's work is great literature.

Which is funny, coming from someone who likes people dressed up in spandex uniforms :lol:

yet he never claims that JLEurope is great literature. which you do for Tolkien.