JohnMcMahon

Preacher the movie? Televangelism!

dazzler    0
I don't think there's any way this could be as bad as Daredevil. I'm going to try to stay optimistic about this.

I think HBO is the perfect place to bring high quality graphic novels to life. That said I'm crossing my fingers, but I'm not holding my breath.

James    38
James Wilkinson as Jesse.

You're just saying that so you can be Cassidy, aren't you?

The multiple personality woman from Heroes would make a good Tulip, but obviously she's taken.

Pooka    785

Jesse Custer:

jakemaskell.jpg

Tulip:

taz.jpg

Cassidy:

perryfenwick-prof1b.jpg

C'mon, let's have an all Eastenders cast!

Pooka    785

He played Danny Moon. He was awful. I just think he looks a bit like Jesse.

I think that picture of Billy is bang on, though!

electricinca    89

Yes of course. I do remember him now actually he was in it when I watching.

You're right about that photo of Billy. :laugh:

But can he do Oirish though that's the question.

Guest spiderlegs   
Guest spiderlegs

And can he pronounce "Proinsias"? And did I spell that correctly? And did I spell correctly correctly? And did I spell I corr...gihk...

Tony B.    50

Every time I think of who I'd like playing Cassidy, Bill Paxton in Near Dark flies into my head. I think Garff watched that movie as well.

Abhimanyu    20
Every time I think of who I'd like playing Cassidy, Bill Paxton in Near Dark flies into my head. I think Garff watched that movie as well.

Yeah, he nails the look, doesnt he?

But I don't think Paxton can pull off Irish. He's a good ol' boy from Texas and I don't think I've ever heard him ditch that accent. Not that I'm saying he's not a good actor...Frailty was definitive evidence on that front.

Tony B.    50

Oh no, that just made me wonder if they'll do any "oh he's not red-haired and Irish, he's a blond surfer from California vampire!" type stuff.

Pooka    785
And can he pronounce "Proinsias"? And did I spell that correctly? And did I spell correctly correctly? And did I spell I corr...gihk...

How do you pronounce it, anyway?

Pooka    785

Yeah, he nails the look, doesnt he?

But I don't think Paxton can pull off Irish. He's a good ol' boy from Texas and I don't think I've ever heard him ditch that accent. Not that I'm saying he's not a good actor...Frailty was definitive evidence on that front.

I see Cassidy as someone more withered and spindly. Paxton's pretty macho, really.

How old was Cassidy when he was bitten? Still in his teens? The flashback to the story of his change made him seem like he was still growing. He never really looks like a man, does he? He looks like a man in a boy's body. To me, anyway.

Shawn    297

Some interesting insights into Preacher from Mark Steven Johnson

http://blog.newsarama.com/2006/12/01/mark-...talks-preacher/

So, when I went into HBO I said very simply, here’s the comic, there’s seventy-five issues plus the four-issue Saint of Killers, every issue in an hour. It’s a six-year show. And HBO, God bless them, went, cool!

Johnson goes on to say that he’d like to have guest directors, such as Kevin Smith and Robert Rodriguez.

It may just work. I don't think 1 issue exactly matches 1 hour of TV.

Guest spiderlegs   
Guest spiderlegs

That has to be an exagerration because that's what every comic creator dreams about.

Fredi    0

God! I can't wait.. shame that I'm still reading the comics and probably the series will start before I've read them all.

Abhimanyu    20
God! I can't wait.. shame that I'm still reading the comics and probably the series will start before I've read them all.

I doubt it. This show will take a while to shoot/produce I think. Judging from the articles, its only just gotten a definite greenlight.

Mark    332
So, when I went into HBO I said very simply, here’s the comic, there’s seventy-five issues plus the four-issue Saint of Killers, every issue in an hour. It’s a six-year show. And HBO, God bless them, went, cool!

Oh, great. So, that means they'll be keeping in all the shit bits which any sane adaptor would remove before the project was out of the planning stages, eh? Like, for example, almost every scene involving a gay character in the entire series? Or that story about the horse-eating Frenchman? Or Salvation, in its entirety?

And what kind of fucktarded logic results in one-hour-per-22-page-issue episodes, anyway? That's crazy-thinking.

Johnson goes on to say that he’d like to have guest directors, such as Kevin Smith and Robert Rodriguez.

"He'd like to have" and "there will be" are far from the same thing.

Am I the only one who still isn't remotely excited about this show, then? It might just be my grouchiness talking - after the first couple of trades, I don't actually like Preacher very much - but I still can't see it making for a great TV show, especially not if it's adapted on a more-or-less straight "one issue=one show, and we're keeping all of it, even though Ennis himself has told us that we really don't need to" basis. Ah, well. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong, and then you can all laugh at me. Go on, I can take it.

Tony B.    50
Am I the only one who still isn't remotely excited about this show, then? It might just be my grouchiness talking -

Perhaps.... :tongue:

andy    2

I too never really liked Preacher that that much. It had its moments but I think I dropped the title three or four times during its run out of lack of interest. Despite the "mature" label on the covers, I never really found it to be that. It always kind of felt that none of the characters acted like real people and they all talked like Garth Ennis. I think it's popularity among young men springs from the fact that the title has that sort of adolescent idea of what would be considered shocking in a comic. Fucking animals, sadistic violence, and having God bite out someone's eye, etc. always felt like Ennis was attempting to shock the mommies and daddies of his worldview than they were actual interesting concepts.

Plus I always found Steve Dillon to be a boring artist.

electricinca    89

I really enjoyed reading Preacher month to month as it was published but as time has gone on I like it less and less.

The idea that the TV show should be a direct translation of every single issue is retarded let alone the idea that 1 issue = 1 tv episode.

The material is too sparse for that. Some story arcs could be beefed up a little with more material but some ought to be dropped entirely. I reckon that there's not more than 2-3 seasons worth of material in the Preacher comics.

I'd be interested to see a HBO Preacher series but I'm not giddy in anticipation of it.

Mark    332

This is just off the top of my head, but I'd break it down into vaguely this sort of structure:

- Season One: Gone To Texas and Until The End Of The World. Introduces the characters, gives plenty of backstory, sets up the world with some decent mid-level action. If the show flops, it won't have cost them an absolute fortune to make. It'd be possible to spin Jesse's final confrontation with his Grandma into a reasonable conclusion to a self-contained season, too, while still leaving things open to continuation if it's a success.

- Season Two: Proud Americans, a few bits of Dixie Fried, and War In The Sun.

Rescuing Cassidy from the Grail in France, leading into his backstory and a fuller explanation of the Grail's true nature. Culminating with Jesse's 'death' in an action-packed season finale, complete with killer cliffhanger. Lose the Anne-Rice-parody N'Awlins vampires entirely, and possibly save Herr Starr's backstory for the third season, to keep the middle season's arc more tightly focused on Cassidy, and also to provide a bit more 'oomph' to the otherwise slightly lacklustre final confrontation between Jesse and Starr in Season Three.

-Season Three: All Hell's A-Coming and Alamo, bulked out with bits of backstory taken from earlier trades, including Starr's origins and the Saint Of Killers special.

Speaks for itself, really - Jesse and Tulip reunited, Tulip's history, final confrontations all-round, and the big finish. I'd probably shuffle some of the action around a bit though, so that Season Two can still end with Jesse's plane-diving self-sacrifice, but holding back on some of the epic action of War In The Sun to provide a bit more spectacle for the final season, if at all possible. That may not be achievable, though.

People who remember/care about Preacher rather more than me could probably come up with something a lot better than that, but as a basic plan of attack, that makes considerable sense to me. There's certainly nothing like the "six years' worth" of material Johnson seems to be counting on, at any rate.

Tony B.    50

That would be perfect; because if it got axed after the first season I would've already seen my favorite story arc.