JohnMcMahon

Preacher the movie? Televangelism!

Tony B.    50

Johnson is counting on doing all of the backstory/minis, but that is still not six years' worth. At most four, but that's including weak stuff like Salvation and Naked City.

Mark    333

I think the real strength of the 3-season arc I broke down above (and again, it would almost certainly need to be subject to some reworking - I really don't remember the precise details of the over-arching plot of the series clearly enough to come up with a more detailed synopsis) is that it keeps the focus tightly on the central cast, with each season focusing on them in sequence - first Jesse, then Cassidy, and finally Tulip. That's more or less the way Ennis did it too, so it'd still be faithful to the thematic core of the series, without inflexibly hanging on to a whole slew of largely sub-par material which really isn't all that necessary for the purposes of a TV narrative anyway.

Guest spiderlegs   
Guest spiderlegs

It won't go its full run, come on, fellas! HBO gets bored QUICK with its series or the creators take a powder (CARNIVALE, anyone? DEADWOOD?)

Even if it rocks the universe, I'm predicting 3 years at the most and probably it will do 2. If they remain faithful to the plotline, not enough people will 'get it.'

Mark and Andy get to sit in the "bitchbox." :blink:

it would be grerat if it did run for 6 years so all of the isues could be done.....but im afraid what has been said on here is gonna be true. HBO may just decide that after 3 years to call it quits and skip the last story arc just to finish it up.

:icon_mgun:

coralys    0

I found Preacher so overrated. I started reading it thinking it would be the greatest thing ever, but as I progressed through the trades, I became disappointed. The first two trades are really good, though, and I might be interested in this HBO series if they cut out the crappy useless stuff. I really hope they don't try to stretch it to six seasons, because it'll be very little action each season and cancelled, too.

Guest spiderlegs   
Guest spiderlegs

Because it means...your...doom...I can make it happen! My daddy was the devil, the old one in the red leotard before they changed his costume...

James    38

The one issue per episode thing is nuts and will, I'm sure, be dropped pretty early on.

I like Mark's plan, but I think that there's not really enough in the first couple of books to sustain 12/13 episodes, which seems to be HBO's usual season length. So here's what I'd do (bear in mind I haven't read Preacher for about four years and am trying to avoid it so I can forget what happened and enjoy it afresh)...

Season One

Episodes 1-3; the first half of Gone to Texas (4 issues)

Episodes 4-5; the Reaver-Cleaver story (3 issues)

Episode 6; Tulip's backstory from the penultimate volume (2 issues)

Episodes 7-9; All in the Family (5 issues)

Episodes 10-12; the sex detectives and Cassidy's kidnapping (5 issues)

That would leave the series with a cliffhanger, but with the option to rewrite the last couple of episodes if it's cancelled.

Season Two

Episode 1; One Man's War (the Starr special)

Episodes 2-4; Jesse v The Grail (6 issues)

Episode 5-6; Cassidy's transformation/arrival in New York/meeting 'Lestwat' (2 issues plus the Cassidy special, with a bit of padding and introing the voodoo guy from Dixie Fried)

Episode 7-9; (6 very thin-on-plot issues: Dixie Fried, but with Amy's role bumped up a bit - obviously that would mean relocating her from New York though)

Episode 10; (One-off episode showing Starr operating as the new Allfather, could be culled from All Hell's A-Comin', except the dog takes his foot, not his cock)

Episodes 11-12 (The Saint of Killers mini, bookended by Jesse telling Cassidy and Tulip what he saw in the trance. Ends with Jesse saying God killed the Saint's family)

Season Three

Episodes 1-2; War in the Sun (4 issues; ends with Jesse falling out of the plane)

Episode 3; Cassidy and Tulip, Starr v cannibals - except they eat the remains of his leg with his cock and balls (2 issues combined)

Episode 4; Jesse and Jonny Lee Wombat; Arseface v fame; the road to Salvation (1 issue, with elements from other issues in All Hell's A-Comin' and Salvation)

Episodes 5-7; bits of Salvation: Quincannon + KKK, Jesse as Sheriff, the return of Jesse's mum, end with Jesse's vision after the plane fall. Arseface seen on TV a bit (8 cocking issues!)

Episode 8; Jesse and Tulip reunited, Arseface's fall from Graceland (1 issue + bits of others)

Episode 9; Jesse finds out about Cassidy, confronts him at the end and tells him to fuck off (bits of 3 issues)

Episodes 10-12; Alamo, but considerably shorter (7 issues)

This way you get all of the important character info for Jesse and Tulip up front, saving Cassidy's backstory to the second season (which is fine, because the fans will like him and want to learn more. Starr's backstory is in the second season to make him a little less cartoonishly evil and because it would feel irrelevant if left till later on).

The other advantage with this order is that the action ramps up from season to season - gunfights and fistfights in season one, the Masada assault and cemetary gunfight (which can be made more impressive if required) in season two and then all-out cowboy v tanks, Jesse v God and cowboy v angels excitement for season three. The only massive problem that I can see is that there might not be enough to fill out the third season but I'm sure they can come up with some original stuff by then.

Notable absences: That one about cattle rustling (shit), lots of Salvation (shit), Good Ol' Boys (too expensive and irrelevant), all of the stories about Jesse's dad (irrelevant - just have Jesse mention growing up with his mother's tales of how his daddy was a war hero), the dull bits from All Hell's a-Comin' and the story about Starr v his mentor (both unneccessary padding, though I'm in favour of working the dog/cock disaster in there somehow).

Notable additions/changes: Some kind of explanation for where the hell the vampires came from, putting Tulip's and Starr's stories earlier on in the show where they're actually relevant and needed, and working relevant bits of The Story of You-Know-Who into Arseface's life as a rock star (either as flashbacks or as part of a documentary on him).

James    38

Well, the Starr and Saint of Killers specials are actually important to the main series. Of the rest of them, only the Jesse/Tulip one was offensively bad (and featured an annoying retcon too).

Guest spiderlegs   
Guest spiderlegs

I think they could do both of those first two you mentioned as situational flashbacks during one of the "main" issue episodes.

James    38

Incidentally: cheers for knocking my elaborate, hours-in-the-making, deeply boring episode breakdown off the page. :( ;)

Mark    333
Incidentally: cheers for knocking my elaborate, hours-in-the-making, deeply boring episode breakdown off the page. :( ;)

I knew someone would be able to take my half-hearted effort and turn it into something coherent. From what I recall of the series, your proposal would come about as close as I think anyone could conceivably come to making Preacher into a worthwhile TV show - you've left in several things which I'd get rid of right off the bat on the grounds that they're unutterably shit, and to hell with any damage their removal does to the overall coherency of the story, but since I'm not really a fan of the series, my judgement on that sort of thing probably shouldn't hold too much weight.

James    38

Yeah, I have a much higher tolerance level for Ennis's homophobia and arsing about than you do. And I think some of the more absurd elements - sex detectives, armadillo buggerers, cannibals and so on - are an important part of the comic's character. Removing the more cartoony elements would be like making Jesse a blonde Brit in a trenchcoat. I'd be interested to know in more detail which bits you'd rather I left off the list though.

Writing that really did make it clear to me how badly the comic went off track, though, especially when Ennis realised that he could play loose with the arc stories and heavy with the padding, which came somewhere around Dixie Fried. After that, you get far more comic skits and tangents (the talk radio sections, Johnny Lee Wombat) and far fewer tightly-written plotlines. Hell, Salvation was all tangent.

Also, while I don't honestly believe that they'll stick strictly to the comic's formula or get renewed past three seasons, I do wonder what they would do if they made it to the point where Cassidy and Tulip have to vanish for a couple of months. Would the actors be reluctant to sign a contract for just a couple of episodes a season after being a regular for four or five years?

Red    467

I'll volunteer for the bitchbox too. My possibly greatest niggle with the whole series is the Saint of Killers, whom I found to be a character of such shittiness that it turned me off the entire series.

...and I have absolutely no faith in HBO doing this well.

Guest spiderlegs   
Guest spiderlegs

Red: with your first point, I must diagree. I loved the Saint of Killers because invincible adversaries are quite imposing when done well (the Borg, Sauron, etc).

On your second, I sadly concur, hoping to be proven so, so very wrong, of course.

Mark    333

If the relatively one-dimensional (but still occasionally entertaining) Saint Of Killers was my biggest problem with Preacher, I'd be very, very happy indeed.

Guest spiderlegs   
Guest spiderlegs

He was a huge character in the first 2-3 issues. Or just the first issue? He made mincemeat of Sheriff Root's boys and then the feds, too, right? All in the first 12-15 pages. Right? My recollection might be a bit foggy...

James    38

I'm talking about the series as a whole. He was in the first storyline quite a lot, then disappeared (aside from a one-or-two-page cameo) until the end of Crusaders. Then, miniseries aside, there's nothing until War in the Sun - and aside from shooting a few dozen people he doesn't do much there. Then he vanishes until the last arc.